Refret advice and best luthier in the Louisville, Nashville area

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bgwicks, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Hi,

I have 1963 strat, refinished in natural. Before I got it some one really shaved the G B E strings between about the 12 and 17th fret. I mean really shaved. It almost looks like they have been flattened and smoothed.

Does anyone know why someone would do this. There is a fair bit of wear on the G B E frets around frets 2 to 6, so I was thinking may be they did it to compensate for this.

I thought perhaps the neck was twisted but it looks perfectly straight except you can see the dip where the frats were shaved.

Was there some kind of wierd thing that was done for a particular style of playing.

It is a mystery for me, but in any event it is definately time for a refret.

Being a vintage instrument, although extensively played I would like to get a good quality refret.

I am in Evansville Indiana and so I can take it to Louisville or Nashville or Indi or St Louis for refret. Can anyone recommend a good luthier who has reasonable prices but can do a job that will maintain the integrity of the guitar.

Is Gruhn's able to do it, or are they expensive etc.

Thanks

2. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

joe glazer, he has a plek as well. in nashville.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Joe Glaser is THE guy in Nashville.

4. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Hi,

Sounds great. I tried to google him with no luck. Any advice on how to contact him.

5. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Glaser. Hands down.

298-1139

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

In case no one's mentioned it yet, Joe Glaser in Nashville.

7. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Thanks for your help. I rang him and its about $300-400 for refret and plek with a full set up. For my old 63 that is money well spent.

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Absolutely. Last guit I had that done to there....great great fret job. Your '63 will be in good hands.

9. rastus

rastus Silver Supporting Member

Glaser is great and if I were you, I'd pay the extra to have the new frets plecked. He is the king of that thing. On the other hand, I take my guitars to another luthier here, Gary Gilbert of King Bee Guitars in Arrington, TN-just south of Nashville. Glaser is great, but I've had plenty of his and Gary is better, in my book. Most the Country and session guys down here know it, too-Gary is the man-he is the only guy that touches my fretwork and setups. He is a freakin wizard! and I believe he is cheaper than Glaser on a simple unbound refret. Give him a call-(615)613-3144, he is closed on Wed and Sunday, open Saturday 10:30-2:00.

Like I said, Glaser is great, a legend, props and all, but Gary is the man, no question at all in my book, at least. Tell him Mark sent you.