Odd amp: BK Butler Tube Works TD 752 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SurfGreenTele, May 25, 2010.

1. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

Anyone here own one? I've found one of these for sale (somewhat locally) for only $80...haven't heard back from the seller yet though. I wasn't aware of them before, but the few reviews I've read are very good. I'm hoping to grab it as a second amp. 100w, 2 channels, tube driver preamp, SS power amp, & reverb.

A pic of an identical one, and some other close ups of an amp taken out of the chassis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tremster

tremster Member

Interesting amp. Is it a 1x12 amp? How many watts (75 watts, I guess)?

3. mj07

mj07 Gold Supporting Member

They sound good. I bought one I found as a gift for a friend who needed reliable tone. He does not take the best care of his gear, so this is the perfect amp for him. I put a nice old G.E. in the pre slot and it sounds great. Drive sounds great IMO, but the cleans are a little squishy.

4. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

good amps. Essentially their real tube preamp and mosvalve power amp built into one, but they work great, and sound great. Stack mode is cool too.

The BK butler stuff is really underrated. Reliable, good tones (if not a little compressed in the distortion channel by itself) but if your a strat or tele guy, you're good to go.

Gig worthy!

5. Jahn

Jahn Member

like the ibanez tube screamer amp sorta, eh? ahead of its time! who's for a Klon amp?

6. dandythomas

dandythomas Member

That is my understanding as well. I have one of their tube preamps and mosvalve power amps as separates. They sound quite good paired together. For the price that seems like a great deal.

Andy

7. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

I had one

It was a great amp and I'm almost sorry I got rid of it. Lots of power in a small package. Two channels and I remember it liking pedals.

For $80 you can't go wrong. It's worth it just to keep around for a spare.

Plenty of power for gigging, I even used it with an acoustic a coupla times.

8. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I used to play with a singer/songwriter who used one of these. He made it sound really nice - it was a fluffy sounding thing, if that makes sense! Rich, I guess. I'd sure pay 80 bucks for it!

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

fwiw: In case you score it, here're 2 scans I made for an earlier thread on these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. toneispower

toneispower Supporting Member

I posted a thread much like yours a while back. I found mine at GC for 180 bucks! I run my pedal steels through it! lol! cool stuff..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!!

11. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

You guys are scoring, dammit.
    I've been running the company's Real Tube or Blue Tube pedals on my pedal boards for about 25 years.

12. mondo500

mondo500 Member

I've still got a half-stack — slightly later period (bought it new in '92)... it's the unsightliest of my amplifiers, so mrs mondo has been trying to make me sell it for a while now. I bought Real tube and Blue Tube pedals so I could retain some of its flavour should she ever win the battle. It's never been a cool amp to be seen with, but people always shut up once they hear it.

13. Moander

Moander Member

I have a Tube Works MV-962 rack mount, which is a pure clean power amp, and as well, I have their RT-2100 2x12 combo amp.

The MV-962 has no effects loop, thus Guitar>Boss GT-6>MV-962>4x12 cabinet

I get tube nazi's asking me what I'm using :)

On the combo amp, I use the effects loop, make one change on my GT-6.

The combo is 100w, and can cut through a Bonham/oversized bass kit abuser with no issues......with chunk and clarity, and about half the dial left .....

These solid state amps are SO made for today's amp modeling processors, it's scary....

14. toneispower

toneispower Supporting Member

Bump for a cool thread...

15. SteveO

SteveO Member

I still have my Real Tube II preamp and MosValve power amp that I bought in the very early 90s, still going strong. The MosValve was my gig rig amp for years, and it never had any problems keeping up with loud drummers. It still sees duty as the second amp in a stereo rig with a Mesa Mark V and as the power for a GSP1101. I'll never sell it!

16. Moander

Moander Member

I won't sell my Tube Works gear either... in fact, I'm on a gathering spree atm.....

I love my MV-962, my RT-2100 2x12 combo. I'm looking for the RT-2100 1x12, and the 2100 rack mount........I'll take a spare 962 :)

Thing is, I love my tone now, and I want the gear in place should a piece go through say an epic fail......

BK Butler, from what I hear, is remotely considering making amps again.. thus, I'm trying to build interest......

17. SurfGreenTele

Well, I missed out - I think someone snagged it quickly, and the ad was pulled. But great info posted here. :cool:

There's another for sale even closer (an RT-2100 1x12) but the seller is asking $400, and it looks a bit dirty. I'm thinking he won't be willing to cut that price in half, otherwise I'd consider.

18. marsos52

marsos52 Member

years ago i have the 100 watts head with a 2x12 cab ...i really liked the amp and found it versatile and dependable...the tube works cab is ok ..not bad not the best

i sold it to a friend who has been giging with it ever sence...he changed the original tubes with a year or so ago...and i have another friend who has the the 1x12 combo
    and its his back up amp and he loves it also

i would like to have a 1x12 combo again for backup and small sessions

19. SurfGreenTele

20. Moander

Moander Member

My thoughts on the Genz Benz line of Tube Works? This is me only....

I'd stay away. From the way Genz Benz literally trashed and discontinued the line, and added digital effects to the amps, my bet would be they're not the same.....I have no experience with the GB stuff, as I have been following my own gut instinct... the best reviews are on the BK Butler stuff....

The $400.00 price tag on the 1x12 seems a bit high... one just sold on eBay for $200 plus shipping IIRC.......

When I bought my RT-2100 2x12, I bought it locally, with footswitch, near mint, for $300.00, with a live try-out to boot.

I finally got all the manuals, just have about 10 or so to upload, then I'll have a full back up archive of them... I can't imagine, with how GB has been telling people they are SOL, and I've heard being very rude, that they'd offer the manuals for much longer, though I may be wrong.....

I'm glad some of you appreciate the site I'm trying to make.... it's done, minus some content, but I can use a community :)

If any of you Tube Works / BK Butler fans have some time, drop on by....

The sole reason for this site, is to get BK back into making amps and other gear again, besides the special order pedals he's offering now....

I'd love to be able to get an RT-921 tube Reverb unit NEW !!! ???

I'm 48 years old, beyond sold on BK Butler's designs, and gear, and the site is gonna be around for a long time.....