Original small clone chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenno5050, May 25, 2012.

1. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

Has anyone used an original small clone? Are they any better than modern ones?

2. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

Anybody?

3. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

I don't think many originals are about t be honest compared to other vintage EH pedals hence maybe why its quiet

4. SonicVI

SonicVI Supporting Member

I've owned three originals, but never had a reissue to compare directly unfortunately.

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I'd like to know too...

6. drbob1

drbob1 Supporting Member

I thought folks would be all over this. I've owned 2 originals and two of Analogman's recreations and they sound VERY similar. The originals tend to be a bit noisier due to aging components but otherwise, blindfolded, I couldn't tell the difference. At the moment I believe the originals to be cheaper than the clones!

7. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Hi Bob

Just to clarify, the OP means the original late 70s? Small Clone, not the one they have been making for the last 10-15 years?

Was year was your small clone?

8. vanguard

vanguard Member

i've had them both. the RI actually sounds very good, and is close. the original was a bit quieter, and it had an overall fatness to the tone the RI didn't quite nail. they are very close though.

9. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

Does anybody know a good way to distinguish between the old ones and the reproductions?

10. SonicVI

From the outside the easiest way to tell the difference is the LED. The Small Clone was one of few original EH pedals that have a status LED. The originals have a 3mm clear LED and the reissues have a 5mm red LED. Also, some originals say "mini-chorus" rather than "full-chorus" which all of the reissues say.

11. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

Whats the deal with the mini chorus and full chorus thing?

12. noexitrecords

noexitrecords Member

I have both an original Small Clone and an Analogman Clone Chorus. To my ears, the Small Clone is quite a bit deeper and/or fuller. The Analogman is cleaner. I prefer the Small Clone. I have never played or heard one of the EH reissues, so I have no idea how they compare.

13. SonicVI

Dunno. I've had both and they were exactly the same inside. Maybe DOD or someone, who already had a "mini-chorus", asked them to change it. Or maybe they thought if something is mini it's not as good as something that's full? Or maybe they realized that thier "mini" chorus was larger than most of the other full featured chorus pedals on that market in 1981?

14. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

I am paying $150 for an original, is that a bad price?

15. fernieite

fernieite Member

I'd say $150 is pretty good. I've got an original vintage Small Clone mini chorus that I like a lot. Sorry, never tried a reissue.

16. Kenno5050

Kenno5050 Member

Are the original polychoruses good?

17. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

bought a used ri small clone today for $45.00. it is slightly noisy compared to my AM bichorus. the AM is definitely cleaner and more defined. AND deeper. for 45 bucks the small clone is an awesome deal. i love this thing.

18. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Senior Member

the big box clone theory i hoped was gonna be real good. I heard good thing but was disappointed. Maybe the one with the topp switch for cho/vib/flng is better than the first original run that didn't have the flange mode

19. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

The RI is fantastic. Sounds a little less complex than I recall my Analogman mini sounding but it was $200 less expensive..

20. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

Exactly