1. We're aware of the search issues and are rebuilding the indexes. This will probably take a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 with buzzing problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by psklaroff, Nov 1, 2009.

1. psklaroff

psklaroff Member

Hi All,

I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2 x 12 combo which is still quite new and it recently has developed a rather annoying buzzing sound which I can't seem to get rid of. Initially I thought it might be my effects or a bad cable but after taking everything out of the effects chain and just plugging in the amp through a good cable I've found that the problem seems to be the amp.

The problem is a very noticeable buzzing (which happens with all of my guitars) when the guitar is turned up and it disappears when I touch something metallic on the guitar or when I turn the volume off on the guitar. I don't know much about the electronics of tube amps, but could this be a valve (tube) issue of some sort?..the valves I use are fairly new and from Doug's Tubes, so I am assuming that they are OK....

Any advice would be gratefully received....

Thanks

Pete

2. les_paul

les_paul Member

The problem is more than likely with your power outlet. It sounds like the outlet is not grounded properly. I have never had the fortune of living in a house with properly grounded power, so I have the same problem with all of my amps.

3. psklaroff

psklaroff Member

Thanks LP, that's really helpful.

Is there a way around this at all?...as I didn't notice this when I first got my amp.

Thanks

Pete

4. les_paul

les_paul Member

You know, to be honest it just kind of pissed me off at first but I just learned to live with it. I haven't actively sought out a solution. The only one I can think of right off hand is calling up Mr. Electrician and seeing what he has to say. There may be some sort of pedal/rack piece that might do the trick.

5. jett1963

jett1963 Member

Is it buzzing or a little like a stack of plates rattling as a truck rumbles by. I has a similar problem and so have others. I actually returned my first 5:25 because of it. Interestingly, my second began to do the same thing particularly after topping out on the headroom (very bassy stuff).

I found that if you take the tubes out and re-seat them the rattling stops. I probably have to re-seat about once per month.

definitely not a buzzing sound though.

6. psklaroff

psklaroff Member

This is very much a buzz...and sounds like some sort of earth (ground) issue to my (uneducated) ears...definitely not a rattle type sound though.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    It's hard to tell sometimes. I'd check the tubes (and the clamps that hold them) first to make sure they're seated firmly. If not it.....

Use your mesa warranty - that's what it's for.
    There's been very few issues reported with the Express series on the Boogie Board. They've been exceptionally reliable amps since released

8. psklaroff

psklaroff Member

Thanks everybody...the valves seem fine and it looks as though the issue may be a ground (earth) problem although I'm not sure if much can be done about this.

Any suggestions gratefully received though!

Thanks

Pete