Replacement speakers for 1973 Fender twin reverb-had 2 JBL d120f

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ampman7, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ampman7

ampman7 Member

What are your recommendations for speaker replacements for my 1973 Fender twin reverb amp? It had JBL D120f speakers. thanks

2. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

JBL k120's? I'm serious btw.

3. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    [​IMG]

I have some Eminence British series in my UL Twin and they work great, not my first choice, but i haven't had any issues and they sound nice.

4. peeweesurfs

peeweesurfs Member

I Put Celestion Vintage 30,s in my 72 twin and it improved the tone and articulton hugely. Super clean sound and great platform for my pedals and not to expensive. I also tried a set of Naylor SD 50,s in my 68 pro reverb and that was huge too a little more $ than the V 30's.

5. aflynt

aflynt Supporting Member

I've got one Jensen C12-K and one old EV 12-L in my Quad Reverb / Twin conversion right now and it's a pretty killer combo... Both tonally and spinally. :) The Jensen is well broken in and sounds really dark and middy and the EV adds a dash of sparkle and quite a bit of girth on it's own. Together they kind of instantly transform a normal Strat into an SRV like Super Strat. It's huge and shimmery at the same time. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to fit a forklift through my front door to cart it to the next job.

-Aaron

6. Tomo

Tomo Member

Cavin speakers are very nice! I like Cavin vintage VL12 too.

Texas Heat & RW& Blues mix.... or Swamp Thang & Screaming Eagle mix....

I love those mix in my Pro Reverbs.

Tomo

7. benderman

benderman Member

I have a 65 RI Twin that has been my workhorse amp for the past 7 or 8 years now.I've been thru quite a few speaker changes since i've had the amp,about a year and a half ago I bit the bullet and installed the Jensen Neo 12's afetr reading some good reviews and I am very happy with them.Plus my Twin is about 8 or 10 lbs lighter and my back Love's them.

8. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Supporting Member

If you're replacing jbl speakers and want something similar, there are plenty of options, but my vote would also be Jensen Neo 100s.

9. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

what are good JBL-like options?

10. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Supporting Member

Well, Weber Californias are supposed to be a good choice. EVs are a slightly different beast, and just as heavy, but also handle a ton of power and don't impart a ton of character on the amp. Other JBLs (K or E series too), and the Weber Neos were designed with JBL in mind.

Seriously though, I pulled a D120F out of my Deluxe Reverb, put in a Neo, and I haven't looked back since. I only did it to save weight, expecting to compromise in tone, but I actually like it a little better. Still an efficient, clean speaker, but not quite so much of that biting high end you can sometimes from an original JBL.