Memory Toy or Carbon Copy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Will Hesch, May 29, 2010.

1. Will Hesch

Will Hesch Member

The title says it all, I'm looking for educated opinions regarding the Electro Harmonix Memory Toy vs. the MXR Carbon Copy, anyone? Thanks, Will

2. FireBottle

FireBottle Silver Supporting Member

3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I picked the Memory Boy out of the two. The Toy is an outstanding value, but for a few bucks more, the wannbe studio producer said that some of the module/wave controls could come in handy. I've played both the Carbon Copy and the Memory Toy/Boy and I settled with the EHX. Just sounded better to my ears, but the Carbon Copy is still a great pedal. You can't go wrong either way. But if I were you, I'd just go for the EHX stuff and save a few bucks.

4. Prymaxe Vintage

Prymaxe Vintage Member

As a person who sells both and is not supposed to have an opinion.. Mxr carbon copy hands down. EH Mem toys have way to many problems. :JAM

5. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Member

Carbon Copy. I tested both out when I went to get a new delay pedal. I was not impressed by the toy and glad I went with the CC.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The Carbon Copy sounds great, but it's not very reliable. The answer is Malekko 616.

7. frozze

frozze Member

^ +1
    agree with jb1911!

8. elicious

elicious Supporting Member

I hated the 616, but really like my Memory Boy!

9. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Member

**** the Malekko, get the MXR.

10. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Supporting Member

How can you hate the 616? It won out over a Skrecho and DMM for me. Must have a bizarro 616 with a beard.

11. elicious

elicious Supporting Member

well I've had both of those pedals, too, and the 616 couldn't touch either for my tastes...the oscillation was runaway far too quickly and the modulation sounded unnaturally thin, no need for me to elaborate further is there? ;)

12. 3leggeddog

3leggeddog Member

In my experience, the Ibanez AD9 is a pretty damn reliable pedal. Doesn't receive much praise on here, but I would give it a shot if I were you. I preferred it over the MT and the CC. Though one can't go wrong with the 616 either...

13. christopherJR

christopherJR Member

Carbon Copy

14. monty

monty Member

I really love MXR stuff, but I sent my CC back for the upgraded mod after having and loving it for a year and needed something to tide me over until I got it back so I picked up a MT.
    I was really surprised at just how good the MT is, and can say it is staying on my main board.
    Having said that, you really need to demo them both, I think they are both sweet but have a dif. sound to them and you need to figure out which one suits your ears better.

15. HeavyG

HeavyG Member

I owned both as well. Carbon Copy all the way. I got rid of the toy.

16. SBLP

SBLP Member

I don't get this? Where is this reliability issue coming from? It seems to have risen out of the blue. Is it because a few people on message boards got some lemons in the last 2 weeks, suddenly the entire model line is unreliable? Or has it been an issue for a while that I'm just unaware of? (honest question). Because I've read a ton of reviews before purchasing mine a year ago, and nowhere did I see anything about it breaking easily. :dunno:

Mine works great. No issues whatsoever, and it sounds phenomenal.

CC kills Memory Toy, IMO, and while the "Boy" has more features, the delay still doesn't sound as warm and gooey. Is the EHX Bucket Brigade, does anyone know?

Something about the CC just speaks to me, and while the 616 is sweet with more accessible features, again, I just like the way the CC decays, plus its warmth.

Of the 150$ and under analog delays, I'd say it goes something like this:

CC
    Boy
    AD-9
    Aqua Puss
    Toy

Personal preference, of course.

17. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's an ongoing issue that you are unaware of. I had two of them die on me. MXR fixed them, but I'd rather have a delay that I don't have to send in after owning it for one day. I'm not the only one.

18. JCA 25/50

JCA 25/50 Member

Carbon Copy no reliability issues here just fat, analog goodness and long trails :)

19. Fuhgawz

Fuhgawz Member

Tried both at the store, bought the Memory Toy. It's only half the price and doesn't sound as dark as the CC.

20. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

CC.