Pedal switching systems: Cusack PBTamer vs. Musicom Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jccpraznman, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jccpraznman

jccpraznman Supporting Member

Hey guys, I front my band while carrying most of, if not all of the electric responsibility at the moment.

I had an Octaswitch setup a while back and decided to scale back, but now I'm looking to go back to some sort of switching system.

So here is my dilemma, as many lead guitarist/vocalists have said before, I want these pedals on at this time at this tempo but I don't want to stomp 8 times while I'm singing or transitioning into another song. I want to stomp once, get the desired pedal combination, and go back to playing/fronting the band.

I have a friend that has a PBT and he loves it.

I've been doing some research and the Musicom looks amazing but it is pretty expensive.

Has anyone used both of these. Looking to see what people have to say. Seems like your get more possibilites with the Musicom, but more flexibility to switch on the fly with the PBT, going from preset mode to mechanical mode.

Just wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.

Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance Silver Supporting Member

The musicom does mid as welli, so if you don't need that, then the PBT will be fine.

3. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Try a G-Lab GSC -3
    Rene

4. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Supporting Member

With the Musicom, you can use it in manual/mechanical mode, but you only have 4 loops available at a time. (You have to hit BANK UP or BANK DOWN to alternately access 1-4 and 5-8. It is doable, but it is not as streamlined as the PBT.)

5. jccpraznman

What do you guys think is best "bang" for your buck?

6. jccpraznman

I think I'm going to go with the musiccom, looks like it will best suit my needs. Thanks for your input gentlemen.

7. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I ordered this a couple of weeks ago:
    http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_69&product_id=66
    [​IMG]

Programmable 8 loops. All individual switches can run in Preset mode or Loop mode.
    Paid for it but haven't got it in yet. But will review it once I get it.

Standard version is like $215 + shipping from UK.
    Mine cost me about $350 or something with upgrades: 2 leds for each switch, black color, extra send and return, etc...

8. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

Shoulda gone PBT bro......

9. jccpraznman

Well I haven't gotten anything yet, but The real motivation for the MUSICOMLab is the midi control for the timeline...but I'm thinking about possibly just going back to the dd20 and getting a memory lane and a cap for analog and tape stuff

The PBT is cheaper....

decisions decisions...

10. daz

daz Member

you didn't! This guy is a bozo. I bought a looper from them awhile back and his workmanship was so shoddy. Jacks drilled crooked; internal true bypass wiring was not done properly; parts were held together by electrical tape; and he left his fingerprints embedded in dried superglue when he glued the leds to the enclosure. He did have the decency to give me a partial refund. Never again!

11. tanee

tanee Supporting Member

I actually wish there were more programable loopers that looked like this. Most programable loopers look like garbage.

12. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Gah! I wish I knew this...hopefully he's gotten better...

13. jccpraznman

Ok I'm breathing life back into this thread.

I'm still looking.

I feel like the musicom has the upper hand because of presets and midi. I have a timeline, so being able to switch to an exact bank a/b with one switch plus other desired effects, sounds amazing to me.

However, does it lock you in and limit your freedom to what you can do with your sounds? I would only need about 5 or 6 sounds for worship/church stuff, and then band stuff is all going to be presets anyways.

Does the mechanical mode on the PBT make it more practical for on the fly stuff? I don't feel like there is a lot of buzz about the Musicomlab (possibly bc its so stinkin expensive), and the pbt has positive reviews, but would seem to only get me those 6 or 9 sounds, as opposed to banks of presets.

I'm really trying to find what setups guys use, that lead with electric and how they haven't compromised they're tones and playing, but also finding ways to make leading a lot easier.

14. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Member

I LOVE my Musicom because of it's small footprint and ability to use MIDI. The only downside is the price- but once you grab one, it becomes the heart of your board. I honestly don't think you'll regret biting the bullet and grabbing one, because it opens up a lot of possibilities. With that said, I'm sure there are other viable options as well.

15. jccpraznman

Here is what I have:

EB VP > Tu2 > pulp n peel > WA Voyager > Fulltone Full drive 2 > Xotic EP booster > MicroPog > Strymon Timeline > DMB TT > Bluesky

16. Slidepiece

Slidepiece Member

I really cannot be happier with my Musicomlab. It's definitely expensive but well worth it if you want an excellent switching system. I've been searching for something like this for a long, long time. Always hated to tap dance especially while singing.

I sing and play all guitar parts in my band so I needed something to help me easily switch between rhythm sounds and lead sounds with delay etc. I have used this setup with a Timefactor, Modfactor and more recently the Timeline. I set it up so that each song has a preset so the only thing I need to do is sing, play and step on a button. Just worry about up to four different sections in a song. Intro, Verse, Chorus and Solo...boom.

[​IMG]

When I'm with my band and we are working on new music I tend to take it out of preset mode and just select the pedals I need at the moment. Use the instant access mode or edit mode and it's easy enough to create new presets quickly. You could also setup a few generic patches to work with and tweak midi pedals on the fly if need be.

Ultimately, this is a fantastic switcher. If your band plays to a click and every song has a different bpm, there is really nothing better than just stepping on one switch for the pedals, amp channels and midi effects. Go for it!

17. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Member

Exactly- I sing harmony on almost every song and love having all my stuff in presets.

18. joshuathomasmurty

joshuathomasmurty Supporting Member

Check out the Gigrig stuff. It seems like it would be perfect for what you need. Flexibility + presets and midi.

19. jccpraznman

Thanks gents. I think I'm set on picking one up. I'm trying to wait and find one used.

It looks like they keep they're value, and rarely come up for sale.

Might be a while ha.

20. Slidepiece

Slidepiece Member

I ended up doing the same thing. Keep checking the emporium and ebay, one is bound to show up. Good luck!