NEW Epiphone Valve Junior Speaker Cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by es125luv, May 4, 2007.

1. es125luv

es125luv Member

What do you guys think the new Epiphone Valve Junior 1x12 Speaker Cab will be like...

I wonder how that Eminence "Lady Luck" speaker sounds...

but man, at $129 bucks at MF shipped, might not be bad.

2. searchin4signal

searchin4signal Member

I just checked that out at MF and there is also a 4x12 Epiphone Triggerman cab for only $100 bucks more than the Valve Jr. 1x12....thats gotta be the cheapest price for a new 4x12 cab I have ever seen.

Edit....I just saw that shipping on that Triggerman cab is an additional $70. But MF might likely have a "Free Shipping on all orders over $199" promotion at some point and forego the shipping on the bigger cab.

3. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Yes, I am seriously thinking of getting it

4. truedog

truedog Member

I am really considering the Valve Jr and Cabinet as a home practice amp. The lack of controls on the head concerns me a little, but I really would like the real tube tone as opposed to my little Carvin SX100 solid state combo.

Has any heard or seen the cabinet yet?????

5. truedog

truedog Member

Does anyone have one of these cabinets yet? How does it sound with the VJ head??????????????????????

6. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

trying to talk myself out of getting one myself...

7. Mr. Mandolin

Mr. Mandolin Member

the lady luck speaker has been available in the Epi blues custom for some time now, and it has gotten decent reviews. I do wonder why they chose to put that speaker (70w 16ohm) in a cab designed for a 5 watt head.

8. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

^ i also was wondering that. speaker breakup really sounds nice with the VJ, in my opinion.

9. twangyt

twangyt Member

I got one on Monday and have been playing through it all week. The cab is open back and made well (like the head cab). The speaker is decent and continues to sound better as it breaks in. I must say, I am seriously thinking about putting in a greenback and making this little amp setup complete! Looking at the printed material that came with the cab, it does appear that Epi is planning on selling the head/cab as a package deal in the future. I have also noticed (now that the cabinets are finally available) that the heads are back-ordered until JUNE! All in all, this little amp set-up is WELL worth the $230 bucks or so (modded or un-modded) IMO...

10. es125luv

es125luv Member

That's good news, plus they look pretty cool. I know I will end up changing the speaker out one day after I buy one.

Well, time to go use someone else's money (VISA) and get one.:dude

11. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I just ordered one. I will report back once I get it.

12. dad gad

dad gad Member

here you go..... http://www.musicainsfriend.com/ .btw, i took advantage of the free freight deal a while back and its great, wired for stereo or mono, just waiting to swap the speakers, but not a bad deal, even just for a cab!!

13. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Got the valve jr cab and i am really enjoying it. can't possibly do better at $129 shipped.

14. dad gad

dad gad Member

what were you using previous to this and how does it compare?

15. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I was using the 2x12 cab from my Silvertone 1484 (two vintage low powered Jensens). I actually like it a little better with the 1x12 Valve Junior cab--a little tighter and a little more articulate. It also could be the ohmage difference--my silvertone cab was 4 ohms while this one is 16 ohms. Also, judging speakers can be tought funny because it really depends on the setting, guitars, room, volume, etc. I am playing an SG at moderate volumes (not cranking it) and haven't tried it in a band situation. I definitely haven't put it through its paces--I raved about the new Gibson Melody Makers when they first came out and then did a 180 after spending a little more time with them--but I think it sounds pretty good. At the price, you cannot go wrong, that's for certain.

16. voxer

voxer Member

I'm considering a 1x12" speaker cab to use at home with my Voxer 18 head so my main cab can stay in the trailer...keeping the wife happy...including the used market, is there ANYTHING in this price range that would compete with the Epi cab tonally?

I'm not asking for a lot out of it, as I'm not willing to spend the $$$ like I did on my main rig, but I don't want to play through something that's so cheap that it sounds bad. Am I making sense?

17. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Have you tried the epi cab and were you disappointed? I would think it would be very tough to get something in this price range new.

18. dad gad

dad gad Member

no and no.

19. Thepilot

Thepilot Supporting Member

got one and an eminence private jack on order- we'll see.

i've been using my jr head with a recto 2x12 cab with V30s- it's pretty amazing, but it's heavy, hoping this will be comparable.

20. Thepilot

Thepilot Supporting Member

ok- mine got in. that eminence lady luck speaker is garbage. very harsh/trebly. The cab is decent- very good for the price. the inside of mine has glue drizzled on the wood- none on the speaker. that's really the only flaw.

i swapped the stock speaker out for an eminence private jack (essentially a greenback that breaks up easier). i'm a happy camper- cab is warm and gritty- just beautiful.