Reverend Gallery

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jon Silberman, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

No problems, Martyn. It's a great roots-rock album. Tear-jerking and funny in equal measure. I'm sure you'll dig it. I wish I could find a Squier (or even a full-on US tele) that sounds half as good as Chuck's.

2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I'll put the ":rolleyes:" thing on my message next time for full clarity.

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I got it, Mike. Given my oftimes goofiness, Jon's concern isn't ill-founded. Besides, I did briefly think, "There are still some Slingshot's left..." ;)

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, Mike. I can't help it, whenever anyone even suggests buying another guitar I immediately go into literal mode. :MMM

5. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

CQ, what about just trading electronics (pickups, pickguard, etc) with someone that has a SS?

6. Jon Silberman

Duh! :jo What a simple and excellent idea (I would think it would be easy to find someone who would give you his SS pickguard assemby for a SSC's).

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

:jo, indeed! Thanks, Glenn.

Although, I have to admit, I've been playing my SSC a lot in the past few days on my Swart, and I'm finally getting some use from 2 & 4, and especially 3.

Unfortunately, the Swart is acting up (lots of rattling, some unmusical distortion, even picking up radio signals.) So, I'm talking to Michael Swart, and we're trying to narrow down what's going on.

8. Mike Duncan

Bugeye - Head to eBay.

9. ol' bugeyes

ol' bugeyes Member

thanks mike, but i've already got one. :AOK

i find that to be my least favorite rev. i can't seem to get the action right and i guess i'm just a little over the 'hot strat' sound. i'd probably love it if i was a better texas blues player.

it's kind of funny, but i don't get the same vibe from my commando.

any die hard avenger fans out there wanna tell me what i'm missing?

10. Avenger

Avenger Member

As a self described Avenger afficianado, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

I'm not so sure you are necessarily missing anything with the Avenger experience, though I suspect you might like it more if you could get the action set to your preference. "Hot strat" and "texas blues" sound are pretty accurate descriptions.

I've discovered quite a few more sounds in there, though. The volume control, in particular, is fairly effective. I think you get a bit of a vintage strat sound when I play clean with the volume rolled back a bit. There are some great clean sounds from the Avenger, not just SRV.

Mine has a traditional style strat bridge pickup. Although I rarely use the bridge pickup alone, I think you can get some pretty cool 50's strat tones from it. Roll back the tone a bit, throw some overdirve and delay at it and it even does some pretty cool arena rock type sounds (though I don't have the chops to really pull off that type of music)

I also like the middle pickup alone quite a bit, but this is mostly a different flavor of the SRV type tones I like. In the end it might just be that the Avenger doesn't really match your style of music.

11. Avenger

Avenger Member

On another topic... How long does it take for the new guitar glow to wear off? I have barely touched my Reverends for the past three weeks since I got my Rickenbacker 330. I'm sure I will get back in the mood to play my Avenger. The Rick doesn't come close to being a substitute for that guitar. The Rick does seem to cover the overdriven rootsy rock sounds that I would normally go to the Hotshot Jr. to cover, though. I won't do anything crazy like sell the Hotshot next week, but it does have me thinking... Maybe I could trade it for a Rumblefish...:NUTS :D

12. Jon Silberman

I'm no diehard Avenger lover but I do dig mine alot. It's one of the earlier ones (SN 291 or so), the neck is exceptionally beefy and comfortable.

The frets are the biggest I've ever encountered on any Reverend (to the point where I'm wondering if it came stock this way or if the original owner, West Coast blues marvel Kenny Blue Ray, refretted it).

The tones are excellent at every setting. Position 5 is every bit as fat and full as any Strat, positions 2 and 4 yield plenty of quack, positions 3 and 1 I don't use much but they're "legit."

I like this guitar enough that I later sold my only real Strat, a Fender USA Buddy Guy Signature Strat. It was a fine axe but I found I wasn't playing it much anymore after acquiring the Avenger.

On the honeymoon phase, of course we'll all different, but myself, I find myself playing my newest guitar almost exclusively for the first couple of weeks after acquiring it in equal parts due to the noneymoon effect and simply digging and learning the instrument's full capabilities. So my advice would be do NOT make any irrevocable decisions about selling other axes until the honeymoon has fully expired (in the case of my Strat, I sold it only about a half year after acquiring the Avenger).

13. ol' bugeyes

ol' bugeyes Member

thanks for the advice terry.

i was a strat only guy for about 10 years, and as a result, i don't think i'll ever feel 100% comfortable on anything but a fender style neck. about 7 years ago i started getting into different pup configurations, and i suppose i'm still on my honeymoon period with them. (there are so many...)

you are totally right about the action though. i think i'm going to have it set up professionally. my hack and slash luthiery skills are no match for reverend's fine engineering.

i am amazed sometimes at how different each of my reverends feel. even with identical strings, action, and (for the most part) construction, each guitar feels unique before you plug it in.

i know it's kind of cheesy, but i've always thought of guitars as having personalities. once a certain build quality is achieved, its more a matter of personal compatibility for me than anything else.

i find myself using the ol' "it's not you, it's me..." quite often on guitars i don't particularly get along with. ;)

14. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

On the Avenger, it's the TL bridge pickup that really kicks butt.:JAM
    And the bridge + middle is pretty much where I leave it, with the tone down a bit.

Back to the topic of non-Reverend gear, I got an AC Booster from Xotic Effects that is a great Overdrive/distortion pedal that will also start going into fuzz zone. Has tons of bass available and doesn't make your guitar sound tinny when you kick it in. Then, I put a cheapie pedal on my Amazon wish list for Xmas... the Guyatone TZ2 Fuzz. Wow! Mega fuzz! This thing is fun! And funny!

15. Mike Duncan

The Reverend webpage isn't working for me. Is that a good sign or bad sign? Anyone else able to open it?

16. Jon Silberman

Works for me.

Mike, you are merely experiencing your browser's new "GASoholics repellent" software feature. It works by repelling guitarists who have acquired too many new guitars, especially Gretsches, from accessing the home pages of their favorite guitar pushers.

:p

17. martyncrew

martyncrew Silver Supporting Member

Reverend website down = something is brewing. Over on the FDP, Portsider says that USA prices are going up 30%. That's gonna put USA Revs in a very odd price bracket - 25-30% more than USA Fenders but 25-30% less than boutique guitars.

Oh well, let's wait and see what Joe has up his sleeve!

18. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

Mike, you are probably going to reverenddirect.com which seems to be down. reverendguitars.com works fine. Probably the old one has expired.

19. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

Regarding price increase, read the new revised discontinuation notice about the US models. Says a new "Retro Pro" series will be released. I guess this is the answer to those that want to buy the US models.

20. Mike Duncan

Okay, it's up with some new information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.