Nabuchodonosor - Breakdance; an HD500 song

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gavoja, Mar 13, 2012.

1. gavoja

gavoja Member

Hi guys!

This is my very first post, however I must say that I have been a frequent visitor and a reader of this forum. This is the place I found out about the POD HD series that was the time I seriously considered getting and Axe Ultra. So thanks for this! I've decided to wait and eventually got HD500, which is a clear step forward from the XT series I had been using previously. It took some time though to tweak it to sound the way I like. Here's the result:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nabuchodonosor/breakdance[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I'm happy to hear any comments about the sound, the mix and the composition itself.

Cheers!

2. DRS

DRS Member

Nice song. Sounds good. Welcome to TGP.

3. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

Kick ass!! Helluva first post.

Great tune, great playing, great tones. More detail as to guitars/pickups/settings/etc. would be good to know.

4. gavoja

gavoja Member

I play Mayones Regius 7 with a 27" scale. It's got Seymour Duncan Blackouts (AHB-1). I love these pickups, they are truly awesome!

I use Uberschall model boosted with... "Studio EQ" :]. I find that it works better than the Tube Screamer since it doesn't affect the sound. Plus, there's a bit more control over the sound shaping. Boosting the signal in front of an amp is a good way to get that djenty tone. For solos I add a bit of delay and reverb. And that's pretty much it really.

I use POD Farm for bass -- sounds OK-ish. It's a bit of a shame there's no bass model in HD series. There's about to be one, but I doubt it will suit my style. It's not SVT :p.

Mix was done in Reaper, mostly with plugins that comes with it.

5. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

This is most exceptional! Very well done. Sounds fantastic. I have no suggestions about the mix or the tones- they sound great. Are you aware of Animals as Leaders? I would listen to this and them in the same session.

The lead at 2:38 struck me as an unusual unique tone that I wouldn't have necessarily gone for, but in the mix it makes perfect sense and serves to allow it to stand out very nicely...especially at 3:17 when everything else comes back in strong.

Ahhh...djent.

6. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

best first post ever.

now you have to tell everyone your rig and settings.

7. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

lol - i use a 27" 8 string with blackouts as well. I also love using the EQ into Uber model.

My favorite settings are:
    Graphic EQ: 80: -6, 220: +1, 440: -1.5, 1100: +6, 2200: -1.5

Or
    Studio EQ 1: 75 HZ: -5.5, 1500 HZ: +6.5
    Studio EQ 2: 700 HZ: +3, 300 HZ +1.5

Another nice trick I've learned is to use dual amps, but use the same amp. Set Amp A's cab mic to Tread V-30/57 on axis and Amp B to XXL V-30/57 off-axis (or 409 Dyn). Then play with the EQ's in both amps - try to mix the EQ's so you emphasize that range in the better-sounding cab/mic. For example, I usually have amp B's bass set much higher than amp A's, while I tend to use more presence in amp A.

8. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Very cool, great tone and I like the mix! I might boost the bass guitar just a hair, but I'm listening on a pair of bass-light headphones.

9. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Great first post, tune, and tones.

Welcome former lurker.

10. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Supporting Member

Agree 100%.. great djent rhythm tones and crystal cleans. Lead tone has almost an oboe quality like Allan Holdsworth (a good thing!) Interesting composition and melodies too. Some of the best HD500 tones I've heard too.

11. gavoja

gavoja Member

I'm glad you like it. That really motivates.

Tosin Abasi is one of my favorite guitarists actually :D. But I wouldn't go that far and compare AAL to this. He's a cyborg!

12. iasomie_ro

iasomie_ro Member

I find your song more interesting than any AAL song I've heard. Personal taste...