Open back vs. closed back 2x12's what's your preference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by schwa, Jan 19, 2011.

1. schwa

schwa Member

I'm on a bit of a search for the best 2x12 to match to my Marshalls. I have a 2061x head (20w) and a 2204 (50W).

I'm curious to hear what you guys are running, and speaker choices as well. If you're running an open back cab, did you choose that after trying a closed back or vice versa?

I expect that a closed back with greenbacks would be a popular choice, but am interested in what everyone likes and why.

2. xtian

xtian Member

It's certainly typical to use closed back cabs with Marshall. But a lot of it depends on where you're playing, at what volume, and with which other instruments. If you're on stage playing with a drummer, closed back helps isolate the instruments, gives you more projection (helpful if you're standing 10' in front of the cab), and snappier, thumpier response.

Open back cabs are great for playing by yourself at home or in studio. Better ambiance with sound reflecting off surfaces behind the cab.

Avatar makes convertible cabs. They feature a large lozenge shape in back that you can remove with screws. Nice to have the option.

3. Dawg76

Dawg76 Member

Bought an open-back Avatar Traditional 2x12 (at-home playing) and ended up getting their enclosure piece ($15) and closed it up. Go figure. Speakers are Emi Texas Heat and Celestion G12H30. I like the good bottom-end and punchiness of the Emi along with the upper/mids capability of the Celestion. Cab-wise, I recommend going w/ the 'convertible' option.

4. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Stone-Age 2x12C with a narrow open-back. Punchy, yet open!

5. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

It's hard to describe in words, but open-back cabs "breath" more.. I've swapped my Greenbacks around between open and closed cabs, and I actually prefer them in an open-back. I would say I'm a "moderate" volume player.. I play in clubs with average hitting drummers.. We get loud but not REAL loud. When you REALLY crank things up, open cabs can get flabby and a closed-back cab holds together much better... so it really depends on the situation.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I prefer open.........bigger 3D sound.........

7. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Silver Supporting Member

Front ported. Best of all worlds for a 2 x 12", in my experience. :aok

8. voojo

voojo Silver Supporting Member

9. dspellman

dspellman Member

Mine are closed back with ports in the front.

10. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Closed-back if I'm playing rock. Open for everything else.

11. bettset

bettset Member

i was an open/oval back 2x12 user..........until i found the forte too. mine has tone tubbys. not boomy. pushes air real nice :munch

12. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

the dr z best cab is just killer. it is a little bas heavy, but a couple golds sorted that out. i loved the stock v-30/ g12h 30 anny in it, but the golds are just too good.
    this cab has a port down the left side facing, or bottom laying length wise.
    i also have a dr z 1/12 that can be opened or closed. same sive as a maz sr 1/12 combo. sounds great. also a gold in that one.

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Those Forte cabs look very interesting! :aok

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have two 2x12s... a closed back with JBL K120s and an open back with a G12H30 and a Blue Dog.

:dude

For crunchy tones, I think I prefer an open back, but I don't gig... I like the tweaking capability an open cab offers. If I gigged, I guess I would lean towards a closed cab for consistency but who knows.

15. pappafox

pappafox Member

Stone Age 2x12B w/ semi open back. Loaded with 2 H75 Scumbacks. Marshall 50w on top. I ordered it with the 3 panels and a solid back, and I used the solid back panel for quite a while, but recently switched to the two piece panels for more stage presence. Sounds killer!

16. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Supporting Member

I have both closed back and front ported cabs. The closed backs have punch and projection. The front ported cabs add extra low end response that makes them rival 4x12's. Open backs are too diffuse and lack punch and fullness for me.

17. lukeII

lukeII Member

I have a 112 Reinhardt cab with an extra panel for closing the back. My preference for open vs closed depends on the room acoustics. In a room with very hard surfaces (Marble floor and concrete walls) I found that the closed back allows me to eliminate some of undesirable acoustics and get better tone for the room because the close back allows for a more focused sound.

In a nice room, acoustically speaking, I much prefer it open back as it just makes the amp sound more airy and open.

I use the cab with a Two Rock Classic Reverb

18. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Gold Supporting Member

I like this for Marshally drive. I cut down a 4x12 ply slant cab with a sealed back (front loader), chambered it, and front ported it. I'm using 2 vintage Celestion G12-65s with a Reinhardt JKC33. Clean and driven, man, this thing just puts the tone out there!

For Fender cleans, I prefer open back. I had a Bassman head with a convertible 2x12 at one time. Closed wasn't what I wanted. Open opened the sound greatly. I had 2 vintage Jensen C12N's with that cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. harpinon

harpinon Gold Supporting Member

Open back cabs offer more liveliness while closed backs offer tightness and punch.

20. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

My White Box Cab has a 3 piece back. Bottom piece removed makes it ported for a huge tight bottom end, 2 pieces removed gives it more open airy sound. Closed is very in your face for projecting to a larger crowd. 2 Eminence deltalite pros Neo magnets, 250 watts each. A simply amazing cab. It can do any type of music. Heaviest of Metal, to the smoothest of Jazz.