Lace Sensor pickups, which has the most jangle?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rena Rune, May 29, 2011.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

May be getting a Strat-ish guitar at some stage, but don't really want the typical strat sound. I'd like something pretty jangly, like a Rickenbacker almost. I like the idea of Lace Sensors as they seem to give you a lot of different tones in a strat sized pickup.

Which is the best for a jangly kind of sound? It's hard to find good clips.

2. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

don't think you'll get the sound you want from LS. love mine but they tend to be variations on the strat sound.

3. outlawyer

outlawyer Senior Member

Love mine too, but jangly isn't the word I'd use, either. Marimba-like, chiming, shimmering...those are closer to how mine sound. I like the blue, red, and silver setup at the moment.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Jangliest is probably the Gold and it's more of a step towards a fatter strat sound than classic strat, imo.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Hmmm ... I had a Gold, to me it was very bright, not phat. had more of a metallic thing than a chimmy thing IMHO, didn't care for it. Had a few others in a Strat Plus as well, I'm not a huge fan but can understand the interest.

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

Golds are the closest to classic single coils, but not quite the same. I rather like them for what they are.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You could put it that way, too.
    Diminished highs (not dull) with a bit more of an upper mid peak.
    That's toward fatter, to me. (not bassy fat, phat, though)

8. mikeller

mikeller Member

I think the hot golds would fit that bill the best. To me they have a little more sparkle than the original golds

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

imho an important aspect of getting jangle from a strat is to set up the swithing to get you neck + bridge. I have a parts build with a LS silver at the neck and a red at the bridge. Those shouldn't jangle but together they do

10. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have & like several Lace Sensors, but I would not call any of them a good choice for "jangle". They tend more toward smooth & "flutey" to me.
    Lipsticks, now there is some jangle in a SC pickup!

11. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I've got 5 Strats - with a mixture of Gold, Silver, Red and Blue Lace Sensors...
    Trust me here, If you're looking for a CLASSIC Strat sound - the regular old "GOLD" Lace Sensors are what you want... All of the other "colors" are TOO HOT...

:)

12. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I'm a LS fan (I know it's not always cool here), but have to agree - they're not jangletastic. They're not meant to be. Having put a set of lipsticks in a Strat, neither are they either - very even and balanced, actually. Try Bare Knuckle Apaches (very Hank) and CS69s (the set I've just replaced with Mini Tri-sonics were very bright: not my thing at all, but they certainly jangled. Toothgrindly so from my perspective, but I'd be happier with Charlie Christians, so my preferences are obviously not yours!)

13. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I would say most jangle is found in the TranSensor pickups, perhaps more so the Alumitone SCs. Hit them hard and they'll respond in a very brassy way. Very much like active pickups but then very sensitive to your picking.