Klon vs Tim vs Timmy vs OCD vs ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Walsh Guitars, May 22, 2010.

1. Walsh Guitars

Walsh Guitars Supporting Member

Hello all,

So I am currently on the hunt for the next pedal. I currently own a Klon and it sounds amazing but I am a little bothered by the mid hump...yes there is a mid hump despite what some may say. With that in mind, I thought I would bring it before you guys to see what you think. I want a dynamic and transparent overdrive that pairs well with other pedals and is quiet. I have heard great things about the Tim and Timmy by Paul Cochrane and I have own a couple OCDs at one time or another.

But what are your thoughts? Which should I get or should I just stay with my Klon? Or shoot, I could keep the Klon and get one of these too. Or is there another pedal you might recommend?

For giggles here is my current pedal setup:
    Ernie Ball Volume w/Boss TU2 from the tuner out--RMC 2 Wah--Jekeko fixed wah--MA Audio Boost 'n Buff--Klon--Morgan Amplification Shadow Fuzz--Xotic RC Booster--Electro Harmonix POG--Empress tap tempo tremelo--Electro Harmonix Holy Grail--Damage Control Timeline Delay with a MIDI out to the Rocktron MidiMate--Radial ABY switch--Morgan Amplification AC20 and 1965 Blackface Bassman into a 2 1x12 cabs (one loaded with a Celestion Gold and one loaded with an ASW Elegante) :beer

2. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I had a TIM pedal, but parted with it after I got the Honey Bee.
    The HB works great stacked with other pedals.

3. Walsh Guitars

Yea, you know I have looked into those pedals and i haven't been super amazed by them. They seem a bit thin and trebley to me. I like the idea of the TIM because I have have a light/medium drive on the right and a bit heavier on the left. It also seems to be quite transparent.

4. buddachile

buddachile Member

Sounds to me like a Timmy would be a good option 'cause it lacks the mid hump. I personally love the Klon mid hump. The Timmy really is great if you want dynamics. It's the best way of making it sound like the amp volume is turned up a bit without actually turning the amp volume up.

5. Walsh Guitars

Thanks for the headsup. That is exactly what I have been hearing about the TIM and Timmy. By the way, how are you liking that Fargen amp of yours? He has done some great mods for me in the past.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Silver Supporting Member

my Tim pedal belongs inside my Heart!
    I love it to death!

7. sick1982

sick1982 Member

I wouldn't go for an OCD(v4) because of the bass boost and lack of treble; I'm really disappointed in this pedal. I'd take a look at the Tone Freak Naked OD or the Timmy.

8. Guitarnotsoguru

Guitarnotsoguru Ultimate Plutonium Member Silver Supporting Member

The Klon (I have 2 of them and I probably won't part with them) was my first "high end" overdrive and when I got it............it knocked my socks off! Currently, they sit in a drawer all tucked away. I'm sure I will rediscover it someday. However, I do really like my Tim and Timmy too, but they are tucked away. I guess I am in Dumble mode now. I picked up a couple of Menatone Howie pedals. I really like their overdrive. I also like OCD V4 (I do have V1, V2 and V3 tucked away as well). I also picked up a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive and A Rockbox Boiling Point just came in today as well. Many options out there......

9. Walsh Guitars

How do you like the Landgraff DO and the Rockbox Boiling Point? I have heard good things. Aren't they very similar pedals? Pricey though!

10. tnt365

tnt365 Member

I keep telling people SRB808+ Original or Dual drive. After trying many ODs from low/med/high gain territories, IMO it has it all there. I'll have to make a demo or something...

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've owned three of the four pedals mentioned. For the record, I've not had the pleasure of owning a Klon. That said, I've had a Tim on my board since 2004. OCD was fine...but long gone. No need for a Timmy when Tim just does a little more. NO mid hump with the Tim.

12. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

TIM I love it

13. Guitarnotsoguru

Guitarnotsoguru Ultimate Plutonium Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I would say that the Landgraff and the Boiling point are similar. Both are awesome in their own right. The Rockbox has to be more versatile due to the extra toggle and they make big differences flipping them around. I bought the Rockbox and I received the Landgraff in a trade deal. For about $50 less, go with the Rockbox.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I had one of the first Klons. Had it for years. An excellent pedal for sure, but I ended up searching for more. Ran into several clean boosts I preferred, the Burriss Boostier and RC Boost namely, finally ended up with the TIM. TIM trumps anything else, at least for me. My lingering curiosity about other clean boosts and OD pedals remain, not because I really need one.
    MD

15. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Be sure to check out the NOC3 Pure Drive.
    It's Blend control makes it just the most-bestest OD around (for me).
    And there's a tourbox going around. So just contact Nick and try it for free!
    Sure to impress.

16. bsic

bsic Member

I had a klon, it was cool, but not magic for me. I *do* want a mid hump for a solo boost, helps you cut thru. May not sound great in your bedroom, but live in a band setting a mid boost can be beneficial!!

17. Danny F

Danny F Member

I bounce between Klon and Analogman KOT - KOT definitely lacks the mids of the klon, but the klon is magic with single coils and 10 inch speakers. I'll keep both and actually hope to get a second, less collectible Klon soon (wihtout the horsey and years on my current box) but the KOT is my old standby.

18. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I agree, the HB is thin into a clean channel.
    However, it's the perfect pedal in the dirty channel
    or stacking after another OD.

Kinda like salt by itself isn't very tasty,
    but it does make other stuff taste better.

19. buddachile

buddachile Member

The Fargen is working great for me. It records very well, takes dirt pedals very well, and the power scaling is awesome. I don't have a 4x12 but the two times I plugged my Fargen into one it sounded amazing. If money were no object I would get a 4x12 with Scumbacks, but as it is I can't justify spending the cash for a rig I'm going to be too lazy to lug around.

20. Walsh Guitars

Tonewise which do you like more? I am really digging that Rockbox. It wasn't in my wish list but it most definitely is now.

The OCD is officially out. I want to like it but it just doesn't do it for me.