Looking For A High Gain Overdrive Pedal - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by binge, Mar 4, 2012.

1. binge

binge Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a high gain overdrive pedal. I've toyed around with distortions but, for the most part, I find them too harsh.

The overdrives I have are the Wampler Plexidrive, Wampler Ecstasy, Wampler Paisley Drive, Boss OD-3 and Boss SD-1. I do not consider any of these to be high gain.

When I stack the Boss SD-1 into the OD-3 I can get a good high gain sound, but I'd like a pedal that can do it on it's own.

I do not want a pedal that sounds like heavy metal eg Pantera, Rammstein etc.

I do not want a pedal whereby I'd have to wait for it to be built and I'm after something that is available in the UK / Europe.

The sounds I like are Chris Poland, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, Joe Stump, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach.

I play through a Cornell Romany and it's very low volume and is very clean. I do not play gigs or play live.

My guitar is a Fender Jeff Beck Signature Strat with dual ceramic single coils.

Thanks!

2. dshobe

dshobe Gold Supporting Member

How about the Elements by Dr. Scientist?

3. binge

binge Member

Checking it out now....it sounds fuzzyish to me. I'm looking a the ProGuitarShop demo.

4. dshobe

dshobe Gold Supporting Member

While your at it, check out the Holy Fire by Creation Audio Labs.

5. Class5

Class5 Member

Lovepedal Superlead or the VFE The Scream?

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

I am personally very impressed with the Carl Martin DC Drive. Plenty of gain on tap.

I also use the TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion a lot. Do not let the name fool you, it is a not a death metal distortion by any means.

Other ideas are the CM Plexitone and the Rockbox Boling Point has a lot of gain on tap.

7. binge

binge Member

I read that it needs it's own power supply.... Out of the question I'm afraid.

I had a Lovepedal Redhead and I hated it, I think it's the same as the Superlead, right? I also had the Purple Plexi and didn't like it at all. I'm not really a Lovepedal fan.

The Scream sounds good - it's like a turbo charged Tubescreamer, right?

8. MiguelO

MiguelO Member

My two "go to" high gain OD's are the Rockbox Boiling Point and Tonemonk Seed of Life.

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Silver Supporting Member

If you're not playing live, go to guitar center and get the black MXR distortion for $40. You'll get no respect from the snobs here but it's got plenty hi gain break-up for the bedroom and it's CHEAP. I bough some as presents when they came out on sale for $30. Two out of six are still on pedalboards I use my red one at home thru my 11R. The black one is still on my board. It was cool to see guys I played with open a pedal present.

If you just want to drop a couple of hundred that's cool. The new Dirty Little Secret will go from mild to wild.

10. binge

binge Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm heading to bed now but will look back on this thread in the morning :)

11. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

For me, the Subdecay Super Nova Drive does what you're talking about. It can get pretty gain-y and it has a very useful 3 band eq. Here is a pretty good demo by Bobby Devito.

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

from my experience 50+ overdrives later haha

1. HBE Power Screamer
    2. Menatone King Of The Britains
    3. Frantone Brooklyn

they have been the only real stand outs for a high gain overdrive i've allowed to be on my board for long periods of time.

13. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Skreddy Screwdriver

14. binge

binge Member

Wow, youve played a lot of pedals!

Just before I go, is there such a thing as a high gain, turbo charged Tubescreamer?

15. Class5

Class5 Member

I'd say the VFE's The Scream is in that ballpark.

16. King Rat

King Rat Member

The middle position of the HBE is pretty turbo, more gain, more bottom end, tad more compression etc..

The TS9Dx is the turbo tubescreamer, and keeley has a modded version.

although i read recently at namm that ibanez or maxon just brought out a new one which is a bit of a cross with an SD9 which might be interesting...

17. tnt365

tnt365 Member

Skreddy Top Fuel

18. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

Suhr Riot

Carl Martin Plexitone (If your amp is set on the Darker side this pedal is hard to beat)

19. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Wampler Plextortion

20. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Silver Supporting Member

We have similar tastes.

I really like the XActone Atomic OD followed by the Tone Freak Abunai 2 to get these tones.

Matt