PRS McCarty wiring schematic help, please!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner: Guitar & Bass Technical Discussi' started by clay49, Nov 15, 2010.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I've got a PRS McCarty, and I'm going to be changing out the bridge pickup (to a 4- conductor Duncan Seth Lover). Does any one have access to a schmatic diagram for the McCarty coil-split pots? I've never changed a pickup with 4-conductor cables in a coil-split pot before...only 2-conductor braided swaps (which are easy). This looks pretty tricky...which wires go where????

Thanks!:bow

2. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

clay49,
    If you'll PM me with your email address, I can send you some photos, pdf's and such. I've got a few things in my files, but no way to post them here.
    Steve

3. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

When in doubt, contact the company:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/mccarty.pdf

To convert this diagram to your Duncan: where it says: Push/Pull Tone Pot - "Bridge Pickup Tap (White)" you'll solder the red and white wires of your Duncan.

Where it says: Side Views, 3 way toggle - "Bridge pickup hot" you'll connect black from your Duncan.

The bare and green wire of your Duncan you'll wire to common ground, usually the back of the volume pot. If you find your pickup is out of phase with the neck (a thin, hollow sound when both pickups are on) flip the black wire with the green and you're good to go.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks!