Moving to Hawaii -- HELP!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner: Guitar & Bass Technical Discussi' started by Michael_V, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Gold Supporting Member

Great! Thank you!

2. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

3. Michael_V

4. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I recently went to Puerto Rico and saw a couple really cool local bands there. ALL they're gear was tattered and corroded a bit, but it seemed totally OK with those guys and it added to the feel of it all.

5. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Very sound advice. Keep your good stuff sealed up for special occasions and invest in some decent but cheap daily user stuff.

6. Soul Man

Soul Man Born Under a Bad Sign Silver Supporting Member

One question (and a serious one) - an oceanfront home with NO air conditioner?

I would think if the place is cache enough to be oceanfront the home builder wouldn't have skimped out on installing AC?

Just wondering about that......

7. Michael_V

A fair question. The house is built to capture the trade winds. Lots of windows up high. Average temp there is 78. Most houses there ($1M+) don't have AC because it isn't used. So, yes, cry me a river, right? ;).

8. guitarpedaladdict

Believe it or not, AC is a rarity (outside of window units) in Hawaii. In order to design a home to really take in the trades you can't really build an energy efficient space at the same time. People with the option to do so, will sometimes have a section of their house that is designed for central air. All that said, if you live ocean front and have an open style house, you might find 10 days a year where you would be hot enough to even need AC. Now... if you live back a few blocks from the beach... good lord!!!! One thing that works REALLY well is the reflective roof coating, cooled my house by an average of 10 degrees.

Wait... isn't this the Gear Page... not home depot page... lol... Michael V, enjoy your new home and if you have a really cool studio set up for playing you better invite me over!

9. Michael_V

Guitarpedaladdict, I doubt I'll have a studio in that house with no AC! I already got an 11R so I'll be able to run my board through the Matchless model for silent practice and not disturb the neighbors. I would like to get involved with the local scene, though, and would love to get together somewhere to play with you and maybe enjoy a cold beer!

10. Soul Man

Soul Man Born Under a Bad Sign Silver Supporting Member

O.k., Hawaii beach guys, that's enough. Take this somewhere else. I'm surrounded by corn and you're making me mad.

:sarcasm

11. joelster

joelster Member

I was gonna start a thread asking about guitars in tropical climes but I'll just chime in here instead.

I am currently vacationing at my folks' house on St. Thomas in the USVI (last day... boo-hoo). When I last came here, the December before last, I left my old Sigma behind so there would be a guitar in the house for myself or anyone else who was visiting. When I got here about two weeks ago the thing was in a pretty bad state. The strings were totally rusty and the fret board was pretty gunky around the frets but it was also very dried out with a chalky look to most of it. Where there are dings in the body the surrounding would has begun to darken. I gave her a good wipe down and oiled the fretboard. Baby oil was all I found. I know, but she's a beater. Later I wiped her down with a little furniture polish. Again, all I can find...

At some point in the past I had my mom find some desiccant capsules and throw them in the case. I'm sure that slowed the deterioration somewhat. I've tried in vain to find more while I'm here. I was originally going to ask how other folks deal with these issues but I think it's already been covered here in previous posts. I now know that I have condemned this guitar to its own slow demise. Like I said, it's a beater. I think the best advise given above was to buy cheap gear. I think if I were to ever move back down here (bloody fat chance of that) I would prolly sell off most of my good gear and buy a Mexican Fender and a re-issue amp or some such thing.

BTW, this house has no A/C either. But I think A/C's overrated anyway. Why go somewhere warm just to sit in air conditioning?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. guitarpedaladdict

:spit

Cheers, hard to have a whine fest from here... click on the youtube link I posted a few back, you will love it...

13. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Buy a floor standing dehumidifier for whatever room you store your gear in - forget using the built in water receptacle, find a way to attach a hose for continuous drainage - otherwise you will be emptying it daily. Then keep that room/area closed up as much as possible.

The other thing you need to try to minimize is condensation. This will happen any time the object cools down (ie. at night) then gets exposed to warm, moist air before it has a chance to warm up - eg. when you take a guitar/amp out of it's closed storage case in the warm afternoon.

With gun safes the solution to this problem is a 'dehumidifying rod' which actually does nothing to remove water from the air, but instead is a small heating rod - one that keep the entire contents inside the safe a few degrees warmer that the outside - driving moisture away instead of attracting it.

14. Saltocaster

Saltocaster Member

What about coating all metal parts in some water proof oil or "anti salt stuff."?
    I hear wd 40 is not so great. ( there's a second kind of wd40 for anti corrosion but I dunno) Gun oil? Coconut oil? Maybe a spray of fresh water and wipe or blow dry after a session? I already use gun oil for string contact points ... Does fine, I think.
    I just moved to the big island, won't bring my SRV strat till I come to terms with this problem (I like my hardware and pickups) and I'm 20 feet above sea level and 100 yards from the water on the dry side of the island. 65% humidity seems usual, temperature stable.
    Appreciate your helpful hints.

15. guitarpedaladdict

I've been living in Hawaii for 14 years now and unless you have a room with ac, honestly, you are just going to have to wipe your stuff down and put it away after playing AND live with the corrosion that comes with island living. I will say a window ac unit goes a long way in minimizing the effects of the weather.

I think I mentioned a few posts back - towels over your amp and pedal board are another affordable option to slow the effects of salt air.