Pedals and Roland JC 120

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Plowdoggy, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Anyone else here like running their pedals through a Roland JC120? I know it's heresy to some. But I use a clean channel with the volume set at three, with just a hint of drive. Then running my Lollar special Strat through a Klon and an Xotic RC Booster and luving it. These things are loud!! In my small studio I could easily break a window. But, it appears that solid state (at least on this model) allows my pedals and their respective abilites to function nicely at a reduced volume. Lots of sculpted possibilities.

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

JC-120 fills up a room SO nicely. It would be interesting to read what pedals are working for people.

One pedal I do NOT recommend is a Turbo Rat.

3. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Funny this thread should pop at at this point. I was going to sell my 80's JC-120 because it was sitting there collecting dust. I decided to pull it out to take a few photos and make sure everything was working before I sent it on it's way. I plugged my pedalboard into it for kicks and cranked it up. I was floored by the tone!! It really took the overdrives(COT,Carb,Mojo and Klon) like a champ. All of the subleties of the individual pedals and guitars came on through,plus the chorus is the best there is....:) It's not a tube amp by any means but and incredible simulation.:crazy

4. NHC

NHC Member

I use a JC 60 for home use,and normally request for JC120's for gigs as I find them to be very pedal friendly.

I use alot of cleans and this is great for it, and with my OD pedals, it is superb.

oh yeah, the reverb is nice too imho

5. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Great amp for pedals! I couldn't believe how well they took them, even stacking overdrivs. And that chorus...

I would never doubt a jazz chorus w/ pedals! Nice amp you have there!

6. Mr. Mandolin

Mr. Mandolin Member

7. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Oh yes stage standard once upon a time.
    Hm, well for those I got myself a BOSS DS-1- and set that Tone 9oc,Dist12oc and volume to slight boost actually sounde really good, but tonecontrols on the amp had to be set treble zero, middle zero and bass full, bright OFF..
    But sure clean sound was bordering on sterile but pulled through allright and with a stock DS-1.....

Hm, other pedals though......???? but then certain things go together well :munch

Have fun
    BJ

Affiliations
    www.mpamp.com
    www.bjfelectronics.com

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Member

I'm not calling into question the Roland JC or how well it takes pedals.
    But, am I right that, as a solid state clean amp, it is amplifying the sound of the pedal, rather than having its input stage (and phase inverter, power tubes, and tune rectifier) interact with the pedal for a "new" sound? It's like a PA for the sound of the pedal? Is that fair? If so, it'll have a decisive influence on your pedal choices.

9. SammyInnit

SammyInnit Member

DeMarco looks like a tool in all the demos he's in, but you can't deny, he is a pretty good player.

The Midi Synth demo sounded great too.

10. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

True Slopeshoulder. Maybe that's what is impressing me. By eliminating other influences, I'm hearing the pure pedal (s). The sonic permutations are infinite, given all the choices of amps out there. The Roland was a pleasant surprised when compared against some of my other amps. I use the Roland mainly as a keyboard amp and sometimes for drums. I have a Two Rock Custom Sig, 65 Deluxe reverb, and a 53 Tweed Pro amoung others. These amps IMHO have so much personallity built in to them that are good to go with very little added. The JC, on the other hand is so clean that it almost begs for some added spices.

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

All effects pedals go great with the JC120 ...
    However the OD's it will take are particular ... A compressor really helps in this case

I'm having great success right now with the Jetter Gain Stage Red for low gain..
    and the Fuch's Valve Job works incredibly well with the JC120 cleanliness...

Will have a series of Youtubes coming up soon using this combination live ...

12. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Silver Supporting Member

13. markom89

markom89 Member

I used a JC55 (is it called that?) and JC120 alot at my old bands practices... GREAT amps, IMO- some of the nicest cleans out there, and take pedals like it's no one's bidness!

14. sandman

sandman Member

some famous people managed to get cool sounds out of them...I tried a few and no thanks...especially not for dirt pedals...are all of them the same or did they change the circuit or whatever? those that I tried...

clean, loud, 2x12 and GREAT equals Fender Twin.

Plowdoggy, glad it works for ya!

15. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i have used one a few times. once it was the only amp at the venue and i sounded great great overdrive tone, great cleans and always sounded great no matter what style i played. I used it for a jazz pactice and sounded great. Also i have played rock through it. again sounded sweet. *goes off to ebay to search for one*

Aj

16. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I have a JC77 and it loves my Ethos and Zen 2.

17. highfive!

highfive! Member

Years ago I gigged exclusively with only a 80's JC120, an old Rat and a Crybaby. And if I had a nickel for every tube guy that complimented my tone... well, I could probably afford that Honey Bee.

18. jstone

jstone Member

I had a JC-120 but really the JC-160. I have always kept them in an AB box and used them only with a compressor in front to make that way huge sweet clean tone.

Other boxes that I have used is the original rat and that worked fin with the dist set at no higher than 9'o'clock.
    The The OD-1 was a nice unit as well.

Boxxes I 've never got to work with the JC's are DS-1, TS, SD.. But that could be only me always having a second amp for more Rock Style sounding stuff.

I have not owned a JC for years but still would like to have a JC-160. If not for anything else than sitting playing in front of the TV :)

19. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Tube based effects like the Radial pedals, or pedals with tube characteristics work best.
    I have used a Trimode, OCD, 69 and the Crunch Box thru a JC120 with great results. I don't own the amp but have used when sitting in for a friend. A TS9 and DS1 sound a little too sterile or 80's pop like for me.
    Of course eq on the amp, pedal, and the use of the onboard chorus can effect the sound too.
    Real bullet proof amp. I am thinking of getting the JC77 if I can find one cheap.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

True ... the new Fuchs Valve Job with tube sounds incredible through the Roland ...
    (and it's such a small footprint for a tube pedal)

However, the Jetter Gain Stage Red also sounds very good in front of it too..
    (as I'm sure all the Jetter's would most likely ...)