My Edwards LP130LTS/RE

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Demioblue, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Just brought my Edwards home. This is a LP130LTS/RE. It's reliced, but it's not completely beat up. The finish is quite well done, and sunken. It's a one piece body, and it's super light! 7.6lbs!!! The top is killer, but I'm damned sure it's a veneer. (peeked at the layer under the pups.)

Factory Pic:
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    BODY (Top) Flame Maple (Back) Mahogany w/Ivory Binding
    NECK Mahogany
    FINGERBORAD Rosewood, 22frets w/ Ivory Binding
    RADIUS 305R
    SCALE 24.75 inch (628mm)
    NUT Bone (43mm)
    INLAY Pearloid Dish
    JOINT Set-neck
    TUNER GOTOH SD90-SL
    BRIDGE Old Type Tune-Matic & GOTOH GE101Z
    PICKUPS (Front) Seymour Duncan ANTIQUITY
    (Rear) Seymour Duncan ANTIQUITY
    PARTS COLOR Nickel

Here's some pics...

Headstock Shot:
    [​IMG]

Bone nut:
    [​IMG]

Sharp Inlays:
    [​IMG]

Top hump carve: This is a bit weird. It's not completely round like the USA Les Pauls or Modern Historics. It's a little angled, and looks a bit more triangular than I expected, but that's the standard shape for these models.
    [​IMG]

Bottom Horn: Also a bit sharper than modern Les Pauls. More common with 70s Norlin shapes.
    [​IMG]

Pretty aggressive top carve ala Historics or vintage top carves:
    [​IMG]

Aged Japan Gotoh Parts:
    [​IMG]

Here's an interesting pic. The body is actually thicker by 1mm compared to a USA Les Paul. Though on the pic the USA (bottom right) looks like the main cause is the optical illusion that the USA binding is thicker, which it is, but I did measure both of them using a calliper, and the Edwards is indeed thicker!
    [​IMG]

Here's the killer top! (which is sadly a veneer)
    [​IMG]

And the full body shot:
    [​IMG]

Compare that with the USA Lightburst:
    [​IMG]

See the obvious differences in the plastic colour? The LP130 is pretty accurate overall as a '59 clone. With everything the guitar offers, and the price I got it at (approx USD$800), this is an absolute killer guitar! The weight!!! That natural woody tone!!!

The main thing is that the frets are a bit low for my liking. I might have to have it refretted, which also means I might have to end up changing the nut too... Oh well... Lets see how it goes. It's already got an RS modern kit in there to match the antiquities, but the pups are also going to come out to make way for some killer Skatterbrane pups!:naughty:

P.S. yes yes, I know that TRC needs to go too...

2. B Money

B Money Member

Hawt

3. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

Very cool guitar, all the best with it.

So how does it compare to your Gibson?

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Fever In The Funkhouse Silver Supporting Member

One of the interesting idiosyncracies of gear geeks is that even if this guitar was equal to or better than a Gibson that would never be accepted as fact simply because of how much it cost and where it was made.

If someone was smart, they would buy up a bunch of Edwards, re-do them just enough to be un-identifiable and start their own boo-teek shop with a website full of attitudinal quips.

Dudes would shell out thousands for them and then post about how "This kills any R9".

5. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

It's lighter, that's for sure. Honestly, this isn't my first edwards. But this is the first one I've got that is made to match a 59. Blindfolded, I would probably prefer this one over the Gibsons I have. I even wish my Gibsons felt like this. I also wish my Gibsons were built like this. Lightweight, long tenon, good hardware, sharp inlays etc etc. (came with pretty interesting caps) I only wish this Edwards came with the taller frets, non-veneer top and proper binding (fret-wise).

So there are plus and minuses... But I bet you, I've never tried any historic LP that weighs this little, and is still solid!

However, currently the Skatterbranes I have in my Gibsons are killing the Antiquities in the Edwards. Let me throw another set in there first and I'll let you know apple to apple.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

100% correct.

And, don't forget the "investment story", the one about how a Gibson is an investment with better resale value....meanwhile the same guitarist just spent $20,000 on a car that loses value every day he drives it, but he's concerned about possibly losing $300.00 on a his Japanese Les Paul if and when he decides to sell it.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

For the price, no one can beat an Edwards. I've had Tokai's and Edwards, and each have their strong points, but for what you paid, you got a great guitar.

I've owned and played many Gibsons since 1955. It takes a lot longer for me to find a great R9, then it does to find a great Edwards.

Recenty I hit the wall on Gibsons, Fenders and american guitars and amps in general, sold them all and now only play European high-end custom guitars and amps. I don't miss the american gear at all. There are some terrific luthiers in america building great guitars, such as Thorne, but the European builders I use are just as good, and I like their work better.
    If I was to get another LP, I would have Gil Yaron build me a replica.

8. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

Where did you buy it? I've been looking at this too but with the Japanese online retailers it seems to go around 100,000 Yen. Add in at least 100 US for shipping, the customs charges, and you're looking at 1300-1400 USD.

Too bad about the veneer, by the way. And to say I'm not even very fond of flame -- give me a plain top any time. I'm surprised also you don't like the Antiquities. Going by the reviews, I thought they were the creme de la creme.

9. HHB

HHB Member

really cool. I'm all about these MIJs. the weight is really a selling point for me

10. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

It's nice! I have no concept of how an unrelieved, one-piece body could be so light, though! That's nuts.

As for where he got it, I'm guessing the domestic used market. There's one in the Emporium, along with a Telecaster-type from the same series, for roughly what he paid. Both seem like phenomenal deals, given the high-end stock hardware and Edwards' reputation for craftsmanship. Too bad I'm set as far as Teles and LPs go!

I do wish they'd offer this guitar without the relicing though, and maybe with a plain top. I guess I'm one of the few people here who just don't really get the whole 59 thing.

11. slowerhand

12. jetdriver

jetdriver Member

Yeah, I want an Edwards. I have a USMC friends stationed in Japan, that can probably bring one home with him, if I send him the funds. Hmmmm.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Nice axe. Was going to bid on the same model this evening but the guy who was going to buy another instrument I have (Burny LP) delayed the purchase and I missed the Fleabay auction close.

With its solid nitro finish and long neck tenon it tryly is the best of the copies, IMO.

I'm with you though - I prefer taller frets. Both ESP Edwards and Fernandez Burny have the same low frets, similar to the original LP Custom "Fretless Wonder".

14. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Yup, I got it from a local store. Singapore stores do sell Edwards guitars, though I've not really come across many 130s. I've seen the Jimmy Page one before though. That was around for a while because of the price.

While it was used, you can't really tell the condition because it's reliced. But the fretwear was non-existant. It's almost as if the original owner never played it!

I don't dislike the Antiquities. They are nice. Just not clear enough for my liking. I've AB-ed it with my Skatterbrane Earthbranes in my chambered standard, and the Eartbranes are far clearer, and more dynamic. The Antiquities sound dull compared to that, which is odd, because the chambering on the standard ups the mids, but doesn't add clarity, as observed from my previous sets on that same guitar. Solid Les Pauls tend to be a little more compressed, and less mid-rangey. But the Antiquities on this guitar sounds like it's so compressed that there's very little dynamics, and very rounded, which is nice, but I can't get the same level of responsiveness.

However, it is important to note that Antiquities, as vaunted as they are, are not consistant. This might not have been a nice set. I'm sure someone would like them more than I would.

I'll be going for a set of Skatterbrane's new Jysmbranes. A3s. Symmetrical wind. Uncovered.

Check out them tones here: SKATTERBRANE (them clips are at the bottom)

GORGEOUS TONES!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  15. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Navigators and high end Tokai's FTW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

That's HOT!!!! Navigator?:bow

Almost as hot as my other beauty!

[​IMG]

Black, that is...:D

Just kidding... That Navigator is hot for sure...:Devil

17. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Looks like a great guitar. Its got me interested in one possibly...
    My biggest concern is if one day I'll just say...Damn..which i'd just bought a Gibson.

18. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

Made in China, assembled in Japan, and truly the best of the copies...you sure Dave?

Someone will have to convince me it has a long neck tenon...until I've seen a photo of an Edwards showing the long tenon in the neck pickup cavity I won't believe it.
    If I see that photo I'll believe it.

BTW, here's what a medium neck tenon looks like...let's see how long the Edwards long neck tenon is.

[​IMG]

19. slowerhand

Wow, that does sound amazing.

20. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Not a very clear pic, but does this count?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

And one more?

[​IMG]