Replacing line 6 dl4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RickNew, Jul 15, 2012.

1. RickNew

RickNew Member

I've had a line 6 Dl4 for the longest time and have mostly like it. Have it set for a slapback echo (country) a longer delay for leads and the third would vary but rarely used. Don't really use the looper or exotic delays'

It has become unreliable and I'm looking to replace it. My question is what is the best way to get these two basic delays on my board. Is there a similar unit to the dl4 or should I set up two pedals with single sounds.

Thanks for any input

PS, I power my board with a voodoo pedal power 2

2. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with any of the Strymon delays and a favorite switch.

3. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

The Strymon's are solid recommendation, & will do the 2 sounds you want well.
    The Vox Delay Lab seems like a great direct replacement for the DL-4.

When I replace my DL-4 it most likely will be with an M9.

4. Drxgue

Drxgue Member

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I'd heartily recommend TC Electronic's Nova Repeater or Nova Delay. The big difference in the two is the Delay's digital display of BPM/ms and programmable presets. I have the Repeater and love it dearly.

5. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Supporting Member

How bout an echo park and an analog delay (Luke a carbon copy)?

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Boss DD-20 would be worth looking into as well. Dependable, easy to use, great sounding, versatile delay unit.

7. mikkvoxNT

mikkvoxNT Member

Visaul sound dual tap delay mabey

8. danonbass

danonbass Supporting Member

Ok Rick. Let's see, you only use two sounds, a slap back and and longer lead delay. Since you're not looking for crazy delays, and thus perhaps aren't a "delay guy" go the inexpensive but quality route. Pick up a used MXR Carbon Copy and a used Boss DD7. Use one for slap back and one for your lead sound. Pick up a small tap tempo switch if you'd like the tap tempo option on the DD7. They're both rock solid pedals and are on touring pros boards across the world. Only get another mega delay unit if you are really into using delay.

9. Dbwalker

Dbwalker Member

Aquapuss makes stellar slap back delay box , it has a thing, hard to describe, love it.

Echo park is an inexpensive alternative to the dl4 as weel. And sounds much the same ( but better in many ways.

10. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

THIS ^

It's already knocked afew DL4's off pedalboards, including Brian Ray (touring with Paul McCartney) and
    Jason "Slim" Gambill (lead guitarist for Lady Antebellum)
    the tone of the pedal itself is fantastic

11. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Replaced my DL4 with my an El Cap and Favorite switch. Great replacement :D

12. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Supporting Member

El Cap + favorite switch is probably a good option. I currently run an Empress Superdelay, but that might be a little bit too much. Or like mentioned before a Boss DD-X + analog delay would also be awesome I think.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

TC IB Modified Nova Delay - has 9 Presets, and sounds very good. I replaced my Boss DD-20, which I had for many years. The Nova sounds much better.

14. PanicProne

PanicProne Member

I sort of replaced mine with an Empress Superdelay although I ended up with an m9 eventually (for longer looping and filter models mainly). I love the Superdelay (especially that reverse c everyone always talks about) but it all depends. If you really know what two sounds you want and have the cash for it I say it's almost always more fun to have "unique" pedals rather than a "multi". However, the empress is pretty darn cool.

15. alamere

alamere Member

If you are looking to go all analog, the analogman delay is my recent choice and I also switched from a DL4 and set it up for two distinct delays just as you are noting.

The ARDX is two, all analog delays in one box.
    If you are looking for sharper repeats the Strymon boxes certainly get a TON of high praise here..

16. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

If you like your DL4, and wanted it to be more reliable. Why don't you get a hotrod and mod all at once? Send it to forumite drasp! He does custom paint jobs. He can change the switches to more reliable ones. Fix the volume drop etc.. more info on his link. Seriously ended my delay search!

Here's mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Member

Well, if you're looking to keep it simple/reduce the footprint, the BBE Two Timer will do just what you need. I've recently picked up the Vox DelayLab, and I'm thinking that pedal was built to be a DL4 killer. Its just as easy to use, has more useable sounds (IMO), and a longer loop time. It also retails for a little less and has almost exactly the same footprint. Might be overkill if you just need a couple of basic delay sounds though.

18. wornoutjunkie

wornoutjunkie Member

I Highly Agree with them, I have Nova Repeater and has an amazing tone and covers a lot of ground, but I've been looking for the new IB Nova Delay to cover two sounds: I only need a slapback and lead delay like you, but I maybe keep the Repeater for the medium delay and add a MXR CC for the slapbacks.

If you haven't tried TC electronics I would recommend you to try them, another option to replace a DL4 is the Vox Delay Lab, the Line 6 M9 and the Timeline are popular choices.

Good luck!

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

After my DL-4 broke down, I got a Damage Control Timeline to replace it. It served me well, with a great sound of its own.

I finally got the DL-4 modded by R3FX after talking to a buddy who had his DL-4 modded by the same guy. Now the DL-4 is working again, and I use it a lot more than the DC Timeline. Go figure!

20. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

There is an Empress Superdelay in the emporium right now for $250. Great price on a great, versatile delay pedal.