Pic of Kevin Eubanks pedal board and THD Hot Plate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottl, Jan 25, 2007.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

My point is that in my opinion it's in reality NOT hard to put in the time to become great. It's a lot more relaxing than being in a gear rat-race, even though we all seem to forget that. This is all of course in my opinion. But it seems my communication skills are lacking so.... we'll call it a stalemate.

2. brad347

brad347 Member

How much do people get stressed out over ebay auctions, craigslist hunts, deciding what to get and what to sell, etc...

Buying and selling gear to get "just the thing" and being micro-managing and perfectionistic about it is about as stressful as any corporate job I can imagine.

ON the other hand... to become great one needs to practice and play guitar. A lot. And that's it.

I know which one sounds easier to ME.

Of course, the psychology of "greatness" and the deification of our heroes tricks us into believing that there is somethign supernatural about them. And with some of them there may indeed be. And some of us like the idea of playing guitar more than we like actually playing guitar, so practicing feels like "work" to accomplish an "end" rather than an act of love in itself.

EDIT:

Just to be clear, please don't think that I'm purporting to be "better" or excluding myself from the above. I do it just as much as anyone probably... BUT I personally (for myself) view it as a neurosis rather than an "easy-way out."

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've heard some great tones from Kevin Eubanks on the Tonight Show. I always wondered what he was using for his saturated lead sound, as I didn't think the Blue Angel was doing that on its own. Interesting to see it is a RAT, as that is one of my favorite higher gain pedals.

Bryan

4. Dajbro

Dajbro Supporting Member

I love his tone, clean and otherwise, on Dave Holland's Extensions album as well as on a Steve Coleman disc whose name escapes me at the moment. Great player and I always know that it's him.

David

5. jzucker

jzucker Silver Supporting Member

Agreed! That Holland CD is amazing.

6. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I think the sound on Leno and Letterman are both pretty weak in comparison to Conan. Conan's band smokes too but the quality of audio on Conan's show destroys the other late night shows.

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Supporting Member

Flammable post: Um yea his tone sucks, his playing is blah, but he has the job any of us would take in a sec...at least I would.

8. jzucker

His playing is not blah. He's one of the most gifted improvisers on the scene. He's one of the few fusion/jazz guitarists that can hang with McLaughlin or Benson.

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

I'm not a fan.

Gimme Jimmy V and the Weinberg Seven any day

10. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Supporting Member

Hi jzucker! Nice to see ya.

I actually agree with you. I was saying all that in jest. I figured I'd get flamed for being sarcastic. He's def a player. Dude's got one of the best jobs on the planet too. I think he's great, and I actually do like his tone! :)

btw - I still dig that dynaverb you sold me. :AOK

11. jzucker

What recordings have you heard?

12. Zero

Zero Member

I hate his distorted sound. I usually set my Rat's filter knob the same exact spot he uses, because the Rat is opposite most tone controls. at that setting it is more "muffled" where at say 9:00 it would be very bright. the problem is setting the dist. knob that high, it gets very fuzzy. i can only set it to 10:00 max. for my tastes.

13. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

That should be the operative phrase for the entire thread.

And I'm not picking on Zero here, just a general comment: Drawing blanket conclusions based on a few pedals sitting on the floor and knob settings (fer cryin' out loud) from a photograph is pretty ridiculous IMO. Sit in the room, or better yet the audio production room and hear the whole package - player, signal chain, amp, speaker, band mix, etc etc, then draw your conclusions.

14. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I was at the show last week. His tone was good. His playing even better. Those who don't respect his playing just don't know. Forget the TV show, that's just a fat money gig. Check out his records, particularly World Trio with Dave Holland and Mino Cinelu.

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Yeah,
    No one knows how well Kevin plays, because he saves it for his own CD's.
    I wish he'd do some fusion stuff every once in awhile on the show.
    That wouldnt hurt anybody, would it?

S.
    j

17. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

When you love to play, playing isn't hard . . . even the practice . . .tis all good, even the perfecting arpegios with cross-picking and etc etc . . .

point well made

18. radcliff

radcliff Member

Everything I've ever heard of him on Leno I haven't liked, compared to everything I've heard on Conan from Vivino, which always has a great tasteful tone.

I agree with the opinion that his tone has a sock over it, and for my tastes, it's too muddy and distorted.

He may be a great player outside of latenight, I'm sure he is. But if I'm going to listen to guitar fusion I'll put on McLaughlin, Metheny, Stern, Scofield, Beck, Henderson, etc.

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

It says he hasn't logged onto TGP yet.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Interesting... "for my tastes"...
    Vivino, though an excellent player, is more of a musical historian...
    One can even say he's playing is totally predictable...
    Sorry, but can't help but to admit that approach is extremely boring in my book...

Never get tired of Eubanks' playing,
    & am just thrilled with the fact that someone as hip as that,
    gets to blow every night on TV in front of millions of folk..

Everytime I hear Eubanks go for it, I jump up & down for joy!
    Provides one with more faith in humanity!:)