NYC Pedal Boards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LOCUSTFIST, Jun 3, 2008.

1. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

any body pick one up? The prices look killer.

any good?

their site

2. onestop

onestop Supporting Member

Yup. Great boards! I have a custom version of the Gigman (same length but not as deep) and once own the Lunchbox version which I'm thinking of buying again.

3. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

Love my gigman. A few of my friends have them to.

4. meterman

meterman Member

Have had a Gigman for several years, great board. Had a Pedalhead too but sold it, now I have added a Six Shot. Good design, solid workmanship, good prices.

As an aside, I honestly can't understand why anyone would want a board that didn't have a solid, latching lid with the board as the bottom of the case. Pedalboard in a soft bag, what's the point? Flight case with board in the bottom slightly better, but this design where you just put it on the floor & pop the lid is the way to go IMHO of course....

5. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

thanks guys

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Good point. Now I'm gonna have to buy one of these. And to think I have been perfectly happy with my Furman (soft case) until now. Damn, sometimes I hate TGP.
    :)

7. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

My pedalhead came today and it looks great, good quality and looks

8. Don L

Don L Member

I have a Pedalhead with 2nd level riser and love it!!!

9. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

The only issue I have with mine is if you remove pedals to move them around, the velcro tends to cause the carpet to lift and get kinked/lumpy after a while.
    I've had to remove the entire top wooden plank, and stretch out the carpet to flatten it, and then put the screws back in.

10. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah that can happen, some of the stronger Velcro can really grip. I usually pull up with one hand while pressing down on the fabric next to the pedal to minimize stretching etc. Mike will recover a board for a very reasonable charge but the shipping is not cheap....

11. meterman

meterman Member

LOL sorry bro. Just a bad flashback to the days when I schlepped my homemade board back and forth in a pillowcase and my stuff got all beat to hell :)

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have a 6 shot, very well made board. I did have an issue with the material they use for mounting your pedals after a while it did become loose and lift up but I ripped all that out and replaced it with heavy duty velcro from 3M....much better with that stuff!

13. onestop

onestop Supporting Member

Quick tip. Go to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, WHATEVER) and purchase a plastic putty knife -something like this: http://www.reddevil.com/productDetail.cfm?id=4711RT&c=pk&cat=7

And use that to slide it in between the velcro on the pedal and the carpeting. It'll save your board and help keep from tugging at the base :AOK

14. meterman

meterman Member

How old is your board J? They were using some cheaper stuff in the beginning but I believe they have switched to the Velcro brand fabric as of a few years ago and it's much better stuff.

15. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i hadn't seen these-- very very nice. looks like i can finally get one the size i need w/o building it myself.

16. guildchild

guildchild Member

or use the credit card style hotel room keys. this takes up less room and can hide anywhere on the board.

i've got a big shot with split risers. had it for about 9 months and really like it. it's seen about 100 shows, airplanes, etc and, although showing signs of wear, is still perfectly intact. also, when things break or get torn off, the guy at nyc is really great about getting you going again.

17. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art Silver Supporting Member

I love my six, best board I've had. I've got the upgrade latches etc...

I did however install a 3/16 smoked plexi top on it and the pedals velcro down like a dream. 0 movement. No issues.

I'll try to post a pic here soon.

18. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Haha! I hear ya! Actually the soft case with the Furman isn't too bad. If i were doing heavy road touring I'd go for the hard case as you described. But for the local gigs, this one's fine. It has a couple of pouches on the inside where I can keep all my guitar cables and back up pedal cables etc. So I'm down to a guitar on my back, pedal bag in one hand, amp in the other.

19. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art Silver Supporting Member

Screws are countersunk course drywall screws. 4'' apart. If you decide to do this make sure the original top screws are below the surface and stay a good 1.5 inches [​IMG]away from the edges and corners. Too close and you'll split the plexi.

20. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

i like the lunch box model, but the bigger ones become problematic for me in terms of where i stash the power supply...