Pod HD500, still nasty crossover distortion after update

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rena Rune, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

The Plexi is actually particularly bad for it -

http://www.box.com/s/1f17246c80e1917d941f

All models are affected by this, but not equally. In some it's easier to dial it out by changing the Bias than others. This leads me to believe it's not a hardware issue, though it may be somehow influenced by it(and this is my second unit anyway).

You can hear it particularly badly when I pick the lower notes.

As awesome as the mid gain sounds are, especially now with the cab controls, I feel like giving up on the unit now, maybe going back to an M9(though that had some of it's own problems).

2. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

I hear it. I haven't had much time with it (Plexi or any amp sims in general) but when I practiced Wednesday, I was plugging into an Acoustic 30w combo, so I assumed the garble was just because the amp couldn't hadle it (it was also fuzzing out with a vocal mic plugged directly into it.) I'll try messing with it more tonight with my studio cans on. But right now, to your sample, I'm listening with iPod earbuds and I can definitely hear it. :(

3. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I'm hearing this too, especially with particularly articulate pickups (like my WCR SRs in my Strat).

4. nsbucky

nsbucky Member

most of my line6 gear tends to make strange noises after a while.... all I have now is an m9 that I just use for occasional effects. Depending on song, switching it in/out a bunch introduces eventual audio artifacts. I even sent it back once to them to get fixed and they claimed it was fine, but it still acts up.

5. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

What do you expect for a $400 all in one type of budget unit?

6. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

This really isn't an excuse and I wish people would stop saying this. It's a bit useless being "all in one" if all the clean/low gain tones are ruled out. My Zoom G3 cost a fraction of the price and I have better luck getting low gain tones out of it.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Aren't there some extraneous noise parameter controls in the HD? (I'm serious). Like 50Hz vs. 60Hz hum or something? Maybe mess with those settings?
    If not I would cut bait... I think you have been wrestling with this for some time.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

Huh... I'm not getting it so far with my Variax... That sounds a little like the noise some folks got when they had the input set up in the wacky (default) manner...

9. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I've tried all the different impedance settings, padding the input, etc. it's not regular clipping, it's more like crossover distortion. It's a bit less noticeable with my Jag(probably since it's less Bassy) than the HH guitar I tried it with there but it's still there.

10. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

Johnny Ramone would just turn it up and rock your face off. So would a million other guitar players.

Start playing and stop nit picking.

11. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

This is a common issue?
    Crossover distortion is a generic fault, and I imagined there would be a little bit now and then with the POD HDs, but I've never heard of any complaints about it before; nor have I heard such a bad case of it.

12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Can you define crossover distortion? I think mine sounds 'off' too, but I don't understand what you mean.

I'm also not sure if my 'issue' is the HD500, as I just got my Aerodyne Strat upgraded with some Duncans and a Tom Anderson bridge. So what I'm hearing could be the new pickups or 'crossover distortion'.

13. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the world's worst consumer.

14. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Crossover distortion is, to put it very simply, distortion that occurs on the crossover point of a wave, so it's kind of "inside" the waveform, it's not caused by regular clipping. Generally tubes that are biased too cold can cause this. It has a very rattly kind of sound.

15. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Problem is you're staying in a $40/night Motel. You will have to put up with some roaches and stained sheets!!

There is a Ritz Carlton in a much better part of town, but it's gonna cost ya!!

Either way you pay a price. Sounds like you're not happy with the price you're paying!

16. DRS

DRS Member

Rena

Once I figured out the issues with FX placement, I have no weird distortions. I remember you complained about this before with clean tones. I have great clean tones (now) and so do guys like Jim Soloway.

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

Can you summarize these "issues"? For the benefit of the rest of us?

18. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Okay, I've been happy with the tones before the update. I haven't done the patch yet. Were you happier before the update or after? Sounds to me like the patch didn't help.

But then pretty much all I use is the Fender Deluxe model w/ screamer and reverb anyway.

19. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I recall this being an issue back when I owned my HD500. But, I have to admit, I never really noticed it. I mostly stayed with the BF Lux for clean stuff. Also, the guitars I use for clean typically have low output pups. In fact, I mostly favor single coils. Of course, I have no idea if any of that had any influence on the problem.

I assume you don't want to step into a higher price bracket. Perhaps, a G3 or G5 would be a good alternative for you.

20. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

you guys are talking Greek to me. I'm in love with my HD500.