Keeley Modded TS9/DS1/MT2/BD2...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brianetics, Mar 31, 2012.

1. brianetics

brianetics Member

I've heard a lot of good things about these pedals, have yet to hear one in action. Can anyone recommend me one to try out or something that might spark my interest? I recently picked up an Ampeg VT-22 and would like to get a nice plexi style over drive out of a pedal. A lot of people rave about the TS9 but I'm open to anything.

2. Jimboshappy

Jimboshappy Member

I own 3/4 of those pedals. Don't care much for the DS1. The TS9 is nice and really good for crunchy rythm. The BD is good and seems a little smoother to my rig, good tone on both TS9 and BD. Of course it depends on where you set the knobs but I find the TS9 more raspy, BD more bottom heavy and smooth.

3. brianetics

brianetics Member

Thanks man. I'm still getting used to this VT-22. I've never had so much clean head room! I just need to get my overdriven sounds right and I'll be blowing people's faces off.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've had the SD-1 and BD-2. Both great. The SD-1 was indistinguishable from the FD2 vintage mode, and the BD-2's phat switch is DA BOMB. Always toy with the idea of another Keeley BD-2, I just love that switch so much. :)

FWIW, I've also had the Keeley Sparkle Drive. Not my favorite, but still good... I just much preferred the SD1/BD2.

5. GAD

GAD Wrinkled Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Keeley TS808 and love it because of the true bypass and real footswitch. Doesn't hurt that it sounds killer too.

6. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

I've had the BD2, SD1, and TS9. The BD2 with the phat switch is the best Blues Driver mod I've heard. It makes it fatter and more punchy. Doesn't add the mid hump that the TS9 has.

The SD1 is an improvement over stock. less bleed through the bypass, and smoother. Mine is the 5 star GE with the swappable IC's. I liked it with the burr brown.

I don't have the TS9, but the TS9DX Flexi which has both Baked and Mod+. It's the most versatile tubescreamer out there. True bypass, improved modes, and more usable modes of the DX. Baked mod is more high gain, and the Mod+ is a cleaner sound with mids. Just an awesome pedal.

7. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

The MT-2 twlight zone mod is a big improvement IMO.
    I also had the TS9 mod plus it was a good too.

8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I had the SD-1 a long time ago; I remember it still being a bit noisy, but a very nice tone/feel.

9. dankmyers

dankmyers Supporting Member

My BD-2 rocks. So fat and big sounding.

10. morsecode

morsecode Supporting Member

I've owned all 4 and thought that they were great improvements over the manufacturer versions. I still have the TS-9 although it is not on my board right now. The others were still good but I couldn't justify having dozens of dirt pedals and my frequent GAS has made it difficult to hang on to everything. One thing that I really liked about the mods over the factory versions is that they were much quieter when engaged especially the DS and the MT. Also they have way more bottom end which I like.

11. leonardrock

leonardrock Member

Another Keeley BD-2 love thread, another recommendation for the Monte Allums "Blues Stack" modded BD-2.

There really is no love for Monte on TGP and it's a crying shame.

I've played mine stock, I've owned a Keeley, I've recently acquired an Analogman that I'm presently testing against my Monte BD-2.....

To me, they don't compare. Monte's mod is the most balanced, best sounding, and cheapest tweak of the BD-2 out there.

12. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Silver Supporting Member

I currently use a Keeley Mod Plus TS9. It's wonderful.

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

My favorites are the Keeley modded BD-2 and TS-9 mods.

Robert went over the top with my BD-2 and made it a Fuzz Freak, with the addition of 2 extra ge trannies-instant Warren Haynes!

Also, my Keeley TS-9 mod collection includes the Keeley Franken Screamer: 2 switchable modes (TS-9 plus and Baked Mod) and the added boost option with volume control.

Robert Keeley named the Baked mod after my last name, but I receive, nor want, anything from any sales/mods by Robert.

14. alvarete

alvarete Member

I've owned the BD-2, TS-9 and DS-1 as modded by Keeley, as well as their stock counterparts. They are all excellent at what they do, with the BD-2 being a particular favorite. If you don't have a TS-9 type pedal, I'd recommend starting there, with the BD-2 a very close second.