Modding an EHX Freeze

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dangayle, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dangayle

dangayle Member

The Freeze is the coolest pedal to come around in a long time, but I hate the footswitch. I switch it a lot, and it's a hard click footswitch (Not audible in the audio signal, it's just a loud physical click that gets annoying). Also, depending on how you use it, you're liable to hit the switch for every chord change, meaning that the switch on this pedal had better be robust over the long term.

How difficult would it be to replace the switch with a soft-touch footswitch? And has anyone thought of modding this pedal in other ways?

2. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

I imagine just opening, snipping, soldering, closing and that should be it. Make sure you put everything back where you found it on the switch.

3. dangayle

dangayle Member

Because I'm still new to modding pedals, a soft-touch is functionally the same as a standard switch, right?

4. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

Yeah, just doesn't latch. Momentary is what you'd look for on pedal parts plus and such.

5. muffinMan74

muffinMan74 Member

6. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

7. dangayle

dangayle Member

Is the Freeze true-bypass? Also, I don't really think there is that much room in the pedal for another pcb. I could be wrong though.

8. kp8

kp8 Member

It's buffered. It sort of has to be if you think about what it does.

The switch is a bit klitty klack. I did a solo gallery gig with it recently and the sound of the pedal engaging and disengaging got kind of irritating. Having the click announce your sound is kinda sad. In a bar setting it likely wouldn't matter or be heard but in this context it was a bummer. I covered it with a towel but that didn't help much and also meant I couldn't adjust the level with my toe easily. On the plus side I didn't have to look at the ugly graphics (when did EHX pedals get hit with the ugly stick?)

I still love the pedal and it was nice to gig with a small board and not have to bring my laptop with my homebrewed software freeze.

-kp--

9. dangayle

dangayle Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a noisy little footswitch. I'm amazed that no one at EHX noticed it. Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by it :)

10. Gilks

Gilks Member

Yeah it is pretty annoying. The switches on the TC electronics pedals, like the Nova Repeater, are those what soft-touch switches are? Those would be perfect for the Freeze. I have one too and I would kill for a quite switch, it's hard to hear in certain situations what noise is coming from where, and a loud footswitch is one thing I DON'T need.

11. kp8

kp8 Member

click Harmony click | click Harmony click | click GUESS WHAT IS COMING NEXT?!

haha... Though thankfully they did a pretty nice job with the fade in and out on the audio so that you don't get any splats through your rig, but odd that the careful enveloping didn't carry over into a concern for sound of the switch.

It's the tyranny of loud music. Companies don't worry about such things since they are only catering to the needs of clubs, rock stars and their stand ins.

The switches on my loopmaster ABC box are amazingly loud as well. I put a towel under that cause I need to see the LEDs... Great box, rugged as could be but I telegraph every instrument change I am about to make with a huge SNAP. But if anyone rushes the stage I think the Loopmaster is what I would hit them with. haha.

12. dangayle

dangayle Member

The TC switches would be great.

I was re-arranging my board yesterday, and I realized the freeze might work well in a Wah enclosure. A pot and a footswitch, with a small mode switch on the side? You could set your note, then swell it in. Keep the switch to the side, like Weeping Demon or a Morley Wah, and it would work perfectly.

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk Silver Supporting Member

14. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Somewhere I read about someone who had drilled a hole in the side of his Freeze and added a jack so he could just use a normal electronic keyboard sustain pedal....

15. Last

Last Supporting Member

The switch looks a little more complicated than just an easy swap to momentary switching.

[​IMG]

I've noticed that mine at least isn't as noisy off my board as on it, though that doesn't help much.

I do agree they could have done a better job especially with how much use that switch is taking.

16. dangayle

dangayle Member

That switch has the potential to be used more often than any other switches on your board combined! It had better be built like a tank. I haven't cracked mine open yet, but perhaps longevity was more important to EHX than quiet switching?

17. Biggelzworth

Biggelzworth Member

Has anyone tried the switch mod yet? I love this pedal but can't stand the click.

18. kp8

kp8 Member

This company is also offering a switch mod and an effects loop. So tempted.

http://axiomdrift.com/freezeloop.htm

I just finished scraping the graphics off and repainting mine. Looks sheety but is still an upgrade as I am so tired of ehx's "zanny" graphics.

But the loud switch is killing me. I tried covering mine with a towel but then I cant see the LED.

19. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Silver Supporting Member

This1smyne modded mine with a non-latching switch.
    It was waaaay better.

20. dangayle

dangayle Member

Nice. Seems a bit much for the bypass loop, but still cool.