Really Gibson? Nearly the same LP but one is $999 and the other is $749!!??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Check this out. I am very fond of Gibson Les Paul Specials, especially ones with humbuckers. I was in GC about three weeks ago and saw this:
    [​IMG]

This is the GC Exclusive Les Paul Special Pro. It has coil taps, 60's neck and gloss finish. Price....$999.

Now check this out. This is a new model that just showed up at Wildwood, Zzounds and MF about a week ago.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is called the Les Paul Junior Special. It has the 60's neck, gloss finish AND a bound neck.Keep in mind that this guitar comes with either P-90's or humbuckers. Price.....$799 ($749 if you prefer the satin finish).

Aside from the coil taps this seems like the same guitar? No? Why is the GC model $200 more?

Here's the kicker. I actually bought the GC model about three weeks ago. I ended up returning it due to a severe fret sprout issue. Now I plan to buy one of these LP Junior Special's. At nearly $200 less I am glad I was able to return the Special Pro. I plan to get one of these in a few weeks.

I don't understand the Gibson thought process here. Two models, nearly identical but one costs 20 percent less. Makes no sense to me.:messedup

2. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

pickguard and binding, ????

3. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Probably because it's a Guitar Center "Exclusive."

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

That's worth $200? BTW, neither of these have binding...unless you're referring to the bound neck on the Junior Special (which ironically is the cheaper of the two models).

5. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

7. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Maybe they want $500 extra for the included hardcase, lol!

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

yup, that explains it! ;)

9. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

I went looking for a case for my LP today - a Gibson case retails in Australia for $470 :messedup

10. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

The wonders of marketing...

11. jklotz

jklotz Member

I just ordered one of the ones for $749. As best as I could tell, the differences are coil tap, hardshell case (as opposed to gig bag), rosewood fretboard (as opposed to baked maple fretboard), shape of the pickguard, bound fretboard and tuning keys.

12. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Which color did you order? I think I am going to go for the tobacco burst!

13. Scott L

Scott L Supporting Member

About a year 1/2 ago Guitar Center started with an GC exclusive model that was for Retail Sales only - They were $999 and it was a Single Cut, Rosewood Fingerboard Bound Neck, P90, with a Belly Cut relief on the back, and a gig bag. The came in Heritage Cherry and Natural Walnut. They were supposed to be a limited run / edition. Another run was done and they were / are now $899 in locals stores by me. A little while back, perhaps Presidents day these were marked down to $729 or $739. There are a few locally left around NJ/NY

The $1299 model with the non-bound Ebony fingerboard was at 1st an American Musical Supply exclusive. These shipped with a Gibson Thin Line LP case. They came in White, Yellow and Vintage Sunburst. There is a Double Cut model also. Over the summer Musicians Friend was blowing them out at $799. AFAIK none of retailers have the single cuts in stock any more. AMS has the double cuts down to $1099.

The Special Pro is another GC exclusive and I'm sure has a good margin for GC to be able to runs sales on - @ 15% off you at $850 and your getting the coil splits. GC has the upper hand that you can't price shop this against other retailers.

The new model at $749 - $799 has the Baked Maple board and my hunch is the pricing is set to quell the concern for lack of the Rosewood. I would also look at the overall finish of the paint. Some of the recent lower costing single PUP Juniors had poorly finished / sanded bodies that you could see grain right though the paint.

14. Phila67

Phila67 Member

Looking closely at the specs, the differences are in the neck construction and pickups. The Les Paul Special Pro has a different bridge humbucker and fingerboard-- ("obeche"/aka "ebony"?). The Junior special has a maple fret board (but bound). Also, there maybe differences in the body construction. The junior bodies are multi-piece. Perhaps the special is not--or has fewer pieces?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  15. Scott L

Obeche is not Ebony - dark and hard yes but a less costly wood.

At this point until you get up the food chain on Les Pauls to the $2300 Traditional you are no longer getting Rosewood.

16. Scott L

Musicians Friend has 14% off for St Pats - got Music 123 to match it - $688 on a Tobacco Gloss delivered no tax :)

17. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

If I hadn't of read that the fingerboard on my new LP Jr Satin is baked maple, I don't think I would've ever known it wasn't rosewood...

18. Scott L

Gibson got much better at getting the look / color down. The lack of pores / and the tight grain is the way to tell.

19. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

Last Gibson Special I picked up in a store was a 5 piece done in satin white

20. jklotz

jklotz Member

I went for the vintage burst.