POD HD 2.0 Annouced! New Goodies

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BlackDiamond, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

I just saw this! Real nice: 2 New GUitar amp Plexi Lead and Plexi Lead bight, one bass Amp with 8 new MIcs, I new MIC pre, this is nice:
    http://line6.com/news/general/1200

Coming soon! The free v2.0 firmware update dramatically expands the sonic palette of all POD® HD multi-effect processors, and enhances integration with the James Tyler® Variax® and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig.

For all POD HD multi-effects, the update includes two brand-new HD guitar models, the world’s first HD bass model (with eight incredible mic model choices!) and a new vintage-voiced mic preamp model:
    • “Flip Top” HD Bass Amp Model. Introducing the world’s very first HD bass amp model based on* the immortal Ampeg® B-15NF Portaflex®, one of the most popular studio bass amps of all time. The modeled cab features the original 15-inch speaker perfect for laying down some serious thump.
    • Eight New Mic Choices for the HD Bass Amp Model. Get your ideal bass tone from the new “Flip Top” HD bass model with eight mic choices based on*
      • Shure® SM57
      • Sennheiser® 421
      • AKG® D12
      • AKG® D112
      • EV® RE20
      • Shure® SM7B
      • Heil® PR40
      • Neumann® U47
    • “Plexi Lead NRM” and “Plexi Lead BRT” HD Guitar Amp Models. Stunning new HD guitar amp models based on* the Normal and Bright inputs of the legendary Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead 100-watt head. Plug into the classic cascading crunch of this historic English head!
    • “Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model. A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based on* the Requisite® Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give incredible warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. Its controls include:
      • Gain
      • HPF (High Pass Filter)
      • LPF (Low Pass Filter)
      • Phase
      • Output
    The update also includes a variety of new features and enhancements that make a POD HD500 or POD HD Pro, James Tyler Variax, and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig even more powerful and easy to use. The result is complete analog and digital reconfiguration of guitar models, effects, HD amplifier models and analog tube topology with the press of a single footswitch.
    • Variax Knobs as Controllers. Variax Tone and Volume knobs can act like expression pedals, controlling different aspects of your tone such as delay time, amp drive or anything else you want. Controllers are capable of driving up to 50+ POD HD parameters simultaneously, making it possible to morph between sounds with a single guitar knob.
    • Variax Toggle Switch Behavior (Local Control). To provide smooth, intuitive transitions between the modeled and magnetic pickups, you can choose whether the Volume, Tone and Pickup Selector switch will control both the model and magnetic pickups simultaneously, or lock the model and only affect the magnetic pickups. For example, when switching between acoustic and electric tones, you can lock the acoustic model controls so that tweaking knobs and switching pickups when playing the electric sound won’t affect the sound of the acoustic when you switch back.
    • Variax Control Mode (Global/Preset). Choose whether you want to assign Variax guitar models and Local Control settings globally, or on a per-preset basis. Alternately, you can get complete manual control by choosing not to control Variax settings with POD presets.
    • New Input Selections. The new input selections — “Variax” and “Variax Mags” — allow you to assign any configuration of magnetic pickups and Variax models per POD HD preset. The new “Variax” input selection also recalls whether you were using mags or models per preset, allowing you to pick up exactly where you left off – no need for manual selection or input changes.
    • POD HD/Variax Custom Tuning Creation. Now you can create custom Variax tunings for any or all of your POD HD presets. Save and recall them per preset — and get up to 512 unique custom guitar tunings with instant footswitch control.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. mosaic

mosaic Supporting Member

Good to see that they are moving forward and adding new stuff. Line 6 is good like that. Can't wait to try it.

3. celticelk

celticelk Member

Just in time for the HD 500 that was delivered to my house this morning!

4. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

Well, um not quite in time for your HD 500 since it was just the announcement today... I guess in a couple days we'll see the new "why isn't HD 2.0 out yet???" threa. It is a pretty fantastic update though, I am really thrilled with the quality of updates for the HD500. I was satisfied with the original product so seeing an update like this is just icing on the already delicious cake.

5. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I was wondering if a new update was going to be announced today as well.. Sweet.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I was about to put mine up for sale but I may as well wait until the new firmware is released. Maybe the third time will be a charm for getting a great Marshall sound out of the HD.

The bass amp is a nice addition altho i would argue that the SVT is THE classic studio bass amp not the older portaflex. Seems like an odd choice to me. Then again every bass modeler offers the SVT. Then again there's probably a good reason for that.

7. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Line 6 has done enough with the HD so far for me to keep it for the long run. I think this shows a plan of some continuous updates for the product.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Thats what we all thought about the M series too

9. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

I agree...this would seem to be the case.

Hard to imagine them releasing one bass amp model and then calling it quits.

I'm thrilled with the HD500 as-is. I find new sounds and textures and surprises nearly every time I fire it up.

10. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

aww yea! bass amp! and vocal pre (should be good on acoustic too, eh?) and....SWEET NEW VARIAX FEATURES! I totally love the update!

11. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

seriously, for those who don't bother clicking on the article link, you can now use variax knobs (volume or tone) as expression pedals, set to morph between two sounds (up to 50 paramaters each), a few input type things (that mostly existed in some form before)

and NOW...you can save alternate tunings on a per preset basis. so great.

if only i could get the neck to play the way i need it to...

12. danel59

danel59 Member

For bassists I am sure the SVT would be a better choice, but I remember years
    ago when I taught guitar we had an old portaflex that sounded good for guitar especially for a clean warm tone for jazz comping and soloing so I will be interested in hearing it for guitar as well.

Dan

13. AZG

AZG Member

So when is it suppose to be released?

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Did the M-Series have as many updates when it was initially released as the HD? I mean, I'm not under the impression that Line 6 will continually update the unit for free, but they appear to be laying a solid support groundwork of the product. I have no issue with paid updates as long as they're substantial.

15. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Didn't see it in the official list of features for the 2.0 release...

But was there anything done about the global EQ? Or overly boomy 4x12 cabinets? I can understand stuff like this not making it into the press release...

16. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

These updates are definitely cool, IMO, but at the end of the day, it appears that my 11Rack will still sound better because it doesn't looking like they've made any changes that will affect the sounds that are already there (like redoing the cabs or adding global EQ, etc). Still, all the cool Variax integration is making me want to give it another try :D
    -
    Austin

17. TomWaitsForNoMan

TomWaitsForNoMan Member

I think announcing the "fixes" implies something was wrong in the first place and of course that's marketing no-no ...

But I agree that if Global EQ was ready, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops considering the amount of requests they've had with this.

18. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Silver Supporting Member

I think I had one update for my M. But it was a good one! Nothing since.

19. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

That's keeping me from coming back.... :(

20. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Guys, just remember, Rich Renken has said that they are listening and updates are coming... Wouldn't be surprised if we see Globabl EQ sooner than later.