Joe Bonamassa

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vanderkalin, Mar 31, 2013.

1. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

A couple of things. First I am what a few would erroneously call a hater, I never cared for him much. Second, I am a total amateur hack, so I know my opinion means little to anyone, much less Joe. Having said that, in yet another attempt to give him a chance I am sitting through his acoustic show from Vienna and I am 3 songs in and am liking his playing much better. And most surprising of all is I am liking his voice. Long story short, this piss-ant thinks Joe could go acoustic in a bigger way and probably gain some fans, as even my wife caught some of this last night and commented that she liked it, and she hates guitar wanking. This is all in my opinion of course.

2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

This thread will probably not end well but I'll give you an A for effort. I thought the acoustic show was just okay.

3. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Best thing of his that you'll find on TV is the BCC concert Palladia airs from time to time.

4. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Yeah your probably right.

5. firefitz65

firefitz65 Member

I like his playing, although I am having a hard time thinking about paying 80 bucks for his concert when he comes to Detroit this May. Actually I have a hard time paying 80 dollars for any band.

6. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

I've seen him twice in a very small venue (bar) here in my hometown when he still wore flannel shirts and long hair and had the fresh kid look. Loved him then.
    He lost me when he went with the slicked back hair, sunglasses and dark suits.

7. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Supporting Member

His playing is a bit generic for my tastes. But I heard him in that Black Country Communion Band ( Sorry , yes I know - I may have named it wrong - Please dont shoot me for that transgression).
    Anyway - Thought they sounded like the second coming of Zep. Good rock. But I read a recent interview with him , where they asked hom about that band. Man - he has NO loyalty for the fans. He sounded VERY self-centered and totally uninterested in why people like him or his fans interests. Not a warm & Fuzzy guy.

8. bogmonster

bogmonster Member

I agree with both sides here. I'm glad that there is someone like Joe Bonamassa filling that void in the guitar world right now. To me, though - there was always something that seems kinda inauthentic about some of his music and playing - like he was playing riffs that he learned and mimicing vocal styles - and trying to show off a bit (but not as well as some other guys who really get the blues). However - I saw a lot of the acoustic show and I agree. It changed my mind a bit on him. What really seemed different on that show was that he was starting to sound unique, like this is what Joe Bonamassa and only Joe Bonamassa does and he surprised me. I hope to hear more of the same from him, as I think he's going to evolve into a great great artist.

9. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Yeah, it seems like he natuarly fits better into the country blues, rootsy niche. as far as his electric side I have heard that he was really good in the Tele hot country/ rock style, and I would like to see that. He did get tutored by one of the best in that genre.

10. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

when ever I see his name the BONANZA TV prog tune runs through my head

dum da ra rum d ra rum

Joe Bonanza

and the Hoss Cartwright singers

11. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

What album is essential Joe? I will check it out.

12. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

And I just checked him out doing Well Well live with Beth Hart. Ripped my face off. Dude does have it in him, he just needs the right situation, and that is not with all the pressure of being the only front person, the only name on the marquee.

13. Tweedman

Tweedman Member

I'm not a JB flag waver but I can very much appreciate talent and this man has a ton of it. He is an incredible guitarist and imo a good singer as well. I get the feeling that alot of people don't like him because they think he is a rich kid or that he hasn't paid his dues. I don't have a clue if either of these are true or not and it doesn't matter to me. I really don't care. All I know is that I enjoy hearing the sounds that he gets from his guitar.

14. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Not sure which interview you are referring to, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. One thing you'll never hear about JB among the sea of ridiculous reasons people choose not to like him or his music, is that he isn't loyal to or doesn't care about his fans.

15. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I like Joe, especially the BCC stuff.

16. EataPeach

EataPeach Supporting Member

I met him after a show and he was very genuine and accommodating.
    Chatted for awhile and seemed very appreciative of the crowd.

I don't get why he gets ragged on so much by a bunch of back seat drivers wishing they had the wheel.
    But I would love to be able to play half of what he's forgotten.

17. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Silver Supporting Member

LOL - I think your assessment has missed the mark. Hang around the tour bus after any show, when he ALWAYS comes out and meets his fans and has a chat with them, then report back.

Joe is also always on Twitter, Facebook etc. and actually interacts with his fans on there directly. No PR person tweeting for him or anything. He also regularly chimes in on his forum and discusses gear etc. with the members there. Don't see too many of the TGP favourites doing that on any social media platforms.

Joe has *always* said that BCC was merely a side project from the beginning, and that his solo career would always be his priority. Unfortunately, it turned into a clash of egos when Glenn Hughes saw how popular BCC was becoming, and how it was basically a last gasp for him (Glenn) to make the big time again. I really liked BCC too, and hope that they can continue to make music, but there is a lot of skewed press out there about this, especially from GH fans.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

I tend to divorce liking music from the way the performer looks or a perceived interpretation of his personality.

However Joe gained my respect the moment he invited Martin Barre to jam with him at Wolftrap.

19. m1911

m1911 Member

Me too....

I wish I could...

People say Joe is a nice guy, and I don't blame him for making as much money as he can......his new persona turns me off unfortunately.

(TO ME) The following video illustrates cool....versus someone who is just trying too hard....(Maybe Joe could jam a few more notes in there to "Beat" Derek at Guitar :rolleyes: )

20. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I totally agree with the highlighted, and will add that for me his major fault (if you can call it that) was always that his songs are so utterly forgettable. Not bad at all actually, just so very much in keeping with their genres and with nothing in particular to distinguish them.

That said, I haven't seen the acoustic show and I'll gladly do so in the hope of having my opinion changed. There's never been any doubt that the man could play. Thanks for the recommendation