Recommendation for an acoustic preamp?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DavidG, Mar 31, 2010.

1. DavidG

DavidG Member

Looking for an acoustic preamp of some sort. Was thinking about getting a Country man DI pre? Will someone give me some helpful advice? Looking to spend 250 to 300. Anyone use the moma bear Dtar?

Edit: probably looking for used

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. DavidG

DavidG Member

Never mind, I just won a Trillion dollars!

A/F:D

3. drive-south

drive-south Member

I'm not aware that Countyman makes a preamp. They do make direct boxes, but have no preamps listed on thier site.

The Baggs Para-DI is very popular and affordable. If you want more functions their new Venue is a step up.

Radial offers a line of DI boxes, but their new Tonebone PZ-PRE is a full-function preamp as well.

Both the Venue and Tonebone sell for $300 and have efx loops, parametric EQ, boost, multiple inputs, etc.

You didn't tell us what pickup your' using. This is definately relevent to the discussion.

There are higher-end preamps out there. The top of the heep is the Pendulum SPS1 at nearly $2k.

Mama Bear is an imaging preamp like the Fishman Aura. They seem to have come and gone the way of the hoola hoop.

drive-south

4. mannish

mannish Member

I use a Fishman Pro or something like that with K&K Western Mini - I am pleased with it and don't need to spend that much on a preamp cause I probably could not hear that much difference

5. royd

royd Member

the Dtar Solstice is great

6. venivici

venivici Supporting Member

I have a LR Baggs venue, which served me well and works great, just dont need to use it for myself.

Its actually for sale in the emporium for a decent price :aok

7. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

All good choices. I just picked up a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. It has what Fishman calls images that give your acoustic a live microphone sound even with a marginal pickup. I like what it does so far. Different than anything I tried up to this point.

8. DavidG

DavidG Member

Yeah my bad.

I might check that one out. Thanks

9. willnorvell

willnorvell Member

Look around and find a PreSonus Acousti-Q. They'll pop up on Ebay every once in a while. I used to travel full time leading worship, and I tried EVERYTHING as far as preamps are concerned. The PreSonus always let me dial in exactly what I wanted. I'm using an Avalon U5 now that I'm in the same room all the time, but I flirt with going back to the Acousti-Q quite a bit.

10. DavidG

DavidG Member

Will do. PreSonus makes some pretty killing stuff. Thanks man.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Supporting Member

I've played a Dtar Momma and I own a Fishman Aura. Both use a similar technology to substitute samples of a guitar similar to yours for the piezo sound. It's cool technology, and if you're into the sound of recorded guitars like old Simon and Garfunkle or CSNY then it's very cool. If you like the piezo sound live, there're better choices. I've used a Fishman preamp that's matched to my Nightfly, OK I guess. At church we're using a pair of the Tech21 DI/EQ boxes for acoustic and they sound great.

12. Gretsch1972

Gretsch1972 Member

That is categorically false. The Mama Bear is a modeler. The Aura is an imager that uses a quantifiably different method to achieve the sounds. You may dislike them both, but they are nothing alike.

The Aura makes highly sophisticated images of an acoustic guitar using various low to high end microphones and creates an image that can be interpreted by your guitar's pickup. But it's specifically matched for the instrument you play, unlike the inferior technology of the Mama Bear.

The Fishman Spectrum DI is used by people like James Taylor and Jerry Douglas. Hardly obsolete.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

I adore my Yamaha AG-Stomp. It has mike modeling, but only one mike is decent, the very first one. really tames the piezo quack, and makes my guitars sound like they're miked.

Also like the Taylor K4. No idea how much they cost.

Para DI is easiest to use.

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

The Taylor K4 is pricey, around $400 neighborhood. Great preamp, though ...designed by Rupert Neve, no slouch in the industry.

I, however, live in a different neighborhood ;)
    I like the LR Baggs ParaDI, and now the Venue even better. The ParaDI has one distinct advantage of being able to utilize phantom power. But if you can live without that feature, the Venue has a wider range of input gain (so better for a range of different pickup systems), has a built in mute/tuner, and user-definable clean boost. The notch filter and sweep eq is also impeccably quiet and does its job perfectly.

That said, if you are serious about a good preamp, get a tube preamp and you'll never look back. Not cheap, but a good preamp goes a long way in maintaining/amplifying great tone. And in terms of amplifying acoustic guitar, more often than not (and to a varying degree given the choice of pickup system), acoustic amplification is generally plagued with some amount of "hard edge" when amp'd by anything other than a mic. Tubes (typically) have a wonderful tendency to retain the true warmth and natural timbre of the source tones. ...IMHO, anyway.

Edward

15. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

What kind of guitar? Are there any electronics in it now, if so what?

What kind of environment do you want to use it it? (finger style duo, full band, etc.)

All questions that need to be answered before any useful answer could be given about an acoustic pickup, IMO.

16. RockinB23

RockinB23 Supporting Member

I have been using the Baggs PARADI for quite some time. I bought the Baggs Venue DI and then sold it again. I didn't like it as much it ate batteries really quickly and it doesn't power off XLR Phantom power and the signal seemed overpowering for my sound guy.

I have a DTAR Wavelength Pickup in my Mayes and I'm getting another in my next Mayes so I have been very curious and interested in trying a DTAR MAMA Bear. My Wavelength sounds pretty good just plugged straight into a DI box which Preamp which is a plus.

17. slowth

slowth Member

well the mama bear is some sorta modeler aint it?

if u want purely EQ it would be the equinox. the solstice would only make sense if u had 2 pickups?

having said that, i use the Headway EDB 1 preamp and it totally trashes the Baggs DI in terms of sound quality.
    Compared to the solstice, it's as good but more compact!

18. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

You might want to look into the BBE Acoustimax. Huge footprint, but excellent and versatile EQ, plus you get a built in BBE Sonic Stomp.

19. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I use a BBE Acoustimax and it works fine for me. My Baggs PADI had better EQ sweep, but the sonic expander on the BBE makes the whole pedal work better for me. All of the above being said, I'd go back to the Baggs PADI in a heartbeat as it just seems to be a better quality DI.

20. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

What is the quantifiable difference between the term "imager" and "modeler?"