Patch cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ColeW, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ColeW

ColeW Member

I'm sure there is stuff about this all over the place but what do you guys think? Lava or George L's?

2. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Lava Tightrope or Evidence SIS for the win (if you are only considering solderless).

3. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

I switched to Lava Ultramafics from Lava Mini ELC. I was actually quite shocked at how much clearer my signal was. I've used George L's in the past but to be honest, I didn't like the way they looked. (Shallow alert!)

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

what about for premade soldered cables? the fulltones are gigantic.

5. Dan C

Dan C Member

I was saving for Evidence Audio SIS cable and plugs but now the Lava Tightrope Kit has come out I'm gonna go for that.

6. ju5t1n20

ju5t1n20 Member

I use Lava Soldered Kits and couldnt be happer for my PT2 setup. Eventually I am going to get Jnepo to do a board build for me, so right now the Lava is serving its purpose.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If you are looking for solderless plugs, the SIS by Evidence Audio is the best in the business.

8. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

The man who posted above me IS your answer. Not his post, but him himself. Email him. Soldered cables at an awesome price.

9. natejens

natejens Supporting Member

I've just purchased a couple of Lava Ultramafic kits and working on putting them together and will chime in when they are done. Besides that jnepo1 as many have said makes quality cables at a price you can't beat.

10. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I have Lava Mini ELC and like them much better than George L's. Might consider EA SiS in the future, but would probably stick with Lava Tightrope.

11. dmar490

dmar490 Supporting Member

George L's if you're looking for cables that are easy to make. With Lavas, I had to remake and even reorder more cable after some shorted out right after I made them. I'm sticking with Lava for now though because of the size of plugs (I squeeze my pedals into my board), and they don't sound as thin as George L's (using a combo of Ultramafic and Mini ELCs). They seem to be more reliable in the long run than George L's, but I probably haven't had them long enough to tell for sure yet. Keep an eye on Lava's Twitter and Facebook, because they sometimes offer coupons.

12. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

Pancakes + Mogami + DIY is my recipe.

13. dbun

dbun Member

Lava Soldered

14. crambone

crambone Member

Trust not in George L's, for they will fail you.

15. jazzphan89

jazzphan89 Supporting Member

I agree entirely. I have some Lava mini ELC and they're good but I much prefer this method.

16. Mikal69

Mikal69 Member

had the same experiences as alot, George L's constantly failed, ever since i switched to Lava, never had one fail, and they sound "bigger".

17. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Evidence Monorail + GLS pancakes.....

18. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

I'm just using Fender patch cables and yorkville ones... first off none of my yorkville patch or instrument cables have ever died on me and I have one from the early 2000s I still use regularly. The fenders on the other hand are not so good, I just had one die on me the other day.... just over a year old too

19. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

yeah, but what size do they sound? lava allegedly sound large in size.

20. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

LOL

No clue how they SOUND cause personally I don't think they have a sound they are cables... I'm one of those people that puts no effort into trying different patch cables, I just want something that lasts and won't break on me.

What plectrum you use will have bigger impact on your sound then what patch cables you use IMO

FWIW Stevie Ray Vaughan (who I'm not really a fan of but had a pretty good sound) used radio shack cables.