K&K Pure Western Mini PUP

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mrmojorisin, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

Just put these into my Taylor 810. All I can say is WOW! Way better than the Expression and Aura systems Taylor uses. And installation was SIMPLE.

Sign me very happy.

2. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

"Better" is in the ear of the beholder, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have K&K's in all my guitars now after trying just about everything out there. The live sound of my Western Mini equipped little Martin (which I've had for several years) has caused quite a few converts among the folks I've toured with as well as numerous FOH engineers.

Most natural sound I've found next to a mic, and very unintrusive to the guitar.

Congrats... it's always great to hear someone thrilled with an acoustic pup, which can be such a struggle.

Peace - jv

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I am also completely taken by the natural acoustic tones of K&K Pure Western minis. Such a low maintenance and non-invasive pup too- no batteries, no knobs, etc. I can use a LR Baggs Para D/I to dial it in, but most of the time I'm fine plugging into the PA. Need to have them installed in my Little Martin and jumbo Guild next... they sound AMAZING in both dreads and 000's.

4. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

This is the pickup system I'm planning to put in my GAD 40C... when I buy it.

How is it as far as handling feedback? I have one of the black rubber feedback busters I can stick in the soundhole if need be, but it would be very cool if I didn't need to worry about it.

5. David Myka

David Myka Gold Supporting Member

I also love the K&K Western Mini. I put them in my Dragonfly archtop electrics and find that they sound much more pure than their archtop pickup (which sounded muted and scoped). I have then in my acoustic as well. The installation was very simple and quite unobtrusive and I really love the sound.

About feedback, sure they feedback just like most acoustic pickups. Since this is usually at a frequency equal to the body cavity resonance a notch filter works well.

~David

6. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Ditto . Love mine .

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

+1 to everything above. Isn't it cool when something works so well, is so simple and is so reasonably priced?

8. PunkyBub

PunkyBub Member

+1 - Absolutely the best sound out there regardless of $ spent. Plus - and this is pretty big - nothing under the saddle to mess with the transference of tone from string to top.

9. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

Don't you know it. This was a BIG deal for me. I am convinced that any UST really messes with the tone and sustain of the guitar.

10. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

... and no more of that stringy piezo "quack" (yuck). Also with a vinatge jack, which has a 1/8 jack built into a regular sized endpin, there is zero drilling or mods, and all you have is the three little transducers glued to the soundboard. I have a 1946 00-17 that I am considering equipping with a K&K with that setup so I can tour with it. I really don't want to do anything to that guitar, but that setup would be about as unintrusive as it could get.

Peace - jv

11. JB

JB Member

Have one put into my Larrivee L03R. Sounds absolutely amazing at a great price.

12. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

I have had one in a Martin OM28 and a friend has one in a Greven Jumbo and both need the bass to be totally dialed out on the board and Baggs Para DI. Way too bassy. Is my install the problem, or are these always like this? I am ready to pull mine and try somethig else unless it can be improved.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I think it depends on the guitar and as a result the placement. In my Collings CJ I get a lot of bottom end but it's easily dialed out. In my carbon guitar, it's less bassy. Both guitars sound fine direct and dial in beautifully with reasonable amounts of EQ.

You might want to contact K&K to check on your install placement.

14. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Sounds like the transducers were installed with too much spacing between them (I've seen and heard this before in a few guitars). Call Deiter at K&K and he will help you out. One of the best customer service companies I have ever dealt with.

Good luck - jv

15. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Thumbs up for the full size too, beats heck out of piezos to my ear. I had the budget K&K pre which I did not care for, but they shine with a quality pre.

16. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I have the mini installed on my Larrivee OM-03R and it's also somewhat bassy. From what I've read on the Larrivee forum this is common, but easily fixed by a preamp system like the Para DI or Pure Preamp. Or you can dial out the bass via EQ if you want. The bright switch on my electric amp does this well. Otherwise I love the sound.

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have one in my Martin HD-28 and love it.

18. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

How many of ya'll did the KK installation yourself? It seems like it'd be easy except for the reaming part (would I be pissed if I cracked the block or reamed crookedly).

19. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Can anyone recommend which K&K is best for doing the hedges type fingerstyle through 80yr vintage acoustics that cant be cut or messed with??? killer problem indeed....

20. stratofied

stratofied Member

I'm very interested in getting this system for my guitar. For those planing to do the install I found this tutorial.