Line 6 M9 // Share Your Delay Settings? 2012 version...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, May 29, 2012.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I know there are some pretty deep threads on the M9 and settings, but I was hoping to see some updated settings for delays. Not that an M9 will sound like a Timeline or an El Capistan, but just wondering what y'all are using these days.

Cheers!
    M.

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I just picked up an M9 a little while ago, and haven't dove in too deep. This would be a great thread.

3. tinkercity

:munch

4. thekeefus

thekeefus Supporting Member

I had a M13 and sold it. Just got a M5 that came in today, but I haven't had a chance to dig into settings yet.

5. tinkercity

Basically looking to see what guys are using for delays to keep up with what the Stymon stuff does. Doesn't seem to be a lot of action fwiw.

6. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i'm interested in this too

7. southbeck

southbeck Member

One standard digital delay, one slapback, one digital or analog with mod and long feedback.I don't see how a delay can get much better then the m9.

8. tinkercity

Anyone have cool settings they love?

9. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Supporting Member

I don't have exact settings right now, but here are some things I do:
    I used to have a DMM and always ran the modulation in Vibrato mode. I have never really liked the way the M9's DMM model sounds, mostly because I could never dial in the modulation the way I wanted. Lately I have been much happier runing a pitch vibrato in front of the Analog Delay w/ Mod model.

The closest I have come to TimeLine's punchiness and lushness is by running a Boost Comp (w/ slight boost to the high end) into the Analog Delay w/ Mod model. The Boost Comp really makes things come alive.

For slapback, I prefer the Echo setting in the Reverb models to any of the delays except for maybe Multi-Head. I don't usually go for true slapback, though... more of a rockabilly thing... somewhere around 100ms to where you can actually hear the repeat(s).

To add some lushness to the Auto-Swell, I stick the Digital w/ Mod model after the Auto Swell. This makes it seem a lot more 3d.
    But I have to say this--I have both the M9 and a TimeLine on my board, and the above "tricks" notwithstanding, the M9 sounds like a toy compared to the TimeLine. I prefer the M9's looper and auto-swell (as well as reverb, but a more fair comparison would be against the Blue Sky), but the sonic difference between the M9 and TimeLine was shocking to me.

10. WoweeZowee

WoweeZowee Member

This. Love the Echo reverb for when I'm trying to rip off Gilmour on slide.

11. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i'm going to have to check that out, it never occurred to me

12. tinkercity

Wow. I assumed the Stymon stuff sounded better but --- that much better?

Dig the settings. Keep Em' coming!

13. JacksonCarter

JacksonCarter Member

i have several analog delays, a dd20, a timefactor, an m13, and 2 m9s... the M series delays are inferior by quite a bit to all the others, but definitely useable...

14. tinkercity

How would you say they are inferior? Legitimately curious :) It's funny, when I was writing this post, I said in my head "you're gonna wind up trying to buy strymon stuff at the end of this..."

15. dwolfggc

dwolfggc Member

I've had an m13, an m9, and now have an hd500 and a dd20. Just got a timeline.
    Granted I've only had the timeline for two days but so far I wouldn't say that it makes everything else sound like a toy. In fact I would say that the dd20 and even the line 6 stuff holds up pretty well. Obviously the feature sets are different and each unit has its own unique sound but the basic delays sound good all around. just my opinion of course.

16. tinkercity

Thanks for the realistic post. Ya, I've thought the same thing. Wouldn't mind moving over to a Timeline, but I also use reverb and tremolo in my M9.

17. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Supporting Member

Maybe "like a toy" was a little harsh and a bit hyperbolic. But the TimeLine sounds very noticeably better to me. That's not to say that there aren't some good sounds in the M9. As I said, the M9 is on my board and isn't leaving any time soon. Strictly in terms of the delay sounds, both units are useable, no question. But to me, the TimeLine sounds like a more expensive unit.

Some people have an "oh wow!" moment when they upgrade to nice cables or adding a buffer or taking a tone-sucking pedal out of the signal chain or whatever. For me, my "oh wow" moment came when I started to use the TimeLine compared to my experience with the M9, and before that, a DL-4. I did not expect to be that blown away, but I was.

I've said this before, but I think one of the biggest problems with the M-series is the default presets. Very few of them were "ready to use" for my personal tastes. (There are probably some exceptions, but generally speaking, this has been my experience.) I think Strymon put their best foot forward by making all the TimeLine presets really useable and great-sounding. I know that is really subjective, because not everyone is after the really soupy/atmospheric delay sounds, but I totally am. So for me, that's part of why the TimeLine seems SO much better than the M9.

So while the M9 is not a bad unit, I stand by my assertion that the TimeLine is better. :stir :D

18. tinkercity

Man... Reading up on the Timeline and it's a dark hole lol. Afraid to fall in! As it stands, switching to a Timeline from an M9 would require a separate reverb pedal (wet) and a tremolo. Yikes! Not so sure it sounds thaaaat good ;)

Back to topic --- anyone have specific delay settings they LOVE? I'll post mine when I get near the board.

19. tinkercity

:munch

20. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I've never done this but I'm going to tonight!

I use very basic delay. Most time I use the tape echo with dry through (so it's not so pronounced since I don't have effect loop.) I set one at 100ms for slapback and another at 600ms (with the mixed turned up a bit) to get a good solo for guitar solos.

Lot of times for texture I use the standard U2/The Edge setting. Digital delay set to 8th note triplets and use tap tempo to synch with bpm of song that we're playing.