New Ark Amp Models

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by fyrwyr, Feb 14, 2008.

1. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

NY Amp Show pic courtesy of Premier Guitar Magazine, Matt Schellenberg in back drawing new head cabs, Bill Holter jamming away into the Model A, the naked chasis in back is the prototype A-28 that Hansoloist played through and reviewed:
    [​IMG]

The new Video demo from the NY Amp Show by Premier Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZdXrVytwo

Model A+
    [​IMG]

Model A-28

[​IMG]

Model B

[​IMG]

Aviator Brian Wooten on tour with Trace Adkins band
    [​IMG]

Some short decriptions of our current product line:

The Model A: 60 watt master volume EL-34 based single channel amp with a mix of British and American "colors" on tap, very organic tone. Complex circuit design 8 years in development...$4000 for base model

The Model A-28: 28 watt version of the Model A; 2 6V6's in fixed bias with our new wide sweep mid control that can almost completely bypass the tone stack. $2000 for base model.

The Model B: Nicknamed "TweedFace", this 20 watt cathode biased 6V6 non-master volume baby goes from ultra shimmery and warm cleans to ferocious thick overdrive. My fav amp of the "Fender-ish" camp, absolutely addictive to play! $1600 for base model

The Model C: Nicknamed "The Sch-Ark" (pictured above), this 15 watt single ended 6L6(or EL34 or 6V6) monster produces a warm clean tone and an aggressive wall of sound I have never heard in it's size, and rarely heard in amps much larger! A master volume amp with a unique "Jaws" control that you have to hear to appreciate, not a "nice" amp at all! $1300 for base model

The Model D-18: The newest of the bunch, looks a lot like the Model A-28 (as of right now) but has a completely different circuit. This amp has 2 EL84's and 2 12ax7's, around 18 watts. Very warm and crunchy in normal mode and extremely high gain capable with the boost switch. A real joy to play, cleans up great and has that special VH "1984" thing happening; you may catch yourself playing VH licks with it;)
    $1800 base price
    The Model D-30: 30 watt 6L6 version of the D-18, huge growly sound when driven and an excellent clean too, very fun to play, still deciding on certain options...
    More products coming soon....

Bill Compeau
    bill@firewirestrings.net

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Sweet looking amps! How would you define the tone of the new Ark Model C?

3. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Thanks!

The Model C has a clean mode that is Fender-ish but can be wound up to a mean growl. The Mean mode has a very rude craked up plexi on fire type sound even with a single 6L6; it can go from the who to AC/DC to somewhat of an Early VH tone. It uses one 12au7, one 12ax7 and a 6L6 or an EL34. 3 tubes in total and a 15 watt output tranny by Heyboer. Handwired of course;)

4. B Vance

B Vance Member

I sincerely hope they will all be in tote to the Detroit fest on the 1st...:RoCkIn

5. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

You betcha;)

6. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

twas nice meeting, seeing you guys at the Nashville guitar show. Nice gear!

7. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Thanks my friend, nice meeting you too!

8. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art Silver Supporting Member

Those are beautiful amps.

9. catherinef

catherinef Member

Beautiful looking amp! What are the controls on the front panel?

Thanks!

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Thanks!

The layout from left to right: Boost switch, master volume, one knob tone stack, mean knob (adds more "voltage" to the sound, more presence), gain knob and mode switch (from clean(ish) to mean)

Just listened to the final proto-type of what will now be called the model "B", and am very pleased with it. A twin 6v6 cathode biased non-master volume clean machine that has incredible gain when cranked. Works VERY well with the guitar volume pot! Warm like a fender but extremely chimey, almost like a 12 string sound! I have never heard an amp sound quite like it. Also has a 2 knob tone stack that works very well, with the treble all the way down we were getting somewhat of a cranked plexi tone out of it.

Next to come is a new chasis and a new head shell design to compliment it, hope to have it ready for the NJ amp show in May...

11. catherinef

catherinef Member

Thank you for taking the time to explain the layout. I was wondering if it had a master volume. Looks beautiful, and based on your reputation, I'm positive it sounds just as spectacular. I'll definitely be checking one out!

12. catherinef

catherinef Member

Just ran across another thread where you were describing an amp you were tentatively going to call the SAILFISH. Sounded like your take on the Bassman. Is this amp still being actively pursued? If so, would love to hear more of the details. Thanks so much!

13. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Yeah, the "sailfish" nick name is still up in the air, but the design is almost complete, still finalizing the tone stack and debating about keeping the boost function, I like it but Randy (our new designer/co-designer) is having second thoughts about it. It runs 2 6V6's push-pull in cathode bias at around 15 watts-lower plate voltages on this model. The chime on this amp is almost 12 string/chorus like,I don't recall ever hearing another amp quite like it.

I have decided to make the official model name (Not the nick name) the "model B" that way the "B" can remind people that it has some similarities to an old Bassman, our cleanest amp so far.

This is a non-master amp that when pushed beyond 12:00 it starts to breakup beautifully, and when maxed out soloing becomes very tempting:dude

It also has a 2 knob tone stack with the mid being static inside, works very well.

I hope to have the display model ready for the NJ amp show May 10, possibly by March 1 for the Motor City Amp Showcase. The chasis itself is around 15 1/4" inches wide, the model C has a 12 inch wide chasis.

We are currently working on a single 12" cab for the model B and C, the drawings are done, just need to test it out...

Thanks for your interest!

Bill

14. catherinef

catherinef Member

I'm anxiously awaiting the NJ amp show in May!!!

15. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Me too!!!

We are preparing to build the first "trade show" worthy Model B this week, I really hope it is ready for the Detroit amp showcase March 1!! I cranked it really good today and had a hard time stopping, for a "clean" amp it sure likes to cook!!

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Just finalized the design on the model B last night, should be ready soon;)

17. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

We just sold a model B before the first demo model is finished being built, I am thinking about offering it as a combo as well now....

Pics will come when the box is done...

18. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Looks like the model B will be mostly ready for the Detroit showcase, it may just need a back panel which will not stop us from bringing it along, it will still make noise;)

19. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Man, I wish I could make it, but that's just a little too far to drive.

I look forward to hearing more about the single ended amp.

Mike

20. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

The model C or "sCh-ark" is very aggressive thus the nick-name;) It has a nice clean mode but with much less volume than the mean mode, this things really cranks through our 2x12 cab:RoCkIn 1 12au7, 1 12ax7 and a 6L6 or EL-34. Not based off any design that exists, totally unique little amp:RoCkIn