My 2013 NAMM Photos/Reviews/Reports

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thesooze, Jan 25, 2013.

1. thesooze

thesooze Supporting Member

Hello all. Day 1 at NAMM 2013 has been a success, and wanted to report my findings and thoughts here. Looks like I'll have to chop it up into separate posts to get all the photos in. Let us begin. :drink

(A link to DAY 2 of NAMM 2013 can be found here -- scroll down a bit)

First, I headed over to Mojo Hand Effects. Tried out basically their whole line, and my favorite box was the Iron Bell. Sort of a fuzzy distortion, Brad explained it as a Gilmourish fuzz that is meant to stack well with overdrives. I was also really impressed with the Rook Royale -- the normal Rook side being an awesome drive with a few clipping options, but then you add in the EP-type boost with a treble control. The Xotic EP was always too woofy for me, so this is a nice "fix."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went by Caroline and tried out the new Kilobyte Delay. This thing is RAD, man. Love Caroline for their Wave Cannon, but this is another reason to pay attention to what Phillipe and the gang are up to. Really cool control over the gain of the repeats-- you are able to get some great saturation and grit. This is what I wanted the Supa Puss to do but didn't. And there is also the switch to have runaway repeats, which is great for on-the-fly spurts of craziness. I had a ton of fun playing with this one. Also pictured is their Cannonball-- a Wave Cannon with momentary chaos switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was the Wampler booth. I got to chat with them a bit about their new pedal, the Dual Fusion. It's a great idea for a pedal- mixing the Paisley and the Euphoria together. They mentioned that it still needs some tweaks in the EQ sections, but it's getting close. The proto also does not have a way to quickly change the order of the effects-- you just have to move the ins/outs around. But perhaps this will change on the production model. It sounded great, and even though you lose a few controls (bass on Euphoria, counter on Paisley), it was super super versatile, and of course the stack was great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I headed over to Rockett. I was chatting with them about their new Mark Sampson line, when up walks Mark Sampson! That was cool to shake his hand and meet him briefly. They started chatting about their new pedals, and got to hear each of them. They all sounded great, but the two that really stood out were the High Top and the unmarked Klon-esque pedal. The High Top really took your amp into Matchless/AC territory and had a great EQ and glassiness to it. Truly a DC30 sound in a box. The Klon-esque pedal (not sure I heard a name) is two sides: one has simple volume/tone, and the other has more control-- one switch toggles the two sides, the other switch is bypass. Really cool sounding, and is more appealing to me than the Klon for the added gain stage and more EQ control. Don't know when this will be out but I hope I can afford it! The other Sampson pedals should be out in March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Jaredstepp

Jaredstepp Member

Thanks, great report - very informative, good pics - keep it up!

3. MadFrank

MadFrank Gold Supporting Member

Great pics, Sooze! I am green with envy. Any hint as to what the Mojo 'Villanova' pedal is?

4. thesooze

Thanks MadFrank! Here's some info on the Villanova-- it sounded nice, but I'm not much of a modulation guy... :aok

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/mojohand/villanova

5. thesooze

My next stop was Cusack Effects. Really fun trying out their line since I had not had much experience with it. The drive section was cool- and the way they tweaked the Screamer Fuzz to have a little OD and a little Fuzz is very cool. Their switching system was really great, including a tap tempo, presets, and soft switches. Seemed like a great option if you're looking for a looper with options. And their delay: wow! I had never heard one, but the tone of the repeats was fantastic. And it's got tap subdivisions plus tons of other options. Sounded killer. They also get the award for most colorful booth. A.J. mentioned it was like working in a kid's playground!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went over and checked out VFE next. Peter was there and walked through his whole line. All very cool sounding, and the new addition of simpler pedals (Junior Series) was a cool add. Check out the cool artwork:

[​IMG]

Then I was off to Earthquaker Devices. Love these guys! Their Talons and Dispatch Master were two of my favorite pedals I got in 2012. This year they were showing off the new compressor, the Warden -- and also their new reverb/delay monster, the Disaster Transport Sr. The Warden was cool, I didn't play it-- just heard it. Sounded like a good comp should, but I didn't personally get the feel of it. The DTSR is two sides: one has modulation, one has reverb. You can use them separately or together, and the combination is hypnotizing. Amazing ambiance and tons of options abound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearby, I saw Fargen's booth and had to grab a pic of his cool new John Lennon amp. Looked rad!

[​IMG]

Next on the list was Fano and Tone King. I saw the guitar of the show for me there-- this sweet looking Fano offset with a cream body and like a charcoal/pewter guard. Wow-- looked stunning in person. Tone King had his new Sky King and Falcon amps, and of course they sounded great. Even at low volume, just a great nice crunchy tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped by Bad Cat next and got to try some of their newer amps. I really liked the Stella they had out, could do cleans and crunchy really well and had a defeatable master volume that was nice. Also there was Taylor McGrath guitars, which looked/played/sounded superb. Apparently, the one I was playing was about to shipped off to Keith Urban… so… that ain't bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reverend Guitars had a few things I liked, one was this hollow-body they had out. Cool looking. And their whole line has so many options, and they had a lot there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. thesooze

Have a few more coming :knitting

7. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Silver Supporting Member

Did I just see a Wampler "Christmas" pedal? Whats that?

8. 2guests

2guests Member

The MH Villanova is a very tweakable vibe pedal.

Nice pics and info! Thanks.

9. MadFrank

10. MadFrank

It was a one-off custom paint delay. They made a couple and auctioned them off.

11. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to see the pedals in the George L's booth.

Too busy to be a NAMM whore this year. :(

12. thesooze

Which pedals are there Mike? I can stop by George L on Saturday and check them out.

13. thesooze

I went by Mono Case as well. I just got their double gig bag and really love the quality of it. The prices are a TAD high, but you really are getting the best IMO. I drooled over their Pedaltrain bags, iPad cases, and single guitar bags. Sigh. They're all awesome.

[​IMG]

After that was Rock N Roll Relics. These are guitars a crazy cool, if you're into the relic thing (which I happen to be into). The played pretty good, but honestly the looks were more of the selling point. Nice options you can't get (cheaply) from Gibson or Fender. I recently bought an SG, so I was particularly taken with the SG stylings they had. Check em:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I headed over to Diamond Effects. Love Diamond- have had numerous pedals from them, and they're all top notch. New this year was the Slider and the Nine-Zero-Two overdrive/boost. The 902 was not really my thing… it was a bit on the muddy/dark side-- which I would actually describe their Cornerstone and J-Drive the same way. Smooth, dark, creamy-- but I like a little more glass and cut to my drives. When I arrived, it wasn't ready yet, and they were still doing tweaks on it with the computer. Toward the end of my visit, they had it plugged in and were tweaking settings. From what I could tell-- you can do an octave up or down, as well as some other intervals (M7, M6, so on). There was also a delay mode (like the Quantam Leap) and that could get pitch shifting repeats as well. There were some sounds they were getting that reminded me of the fluttery pitch shifting the QL can get, but definitely some unique stuff going on. Sometimes it was POG-esque, but not as immediate... more like a quick, quick delay with an octave up effect and only one repeat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right next door to Diamond was M.I. Audio, all the way from Australia! Very, very nice guys and very eager to chat as long as I wanted. I got to check out the Lo-Fi Delay (which I forgot to get a pic of!) which was really really cool. Similar to what Caroline is doing with the Kilobyte, but a different set of options/controls. Love the look and form factor of this pedal, and it definitely excels at the "out there" sounds. They also had a new Super Crunch Box with some great compression settings built-in, as well as their new Crossover, which blurs the lines of boost/OD/fuzz. Very responsive to your playing and extremely versatile.

[​IMG]

ZVEX was next on the list, but was kind of a mad-house. They had their typically crazy style going in the Western theme this year. Lots of media was around when I stopped by, so I might want to head there Saturday if I get a chance. Some shots of the booth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved on over to Mad Professor, but they weren't really demoing the pedals persé… just kind of had them out and were chatting about them. Was interested to hear the Bluebird Overdrive and see how the delay was mixed in…. but didn't get a chance to actually hear it in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Did you visit the Crazy Tube Circuits booth? They are made in Greece,
    and I'm from Greece, so I'm kinda curious what you think.

15. iggs

iggs Member

What's the Diamond Nine Zero Two? OD, Dist, fuzz of some kind I presume?

16. thesooze

The Dunlop booth was buzzing over their new Mini Fuzz Face pedals. I got to plug in myself and give them a try. They had the old ones in line with the new ones, and I got to try them all out. Granted I was on a set of headphones… so I can't say much. BUT, the new ones sounded great-- I will say a little different than the old ones. I noticed the old ones were powered off batteries, but the new ones had a power supply… is this really a fair comparison? Anyways, I also wanted to check out the Echo-Puss, since I was so disappointed with the Supa-Puss that I bought last year. I was surprised by the Echo-Puss! It sounded really different, and more to my liking than the Supa-Puss. The modulation did not seem as crazy, and the tone of the repeats was a little "fuller" and not as filtered out. Wish it had tap tempo, but was also glad they had a version without the bling graphics on it. Cool stuff at Dunlop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't really go by to play the Orange Amps or Marshall Amps, but I mean, you have to stop and take a pic of these amp walls…!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same with the Rickenbacker guitars… they were all zip-tied down!! Couldn't play, but I could still gawk. Also went by G&L, but just to see what they had out. I'm also not a huge fan of Duesenberg Guitars, but this one really caught my eye. What a looker!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made my way over to the Empress booth, even though they didn't have anything terribly new I wanted to check out. They've just got great sounding stuff that's really thought out well and fun to tweak. The pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went by Matchless as well, since I love my 30/15 with all my heart :) They had the normal stuff out this year, and I got to jam on a Nighthawk for a while, which I've never been able to test out. It was okay, a little too rough around the edges for my style. I'll stick with what I've got :eek:ak

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Matchless, I cruised over to Electroharmonix. I love EHX stuff-- use my POG2 a lot, and also have loved their Memory Man stuff (old and new). This year I was really wowed by the 8-Step Program, which can be plugged into any pedal with an expression jack and be programed to a sequence of steps going through the expression. So if the HOG2 is set to octave up, the 8SP will send a series of pulses at whatever interval you have on the unit and make a rhythm out of that. VERY innovative, and helps add value to the pedals you already own with expression ins. Great idea, and only $130 or so! The HOG2 also sounded great and has endless options and things to play with. The demo-guy was riffing on the 45000 looper, and that sounded fun too. Really like their stuff, nice little demo room too to give me a break from endless NAMM pounding. Loved it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. thesooze

I did not check them out, but they are on my list for Saturday!

They called it a boost, but it definitely gets driven with the gain up. Sounded like a lower gain Cornerstone with a slightly different take on the gain sound.

18. Bushy

Bushy Member

Good stuff thanks for the pics that Mad Professor board would look nice in my house...

19. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

I'm so jealous, never been to NAMM, maybe next year ...

20. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

sick photos, thanks for posting!