Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 - really liking the look, but...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by scienceguy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. scienceguy

scienceguy Member

I'm kinda scared of all the negative posts over on the presonus website about the board crashing. Are there any alternatives to this board (digital, 16-channel firewire recording capabilities) in this price range, i.e. <$2000?
    The next closest thing I see is the Yamaha LS9, but that's around $5-6k.

2. robare99

robare99 Member

I use my SL24.4.2 with a UPS. No issues yet. In fact, I bought a 16.0.2 yesterday for smaller gigs!!

:love:

3. Seektone

Seektone Supporting Member

I think there was a firmware issue only on the 16.4.2's- some of the earlier ones - that has been taken care of.

4. modulusman

modulusman Member

I just bought one a few months ago and used it at a gig last weekend. It is a good board although there is a learning curve it wasn't too hard to get use to. Most the posters on the internet have given them rave reviews.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'm starting to see them everywhere in bars and clubs.

6. jacoblee83

jacoblee83 Member

Nothing compares at that price point. Its an amazing board. We have an LS9 at my church though and it is wonderful. No problems in over a year.

7. mthomps

mthomps Member

We will have one very soon. (16.4.2) I cannot wait! From what I understand they are in a league of their own.

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

If it were me, i'd hold off for the universally accepted LS9, but for the cost of the Presonus, I have to admit, it's hard to beat. I'm just a lot more fond of Yamaha's track record in pro audio (40+ years) than Presonus's (0 years, purely consumer/prosumer grade). Yamaha and it's PM series was the start of the "modern days" of live mixing with it's PM1000 through it's PM5000 analog consoles, then onto the digital PM5D, PM1D, DM2K, M7, etc.. But spend your money how you see best. And best of luck with the new purchase!

9. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

So far so good with my 24.4.2. It's got maybe 15 shows worth of time on it so far.
    No crashes, no hiccups. No issues to speak of.

Like Robare I am using a UPS with it, and I have also purchased a 16.0.2 for my rentals to pair up with a small powered box rig.

10. Strat

Strat Member

power supply power supply....

and waay easier than an LS9

11. plord

plord Member

The Allen and Heath Zed R16 just dropped to the $2k price point. Interesting tradeoffs (no groups) but I went with it over the Presonus. It just showed up; more later :)

Edited to Add: ah, but, the A&H is an analog board through and through. You can even take the DAW tracks back through firewire and do your final mix and summing in the analog domain. The lack of flying faders-- and the 60mm throw-- are not deal breakers for me when compared to the known quality of the A&H Pres and EQ.

12. bbrunskill

bbrunskill Member

The Presonus and the Yammie 01V96 are the only digi desks I can think of in that price range. Both are good. I'd probably go with the Presonus for the ease of use and built in firewire multi tracking/virtual soundcheck.

13. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Supporting Member

I'm about to buy a used 16.4.2 from someone who does not have the software disks. I see the software is on the Presonus site for download, but there are steps to activate the software. Does anyone know if there are any software license issues for second-hand buyers of presonus products? I'd guess not, but some confirmation would be good before I fork over the money.

14. bbrunskill

bbrunskill Member

Not sure - have you called Presonus? You might just need the unit's serial number.

15. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

mackie has a digital board out that uses an ipad as an interface. might be worth looking into if you like inexpensive (cheap).

16. scienceguy

scienceguy Member

Thanks for all your input so far!

17. robare99

robare99 Member

I'm sure you will be ok. You should be able to transfer the license. And you are urged to download the newest versions from the site anyway.

18. daveg62

daveg62 Member

Been using the Zed R16 for a couple years now. Great, great board! I have zero regrets picking this over the Presonus. I love my Zed and it sounds great!

19. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

been using an SL24.4.2 twice a week for about 7 months with no issues whatsoever.

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Around here bands and small providers are buying them right and left. No more problems than with most other gear. It's a heck of a mixer for the money (and 65% less than an LS9, which is more capable, but less easy to use). You can buy an SL24 and a spare and still have money left over.