Robert Cray gear question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitarboy, Jun 25, 2007.

1. gitarboy

gitarboy Supporting Member

Hey,
    Anybody seen him live... is he playing lead thru the two Clubmans and rhythm thru a vibro-king or visa versa... also I'm assuming no pedals... :AOK

Thanks,
    Steve

2. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

Mr.Hanky's band just played with them, and i believe that's what he relayed.

3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Silver Supporting Member

I think he's got two Peavey Valve verbs in a rack as well. I think his website still lays out his gear set up.

4. Timmo

Timmo Supporting Member

This is what is so cool about tone/gear and makes the world go'round..............I have always HATED Robert Cray's tone!

I mean, it really makes me cringe...........:nono :D

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill Silver Supporting Member

I saw him live about 2 years ago...in the front row so that I really couldn't even hear much of the rest of the band. It was interesting just watching the guy do a show and hear almost nothing but him...one of the truly great players, writers, and singers of our time.

6. meterman

meterman Member

I'm not a fan of his recorded tone, a bit sterile sounding to me. However I recently saw him open for Clapton & Derek Trucks and he sat in on Old Love, my god his tone and playing sent chills through the whole crowd it seemed. Definitely a tone meister live, fat, clean, sustaining, punchy, very expressive and he really worked the notes hard....

7. TimH

TimH Member

I saw him on the Clapton tour and his live tone was the best of the 4 monsters...perhaps Trucks' tone was as good but so different it was hard to judge. I agree, big,punchy, glassy cleanish tone and great for his style.

8. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

He sounded much better when he was playing Super Reverbs.

9. fe911

fe911 Member

I saw him play years ago with a boogie mark II. Couldn't get close enough to really see. Saw him a few years later with a fender. I thought he sounded exactly the same through both. As far as the Super Reverb,,, we all sound better through those!!!! I don't think people realize what a great live amp that is. One of the truly great penetrators!! Just a pain to be right in front of and lug around!!

10. monstermike

monstermike Member

The "Leslie" styled effect is actually a custom tube stereo vibrato made by his tech - it's the fabled circuit from a Magnatone amp. The Valverbs supply reverb and trem to the Matchless pair, and his delay is a fairly new addition.

I seem to remember reading that the Matchless amps are used for the clearer, glassier stuff (and the stereo vibrato, of course) and the Vibro King is for the dirtier, more direct tones. I could be wrong, though.

I do kind of miss the blackface Super/Twin combination he was using in the early 90's - just the sheer clarity and impact of every note - but I like his squishier recent tones, too, and his touch is so unspeakably great that it's not like it bothers me either way. He's one of my favorites of all time, and one of my biggest influences.

11. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I saw video of him on PBS playing at Clapton's Crossroads festival.. Many guitar "giants" were there.. Santana, Gibbons, John Meyer, Joe Walsh, Buddy Guy, EC himself... but Robert Cray played a song - I've forgotten the title - but I have never seen anyone *anyone* convey more raw emotion then he did in that performance.. Absolutely awesome!

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Robert is one of the most exciting players I've ever seen live. Me, I love his sound, really appreciate his unique voice on the strat. He reminds me of Taj Mahal in a way. Both of them "sing" out licks on the guitar, and both project heavy emotional power on stage.

13. CocoTone

CocoTone Member

Man, two of my favourite players mentioned in one post. You sir, have taste up the wazoo! TajMahal is the future elder statesman of the blues, and Cray made just about everyone at that Crossroads festival look like punks, cept for Buddy!!

CT.

14. gitarboy

gitarboy Supporting Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the responses... I specifically like the lead tone on his latest live CD the very last song on CD #2... I'm thinkin' it's the Vibro-King... but not sure. I'd be looking to get that tone in a smaller amp... any ideas, it's spanky, honky, with sustain but not much dirt...

Steve :drool

15. goodtone

goodtone Member

I saw Robert about a year ago and he was playiing through 2 clubmans and had a great sound. I think I read somewhere that Jimmy Vaughn used two Fender Super Reverbs for his sound years back and became a Matchless Clubman man himself.

16. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Yes, three guys whose playing and tone I used to absolutely adore went from Supers/Twins to newer amps, and all of them lost some of that great tone..

Jimmy Vaughn, Anson Funderburgh, Robert Cray, am I forgetting any?

17. jpastras

jpastras Member

I don't think he's lost anything with the new rig. Just different, and a great sound.

To the poster who mentioned digging the sound on the very last track on disc 2 of "Live from Across The Pond" - I think you might get that tone in a small package from a tweed deluxe with a 12ay7 in it.

Cray is my favorite player, bar none.

18. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 Totally agree.

19. 6stringdavey

6stringdavey Member

I saw him at the Doheny Blues festival last summer and he was using Matchless. The PA went out during his set and he didn't miss a beat going into an unbelievable jam for about 15 minutes while they fixed it. Needless to say it was unbelievable. I will say that he is a soul singer first who happens to be a great guitar player versus most people who are guitarist first and mediocre singers second.

20. In Tune

In Tune Member

:bow+100 on Robert Cray!!!!! I would spend my cash to see him any day over Mayer. Not near enough love for the Crayster IMHO>:bow