New Gustavsson guitars at Wildwood

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Blauserk, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

I see several guitars billed as "Gustavsson" guitars at Wildwood, but the prices are less stratospheric than I'd expect for the ones built by Johann himself. These must be PBG guitars; I see they say on the back of the headstock that they're built in Arroyo Grande, California.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/0611jg01146.php?CategoryID=10&n=5

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1111jg02244.php?CategoryID=10&n=11

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1211jg02247.php?CategoryID=10&n=10

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

They are PBG built.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I love this one

[​IMG]

4. Route234

Route234 Member

"they're built in Arroyo Grande, California"

Thats the PBG "signature".

The black and tan one and the black and tan Phoenix look incredible. They did a great job on that finish!

5. beorn

beorn Member

6. korby

korby Supporting Member

I never got that whole PBG thing ?

7. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

You have a good point about a JG designed guitar built by Baker. But it's a different story with other PBG vendors. Two Rocks are still designed and built by the same people. It's merely the marketing that is different with different ownership. PBG is willing to put the resources into marketing in a way that the original owners were not willing to do.

8. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

Agree. And I own a Gustavsson (a "real" one....)

9. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

And so are the prices that rendered them unobtainable by most people.

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

a good guitar is a good guitar, guys.

if these are good guitars...wel, then they are good guitars.

11. Route234

Route234 Member

:agree

12. amc

amc Member

the ebay listing starts with large capital letters PBG.
    you obviously are aware of the pbg story.
    the potential serious buyers browsing wildwood's site (or ww's ebay listings) planning to purchase this pbg/schroeder radio lane are aware of the pbg factory in arroyo grande that builds these fine instruments.

i can't imagine a serious buyer of such an esoteric boutique guitar that sells for thousands
    of dollars not being somewhat knowledgeable regarding such instruments.

13. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Supporting Member

Thats some seriously shady marketing...

They are 100% using the reputation to sell guitars built by someone else.

And if the guitars are great, then they should stand on their own 2 feet... But nobody wants a fake Gustavsson that actually says "fake gustavsson" on the guitar- ie PBG.

There is NO question every single one should have PBG on the headstock... made in Arroyo Grande aint the same thing at all...

Pathetic.

The ENTIRE point of buying a Gustavsson is that HE built it...

14. mudster

mudster Supporting Member

OK, I'm seriously confused. So if PBG builds them, who does the building? Is it the PBG luthiers listed on their site or ????

15. narad

narad Member

This always struck me as such a bad idea. The only benefit coming out of it is that I get to see some cool ideas come together...to then possibly order from Johan. I mean, I care about who builds the guitars, not who designs them.

16. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I disagree that the only benefit is for the customer. The participating builders benefit in many ways.

17. Timmo

Timmo Supporting Member

This whole PBG never felt right to me and NO, I would never be a customer but hey, that's me.

;)

18. Route234

Route234 Member

I dont think its that clear cut at all. Gustavsson is not selling guitars for 3k or less and those guitars are clearly his designs. There is nothing nerfarious about selling a nice guitar for 2-3k. I dont think anyone who is in this realm buying these kinds of guitars isnt aware. Made in Arroyo Grande is enough. If someone brought a guitar with "Made in Arroyo Grande" and thought it was made by Gustavsson himself they would have to be asleep at the wheel. None of these builders builds there or has ever built there. You can tell pre PBG Fanos from post PBG Fanos and I think Dennis Fano is still making those or directly involved with PBG or something.

I guess you can argue that they should put PBG someplace, but I think the argument that its some kind of shady deal is a moot point. People know who is doing what at this point. You would just have to be under a rock or lazy or something just to drop 3k on something and have no clue what it is or isnt.

19. Route234

Route234 Member

I be curious to hear what Johan says when you order his 3k model. I bet he primes up the gear and starts building ya one as soon as he hangs up the phone.

Face it, he isnt taking orders on his 10k+ models. He doesnt have time to start producing guitars in the 3k range and his designs are cool. The designs on a lot of these guitars are important. I think that guitar looks very much like Johans other models, its got the same DNA or something. Ultimately, its just a matter of whether or not the guitar plays and sounds like something you want to drop 3k on. The other stuff is just conjecture.

20. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The PBG crew headed by Gene Baker builds them. They are amazing.

Which is the shady and pathetic part? That Johan chose to enter into this relationship willingly? That PBG chose to build the guitars? That the dealers get to sell really awesome guitars? That guitar players (not collectors) get to buy said guitars for very reasonable prices? Yeah, that's pretty low. I see why you guys have all the butthurt and bile.