New from Dr. Scientist: The Ultimate Tremolessence

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hclapp219, May 27, 2011.

1. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Ryan at Dr. Scientist has completely reworked the Tremolessence, including giving it a true stereo signal path while keeping it in a 125B size box. Pretty cool! Here are the specs he listed over at the ILoveFuzz forum:

>9 - 18VDC operation
    >bulletproof reverse polarity protection
    >soft touch true bypass relay based switching
    >stereo input and output with separate audio paths
    >mono input stereo output operation possible too
    >stereo output choice of sync (unison tremolo) or pan (left then right tremolo)
    >expression control of rate and depth (works in stereo)
    >'hold' mode allows foot- switch to be used as momentary engage for effect with adjustable rise time (works in stereo)
    >5mm led on/off indicator, 3mm led always on oscillator status indicator
    >huge range of rate
    >active treble control with +/- 15dB of boost and cut
    >lots of volume available, can be used as clean boost/treble boost pedal in 'hold' mode
    >square and triangle waveforms with widely adjustable symmetry/pulse width
    >analog signal path and oscillator with digital bypass switching
    >hand-rolled LED/LDR optocouplers (nothing sounds as good as home made )
    >top mounted input/output/power jacks with side mounted expression jacks
    >new enclosure (125B) is approximately 5mm wider than previous version (increase is the width of a pencil)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

Those guys are awesome. I have a reverberator and i love it... absolutely wish I could afford one of these...

3. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

wow looks awesome. prob cant afford one tho. :eek:(

4. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

He said they are going to retail for $250 and the first shipment will be at Analogue Haven very soon.

5. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

That is very awesome. Does the expression control mean it will have tap-tempo capabilities, or just a sweep control?

6. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Member

So f'ing want this. It's the trem I've waited my entire life for. I kid you not.

7. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Just sweep, according to Ryan. He had this to say on why it doesn't have tap tempo:

The Tremolessence is and always will be a fully analog oscillator, that's not something I want to change about the pedal.

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=12993&p=165820&hilit=tempo#p165820

8. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Supporting Member

That's probably the most knobs, switches and jacks I've ever seen on a standard sized pedal.

9. Occam

Occam Member

The original is pretty awesome but I guess mine is now obsolete...oh well.

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Supporting Member

Love the top loaded jacks, but don't like the use of singular stereo jacks; it means you have to buy new cables . . .

I would have preferred a larger pedal with dual inputs/outputs up top. I may look into the Young Pedal "The Looker" as an alternative (cheaper too!)

TG

11. muffinMan74

muffinMan74 Member

want this

12. enocaster

enocaster Member

Do want.

13. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Silver Supporting Member

Way to go Ryan! :love

14. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Supporting Member

Fair enough, but I think what people have come to love about the Tremolessence is how it has so many features packed into such a small size.

15. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Member

I have to add ... it's nice to see a trem with so many features that isn't tap tempo. I've come to realize that I don't like tap tempo on a trem.

16. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I just picked one of these up (in the mail) and I have a couple of questions:

I think the first question was already answered, but it has stereo jacks (as opposed to dual ins/outs)? So does that mean you use a TRS cable? Most stereo pedals have dual ins and outs, so how do you pair it with them? Would you use some sort of cable that has a stereo plug on one end and then splits into two mono plugs on the other end (for connecting to both inputs of another dual ins/outs type stereo pedal?

Second, the OP says it can be used as a clean boost/treble boost in hold mode. What does hold mode have to do with it? I know lots of Dr. Sci pedals can be used as a boost with the depth all the way off. Why would it have to be in hold mode? And if it did only work this way in hold mode, does that mean you'd only get a momentary clean/treble boost (only when holding the switch)?

If anyone could explain, that would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Also, anyone have an reviews/thoughts about this pedal. When this was first announced, I thought it was one of the coolest looking pedals ever but there has been very little talk about it now that it's been out for a little while. Perhaps it's because it's a little pricey for a non-tap tremolo? I currently use a Cusack TAW V3 which I love to death, but I need space on my board and also just wanted to try this pedal and compare ever since I heard about it. I would think this would be the ultimate regular sized tremolo pedal, but I guess a lot of people just end up going with a tap trem like the Empress, Cusack, or Diamond since they're all about the same price as the Tremolessence.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

17. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

If it uses stereo plugs, then yes, you'll need two leads that have two mono jacks at one end going to one stereo jack at the other to get full stereo operation.