Peter Green..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jul 4, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

So much is made of Peter's GM Les Paul and that famous reverse neck Humbucker.............but what about that other crucial chain in his tone magic recipe? What kind of an amp did Peter Use? I'm assuming a Marshall but I really don't have a clue...........Anybody have particulairs? Combo or Head & bottom, speakers, wattage......etc.?

2. jockman

jockman Member

I am pretty sure Peter used Orange/Matamp in his early days.

3. jjguitarranch

jjguitarranch Member

There is a guy in NJ that owns one of Greens Orange heads. Beside the Orange amps I think he used Fender amps.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

He used a JTM45 for most of the early stuff. I saw him in the studio for the "Albertross" sessions and they were using Orange (or seemed to be).

When they toured overseas (outside the UK) they tended to rent stuff, hence Fender (and anything else, really).

Best, Pete.

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Senior Member

Marshall with the bluesbreakers and Fender Bandmasters with the Mac. They did use Orange for a bit but Peter himself said they didn't really care for them.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

The Orange thing was a deal they did. He liked the Reverb unit, though.

I never saw them/him with a Fender Bandmaster - but they did rent a lot on tour as I said and I certainly never saw every gig! As for them piling into the back of a Ford Transit in England his trusty JTM45 would (usually) do the trick.
    Where did you see him with the Fender?

Best, Pete.

7. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I've also seen a few pics w/ a Showman or two.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I bow to everyone else's expertise - afterall I was only working with Mike Vernon at the time.

Best, Pete.

9. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mark Williams

Mark Williams DripDryHandsome Gold Supporting Member

I've heard that a Fenton-Weil amp was described as Peter Green's "favorite" amp, but I don't know how true that is.

11. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That must be the set up he used on shrine becuase I'm hearing Marshall JTM45 on those recordings..........some good info here, thanks! Its amazing how much is made of Peters reverse PUP but no one really knows for sure what kind of amps he preferred.........

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

How do the Orange reissues match up to the oringinals? Never played one...........any thoughts, opinions ?

15. peacock72

peacock72 Guest

:eek: How cool! I've heard Mr. Green used one of the first Matamp/Orange Amps ever made on Albatross. A low wattage combo along with a Matamp Reverb Unit.

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

From the control room (and I didn't see set up - plus I was only there for an hour) I saw the big Orange heads only.
    You know Pink Strat has interrogated me about whether I saw a Strat there and I can only say that I seem to recall a 'burst Strat laying on the floor BUT my memory may be playing tricks on me....

Thanks for the photos guys, really nice, as usual. I think the Orange Reverb unit is the smaller box on top of the Orange amp behind Pete's head in Mark's pic.

Best, Pete.

17. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There are some clips over at OrangeAmps.com in the disucssion forums that compare some of the reissues directly. Some of the '90s ORs seem quite similar tone-wise. The newer Oranges, however, aren't reissues of the older models. It's an all new line up, and it's quite impressive tonally. The new ones seem to share a little of the "Orange sound" but not a great deal.

My suggestion--if one is attempting to sound like Peter Green, get a decent humbucker guitar and a decent Fender or Marshall amp (or Orange/whatever if that's what you prefer) and do some woodshedding with his recordings. You'll not sound like him no matter what you're playing through if you don't really learn to think the way he did. But if sounding like him is not your goal......nevermind :p .

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Leon,
    I find it really annoying that whatever I do, whatever I play through I always end up sounding like ME!

Oops, heresy for this place!

Seriously, I sound better or worse tonewise but it's still me - I can't morph into Hendrix like you can.......

Best, Pete.

19. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

So Many Roads is right up there witht my favorite tones of all time. (Clapton's Blues Breakers and Haynes An Evening With the Allmans). I unfortunatey have the same problem Pete. I always sound like myself wich is not necessarily a good thing.

cmn

20. Nigel

Nigel Guest

I have to say, that is so-o-o-o-o very cool. To have been there witnessing the creation of some of the finest music ever recorded is a special thing. I wish I could have been there, or on stage as the Allmans were recording Fillmore East, or at Miles' Kind of Blue sessions. Oh well, at least I got to see the Runaways live. :rolleyes: :D