OK so I'm listening to some Derek Trucks...........(Jimmy Herring content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by OldSchool, Feb 27, 2010.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

On my sirius FM. It was song called "kicking back" off of Out of the Madness.

Started off nice and slow, some very cool melodic lines........just sweet signature Derek . Then as the song progressed it just exploded with incredible Lead playing. No slide just super fast almost on the verge of sweep picking , over and over . I was like.........:eeks:confused: thats not Derek! So I did some research and found out that was no other then Jimmy Herring playing on that cut. Bought the album today. That guy is a Monster!! Love derek to death, Warren Haynes is on the disc as well. But Jimmy's playing is the highlight of that disc.

Who here has Jimmy's solo disc? Can he write great music as well or is he just a great hired fast gun? I have the Frog Wings disc as well , and its cool........but Nothing like he unleashed on that solo in "kicking Back". :bonk:bow

Fantasic tone on that one too. He's a PRS man correct?

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love that CD, Herring and Trucks are magic together. Herring is great. His solo CD is very good too, but I like him more in the context of ARU and Trucks.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Does he pull out solos like "Kickingback" on ARU ? I have Frog Wings and its a bit out there for me.......I think John Popper dominates that disc too much. I have to check out ARU. [​IMG]

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, he is on fire on the ARU CDs. Also, the Colonel Bruce Hampton and ARU Live CD is killer as well.

5. StratManKudzu

StratManKudzu Member

Herring has been touring with Widespread Panic recently too. Great musician with diverse playing styles. I've seen him playing modified strats with Panic in addition to his PRS guitars.

6. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

What other Trucks band records is Herring on?

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I think his solo record is probably the most accessible of his recordings, and has some of his scariest playing too. He did some great stuff on the Endangered Species CD too(w/ T. Lavitz, Richie Hayward, and Kenny Gradney), that was more on the inside of his style too. Project Z is more diverse, and has some examples of his more outside styles. ARU which has been mentioned is also fantastic, as is Jazz is Dead, and Frogwings.

8. loofery

loofery Member

He really cranks it up around 3:45

If you liked that clip you can get that song here: http://www.archive.org/details/dtb2009-09-16.schoepsmk21

You can download loads of taped shows with Jimmy for free from archive.org - with Trucks, ARU, Codetalkers (probably my favorite) etc.

I like his solo album a lot but I'm into jazz and fusion, don't know if you find that accessible. Great tunes though.

9. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Jimmy's solo disc is great. Definitely some good tunes and great playing. Well worth picking up IMO.

10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Jimmy played with Phil (Lesh) and Friends for several years as well. So special was this band that Phil Started to refer to it as the Quintet.

Not exactly jazz/fusion but some great gruop improv in the Dead tradtion.

Many, many downloads avaialble from eTree and the Archive.

11. AdamCook

AdamCook Member

Jimmy's solo disc is one of my favorite instrumental guitar records of all time. Just incredibly complex and tasty at the same time. Tones are to die for. Some of the tunes are surprisingly straight ahead jazz...it is not all "fusion" or "jam band".

12. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

He played PRS a lot with Jazz Is Dead (also worth checking out if your into the Dead style but you don't want to have to listen to Phil Lesh "sing"), but Jimmy seems to always go back to his modded strat.
    I've been lucky enough to meet Jimmy a couple of times and I think it's important to say how nice of a guy he is. He's incredibly humble and down to earth. Makes me appreciate his talent even more!

13. harmonicator

harmonicator Supporting Member

One of my top 5 players for sure. That "shuffle picking" nonsense remains a mystery for the ages...so smooth!

the ones to get are 'mirrors of embarassment', and the self-titled live one he did with ARU.

14. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Where should I start with ARU?

15. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

Aru put out a live disc that is fantastic. I'd start there.

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Gold Supporting Member

JH is a sweet soul and a talented player. I enjoy transcribing his pieces (especially the JID sessions).

I thought Project Z was interesting, too...

Wish he'd drop in here some time...we are so far from EVERYTHING...

DS

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That kicked ass! Thanks for sharing! Time to start discovering Jimmy more even though he's been under my nose for quite a while![​IMG]

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Isn't it the truth? I grew up in NYC where I was at the center of it , to South Florida where you would be lucky to get something cool within a 3 hour radius. [​IMG]

19. eoshreds

eoshreds Member

Scapegoat Blues from Lifeboat is pretty amazing.

20. Brooks

Brooks Member

ha. yep. JID's "blue light rain" has some great stuff. the dead is like dylan or monk; i like the songs, but only when someone else does 'em.

to me, herring is like eric johnson or yngwie; amazing, but kinda too good. i prefer the seat of the pants jeff beck/wayne krantz chaotic vibe.