New amp ordered. Goodsell Super 17

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmydeez, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Just placed a order for a Goodsell Super 17 Black series. Can't wait to get this amp.

Any Super 17 players out there. What are your favorite setting? What tones are you going for? What style of music do you play?

Can you tell I'm excited?

2. Jimmydeez

Any Super 17 users out there?

3. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

You should be excited, the Super 17 is a fantastic amp. Currently my settings with single coils are Gain 12:00 Tone and Volume 1:00. There is not a bad sound in the amp. Don't be afraid to experiment with the tone control. Great feel and dynamics from the amp. Loves all my pedals and Richard was great to deal with. Enjoy it.

4. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

gig mine all the time...

mostly an ernie ball axis sport mm-90's...

general settings

vol. 11 o'clock tone 10-10:30 gain 12-1

( just checked...last night i was at vol. 1 o'clock tone 10 o'clock gain 12 o'clock)

1x12 fuchs cab loaded with celestion gold

country/rock/pop

richard is really great

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. cyguitar

cyguitar Supporting Member

I just picked up a Super 17 Mk. 2 head from the emporium (thanks Ancient Rocker). I ran it at my band practice with gain around 2:00, tone 2:00, volume 11:00. I am trying for a bit more gain, with my guitar volume rolled down to 6 1/2, using a LP with 57 Classic Plus/ 57 Classic. I run it through a Avatar vintage 112 with a Greenback. I only have a tubescreamer and a wah on my board. Only use the TS if my rolled up guitar volume isn't loud enough on a solo.

6. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Lately, I have been using an Analogman Astrotone as a dirty boost with the Super 17. It compliments the feel and dynamics of the amp perfectly. It's a great way to add some more hair to the amp. My 2x12 cab with the Hellatone 30/60 speaker mix pairs nicely with the Super 17.

7. Jimmydeez

This is all great info. I plan on setting it for a clean rhythm tone with me Tele. I'll be using a Tim for little crunch. The boost on the Tim for heavier crunch. And a Plimsoul for a lead tone.

Also on the board are an old Budda Bud Wah and an El Capistan.

I'm looking for Tom Petty/Springsteen/Counting Crows strummy type tones. Not searching for them exactly but that is the type of music I play.

8. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I use mine with 2 celestion blues and I pretty much always have the tone knob all the way up, the volume as high as I can use, and the gain around noon...

It's impossible to set the knobs for a bad sound though...

Have fun, its an amazing amp and I haven't been tempted to buy another amp in the 6 or so years I've owned it

9. Jimmydeez

Magnus,

Have you tried it with other speakers. I loved the blue I had in my AC15 and I kinda had it in my head that I would eventually end up with a blue in the super. But Richard told me he likes ceramic mag speakers better.

I plan on giving the RGH a spin. I also have a reaper , which I think the RGH is based on, and an Avater Hellatone 60 (v30) which I can play with.

10. cyguitar

cyguitar Supporting Member

Actually Richard told me his favorite speaker with that amp is a 70th Anniversary G12H30, or one of it's clones. I too like Alnico speakers, and may try all of those speakers to see what sound best to me.

11. Jimmydeez

Yeah after looking at the WGS site it looks like the speaker coming with my Black Series Super 17 is based on a G12-65 which I have never played. I'll give it a shot. If I need to changed I'll probably need to trade or sell my Reaper 55hz and Hellatone. They are both 8ohm.

12. Wheels

Wheels Silver Supporting Member

I am a self-confessed amp whore. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Super 17 Mark III. I have serial #002. I love it so much that I just got a Dominatrix on wednesday and played in stereo this past weekend.

I run my Gain knob around 12 or 1 o'clock with Master set for the room. Tone is anywhere from 10 o'clock to the 3 o'clock range.

Great amp for pedals too. Usually I go thru a old Budda wah too, into a Clark Gainster, a Sex Drive for a nice boost, an Eternity or something for heavier drive, and a phaser and delay. I play a strat, tele and a jazzmaster and they all sound great thru the Goodsells.

The original band I play in is all over the map, sonically (from sweet melodic stuff to all out heavy noise rock) and the cover band I play with does a lot of Counting Crows, Wilco, Radiohead, etc. The Goodsells work perfectly in every situation. I can't say enough about how great these amps are. And Richard Goodsell is a GREAT person to deal with.

Good luck with the amp. My guess is you're gonna love it. Oh, and did I mention they are extremely light and easy to carry?

Wheels

13. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

Congratulations!

I've got a couple S-17s, #0015 and a S-17 L.E. My favorite amps.

I put a Tone Tubby 40/40 greens in mine. Love that speaker. The Goodsells sound great in every room. Usually run my Volume at 2:00, gain at 12:00 and use the guitar volume to control the amp.

14. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

As long as I'm here, can this count as returning your phone call? I'm around for the next couple of weeks if you want to send it ....

15. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

Actually, Richard still likes the 70th Anniv G12H - the Reaper won't clear the chassis on the Black Line, but the Celestion and the RG-65 will...

Jim, your 17 made landfall after 8 days in paradise - I'll be picking it up at lunch tomorrow and sending it straightaway...

RG

16. Jimmydeez

Awesome news.

I have a feeling I won't need to change a thing. If I did I would probably go with an alnico to push the amp into a vox direction.

17. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

From my experiences, the G12H30 will sound great in the S17.

With a tele on the bridge: Gain (volume) at 3 o'clock, tone to taste, Volume (master volume) 11 o'clock....

If yours has the unused 1/2 of V1 (no trem/verb), there is a cool mod... Wire V1a in parallel with V1b for really fat tone.

18. douglas225

douglas225 Member

after quite a bit of experimentation, i have found my mkii 2x10 to sound best when the preamp and power tube overdrive are balanced (or at least that is what i am hearing). for me (using a LP), this occurs when gain is at 10 to 11 o'clock; tone at noon, and master volume nearly to fully maxed (of course too much volume is not an issue because i can mic amp in different room).

if i roll the gain up any more and come down on master, i find that the preamp overdrive sounds really great, but at those settings it is difficult to get a good overdrive sound using pedals/boosts; and it is even more tricky to use the volume knob (the sweep is way too short between cleanish and dirty).

it is amazing how much i have played this amp and am still trying to learn the nuances even though it just has 3 knobs. for what it is worth, i think it is easier to dial in really good, usable tones (with or without pedals) with a tele.....my hb's really push the amp hard....but that is another story.

hope this helps

19. Jimmydeez

Definitely does... I am hoping the amp arrives here today. Gonna be real tough with it sitting next to my desk while I work though.

20. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Member

I absolutely love every tone from my Mk III. I usually run tone at noon to 3:00, gain at noon to 3:00, master to fit the room. This works great on lap steel and P90 guitar. When the lead guitarist in the band got a Top Hat without reverb, I turned my reverb off -- the Goodsell still has this wide open, 3D sound. Awesome amp, and with easy to find, inexpensive EH tubes, too!