Malekko E616 Reviews or Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Unadan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

Please post your reviews here with or without sound clips. I had one in hand a few days ago but didn't have a chance to play it to get an idea of its quality.

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

there's good clips on the malekko site in the meantime

3. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Member

Hi,
    Mine showed up Saturday and I just love it. I don't have any other delays to A/B it with, but have owned a few nice one's in the past and it is definitely a keeper for me. I absolutely love the brighter buffered delay tone option and have put is through the paces with a Telecaster and my new Collings 290 into a Quidley 1x12 combo amp. I tried it in front of the amp as well as in the effects loop and it sounded great in both places. The 650ms is plenty of delay for me and I am totally happy with it. Well worth the wait in my opinion. I will test the modulation before I comment on that as I haven't played with anything but the delay time, mix and repeats so far. In addition, I was also testing to make sure my tone was in tact with the pedal on and off with the buffered/brighter sound and all the tone is there.

Fantastic pedal so far and I'll test more features and update soon.

Thanks,
    John

4. Unadan

Unadan Member

^Thanks - nice review.

I'd really like to hear how it sounds vs. the Malekko E600 Bright and/or Dark models.

5. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I would rather have a Spring Chicken Reverb, not into Delay pedals

6. succor

succor Supporting Member

Coloration has been my major gripe with my DMM for the past year. I've put it everywhere on my effects chain and it's just not something I can leave in all the time, but I can't let go of the the great aspects of the DMM. I guess I have to accept it as a love/hate thing.

I received my 616 on Saturday and have spent a few hours with it since then. Like the poster above, I'm very impressed with the ability to maintain my original tone. The 616 sounds great anywhere in the chain, on or off. The repeats are sparkly and crisp, even with the mix knob pretty far down. Oscillation begins surprisingly early on the Regen knob, usually before 12:00 on mine. I think I would have preferred more leeway, but I suppose it may be helpful to have that much easy 'noise' on tap when you want it.

The modulation is fun, with the most musical settings close to minimum depth for a chorusing that's still crisp, and not to squishy. I'll need to practice with it more to appreciate it in full. Turning down the delay time all the way is a cool trick with the modulation on.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my DMM, but the 616 isn't going anywhere, either. At $150, it was an easy choice.

7. jetofuj

jetofuj Member

It would be awsome if you compare 616 to Malekko's Echo 600 Bright/Dark, Memory Lane, Memory Man and Maxon AD-900. I hope I get my 616 soon.

8. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Mine just landed but I won't have time to play with it until this afternoon.

It's smaller than I thought it would be, which is a good thing for those that need pedalboard space like me.

[​IMG]

9. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Supporting Member

I got mine on Sat. Was out of town until Sunday night. Got it and tried it and mine has issues. Switch crackles when engaged and then the signal in true bypass degraded and sounded muddy, buffered was slightly better.

Called Pro Guitar Shop and they are sending me a label for return. I am taking a refund as I don't want to wait anymore and I do really like my Malekko Echo 300D. So I will keep using it for now. Kind of a drag but I think just got the unlucky one is all. I don't need it bad enough to keep waiting and whatnot.

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Silver Supporting Member

Got mine and just tried it. The buffered signal sounds fine but in unbuffered mode, the fundamental note is super dark just like the repeats. I don't think it should be like that but I may be wrong. Better call PGS on it. Other than that everything else seems A-OK and sounds great.

11. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

EDIT::: Deleted comments because I'm an idiot.

Also, the modulation gets kind of crazy above 0. I'm assuming that it works in conjunction with the delay settings but I'm not finding it very useful.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  12. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

uh-oh. QC issues?

13. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Supporting Member

That is what it is sounding like. I just assumed mine was a one off. I am sending mine back. Just don't want to wait anymore.

14. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Ignore my post above please! User error!

Anyone having any success with the modulation speed above Zero? I can't get it to sound anywhere close to the proguitarshop demo.

I'm new to modulation on a delay but it just doesn't sound right. Help!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  15. 12guitdown

12guitdown Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting just a little distortion here and there, only when engaging it though and not every time.

I changed power supplies and the TB mode still yields darker notes. Anyone else experiencing this?

16. Malekko

Malekko Member

In some setups true bypass pedals can roll off your highs...that's why we put a buffer in there.

The modulation speed should be straight forward..at 0 is it's slowest speed, and 10 fastest..it works in conjunction with the depth pot.

17. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Sorry about the distortion post above. I can delete it if you want. It really was my mistake!

The modulation just seems a little extreme above Zero with the depth knob above 9 o'clock. Sort of oscillating kind of sounds and not very chorus-like. Again, I'm a noob when it comes to modulation in delay so any tips would be great!

I actually think it sounds brighter than my DM-2 which is great!

18. Malekko

Malekko Member

Try this, keep the speed at zero and just bring the depth up around 8 or 9:00
    just where it starts to "kick in" the main TIME will also play a role in how the depth sounds...it's a small window (depending on the TIME) but you can do chorusing easily. for a vibe just bring the speed all the way up and the depth up slightly for the chorusing setting
    It is much brighter than the DM-2 with brightness means grittier repeats, especially if you're hitting notes hard. You;ll notice in our clips and in the PGS video we use that to accent a note...IMO it's sounds really cool
    Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

19. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

20. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Ok, now I'm getting it. I had the modulation at extreme settings and didn't get that it works in relation with the Time knob.

I'm starting to gel with it now. As I said in my previous post, I like that it's brighter than the DM-2.