Pedalboards of the Pros

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gandolf203, Nov 5, 2010.

1. gandolf203

gandolf203 Member

2. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Fun article!

It is surprising how many pros use fairly common pedals. I imagine the pedal boards of many TGPers would put the pros to shame! Still, the pros are out there playing professionally, and I am playing in my bedroom... :bonk

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Member

Just saw this too. And yes, it loads real slow. I find it hard to believe it's on the user's end considering even heavily populated and traffic'ed sites such as TGP are loading 3x faster.

4. nh4589

nh4589 Member

Love the PICS..... nice to see what the pros are jamming on.

5. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

I'm almost embarrassed for gassing after so many expensive boutique pedals after looking at their boards..

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

me too

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

its not surprising at all. most pro's have at least one or two BOSS pedals on their board but try talking them up on an internet forum!

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

These are just what's on their boards-no telling what they have at home. Some of them have definitely been checking out the boutique stuff-Ian Moore is one. Really, most of these guys' rigs will sound great with whatever pedal because they can really crank their amps.

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Silver Supporting Member

^ this for sure. i started swearing by the metal zone, but than i realized that i was playing with a cranked bassman. taking it down thinned out the pedal a bit. if you can crank an amp you can get fantastic tone out of a slightly pushed STOCK TS9 or SD1 or BD2. but at lower volumes you need a little something more. another reason why the fulldrive 2 is such an awesome pedal, through a gig volumed amp it just SINGS!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  10. idk

idk Member

anyone else find it interesting that there are no Korg Pitchblacks on any of em?

if anyone asks what they need to get, tell em look at this article and see what all of them have in common.

11. Mr Tickle

Mr Tickle Supporting Member

there actually is one on James Valentine's of Maroon 5. #18. that's the only one i saw, though.

12. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

What I find the most interesting is that John Mayers aqua puss settings is identical to brad paisleys aqua puss settings. I too now use those settings and its the perfect slap back.

13. swla

swla Member

And no Turbo Tuners either.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The very first one I looked at had one... Tim Reynold of DMB.

15. TomOliver

TomOliver Member

Nope. That's a pitchblack for a tuner. The upper right hand corner isn't a turbo tuner.

16. Joe Silence

Joe Silence Member

the key here, with a few exceptions, seems to be "if it breaks/gets lost/gets stolen, can i go get another at a store while on the road?".

unless you've got a tour like a military campaign (Pink Floyd, Metallica, Rush, Muse, etc.), it makes total sense.

besides, by the time your sound gets through the PA, most of the subtlety is lost.
    save the fancy stuff for your recordings.

17. mlweidl

mlweidl Member

this tears me apart that i have way more money in my pedalboard than the majority yet they all sound better. Im not saying pedals make you sound or play better but i need to spend WAY more time playing

18. stingrey1978

stingrey1978 Supporting Member

I am so ashamed of Ian Moore playing with Jason Mraz. I've seen Ian so many times he's been a hero of mine since before high school and ugh its like almost as bad as Nuno playing with rhianna

19. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Lotsa Tube Screamers being used for all kinds of music. Interesting also to see how those folks don't seem to fetishize their boards -- they're just practical tools for making music. Thanks for the link!

20. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

Most of those guys have more than one pedalboard though. Some of us have big pedalboards simply because we have to cover a variety of tones and could be asked to go from a country sound, to the edge, to classic rock all in one set.
    Some of those were on the experience Hendrix tour. If I put a board together for that it would be 2 fuzzes an octavia and a wah.
    I noticed quite a few of the new hw TS. Also wonder what's modded.