Original Trainwreck Express, 1959 Gibson Les Paul, more...

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by Geetarpicker, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

7 videos on Youtube with an original '89 Trainwreck Express, '08 Fender Relic Strat, '92 Callaham Strat, and original '59 Gibson Les Paul. This one has been played the most: http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenKuykendall#p/u/15/Y2_12Ler9B8

Three of these videos have full band backing playing tunes from my "Can You Hear It Ring?" CD. The others are raw free form demos. Audio ranges from ugly camcorder mic to pro studio recording gear.

All of these are straight guitar>amp>cab with NO pedals.

Here is a clip to the newest video done in May 2008, and the others can be found from there. More audio clips & pics are on my "myspace" page along with info on my CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3VhCRFoFYk

Enjoy,
    Glen Kuykendall
    www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. stuagu

stuagu Member

its all good stuff glen,
    what i find i like the most about the clips & your playing is obviously the tone which is great, one of the best & i just wonder what that set up sounds like in person?.
    your style isnt the type of guitaring id normally go for but its very tasteful, but the control you have over your instrument/amp is fantastic, you know the set up so well & that comes out in the clips.
    best wishes from this side of the pond.
    gu

3. scruffydoo

scruffydoo Member

enjoyed that a lot, thanks for posting

4. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Great tone bro! Choppage was kicking too!

5. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome Silver Supporting Member

Excellent. Great feel, great tone. I really dig these clips.

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Supporting Member

Hey Glen,
    Thanks for posting those. Which do you feel captures the TW vibe the best?

7. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

I like it how Glen uses technique to bring out the different sounds -- strumming closer to and even over the neck, adjusting volume, picking at different locations, etc. Good stuff.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Member

Another awesome vid, Glen. Man, you just make that amp scream!

Mike

9. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

By the way the main cabinet I use with this amp has old 25 watt G12Ms in it. The amp is loud but not as loud as say a JTM45 but close. I always wear earplugs when I play the amp. I also have all my guitar pickups potted, so that I can get REALLY close to the cab for sustain. My amp settings are usually volume and treble on 12:00 to 1:00, and all the other knobs on 1/2. The bright switch is in the full bright position.

Thanks folks for checking out the videos!

GK

10. tejastubes

tejastubes Supporting Member

PM sent

11. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Awesome playing and sound!

12. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Supporting Member

Great tone, great playing! Do you ever use pedals with the TeeWee?

Thanks again,
    Steve

13. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I never use pedals with the amp with stock tubes, and there are no pedals in any of my clips/videos and none on my "Can You Hear It Ring?" CD either. These days there's probably not many instrumental guitar CDs that have no pedals, though I didn't intentionally plan it that way.

Still, I'm not a NO pedal snob and actually have a nice pedal board that I use with other amp rigs quite often.

For the most part many pedals get in the way of doing what the Trainwreck Express amp does best IMHO. That said many folks have good luck with wahs, chorus and other pedals IF they are true bypass and you don't mind quite a bit more noise than you might expect when you click them in. These amps are quite high gain, and with just about any amp the higher the gain the more pedals can sometimes wash out. With these amps you really never need any sort of gain pedal, as the amp's beautiful gain on it's own is truly not worth missing and quite ample.

Sometimes I will run a wet/dry rig with some Lexicon rack units, power amp, and separate effects speaker to get effects with my Trainwreck done totally "post" amplifier. This does sound awesome.

However if I swap out the 1st two 12AX7s for 12AY7s the gain is reduced to the point that it works well with pedals and my wireless. Still, it's not the same amp at that point at all but still cool. With the Y7 tube trick I've done country gigs with the amp, mostly clean playing at that.

There are quite a few folks that do run pedals with their Wrecks, I just don't like the degradation I can always detect on the basic tone. Still, a true bypass pedal wired correctly can usually get around the problem of any tonal compromises when clicked off.

I guess I'm too fixated on working the guitar knobs with my Express to step on pedals anyway!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  14. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Actually there are no pedals used on my CD for distortion although it is only about 50% instrumental. I prefer the amp distortion as well although some of the greatest guitar solos of all times have been done with pedals.

I haven't had the chance to play through an original Wreck although I have played through a very accurate clone recently. My Bassman was recently modded with the Wreck circuit and I plan to do a clip of it. They are really cool sounding amps and Glen has really provided us with some great clips (and original music.)

15. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Great, great stuff. I really liked the composition of "The Clipper" and the tone was just fantastic. Then I waded into the clips of you in the corner with the wreck and '59... Holy smokes... it doesn't get more simple, organic and sweeter than that! Really cool that you posted studio quality AND lower-fi clips for us to enjoy. Too bad I could never afford any of that gear :rolleyes:
    But, fun listening!
    :BEER

17. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Heck I couldn't afford this gear these days either! I try to not think about it and just enjoy it. When I got LP it was $3725 and the amp was $850 but that all seemed darned expensive at the time...

Thank you listening and for your comments!

GK

18. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Hi Geetarpicker
    Love your cd !

That being said how about putting a twist on the Trainwreck mystique by recording some clips with pedals, normal cables and speakers not usually associated with Wrecks.
    Push the envelope as it were with some straight jazz, ripping fusion and trad country tracks with everyday guitars and such.

Thanks

19. CALI68

CALI68 Supporting Member

Unreal! The holiest of holy grails in both categories. '59 Les Paul and a Trainwreck. Wow.

Amazing.

-Chris

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Senior Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Always love your stuff Glen

I'd love to hear you lose control one day and just goo way out over the edge without a net.

You got any tracks that puts you in that kind of light?