Rockabilly Strings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an ES-175 with P-90s. I come from Tele-land so I'm just beginning to experiment with strings. Right now, I've started off with .10s, which I use on my Teles, but they seem a bit thin. I'm thinking roundwounds with an unwrapped G would be in order, but perhaps the early players used flats. I'm looking for a big, fat clean with a bit of hair sound and would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!!

2. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing series flatwounds on a tele, and I'm a big fan of them, but if you want an unwound G I suggest you try their other jazz guitar string: the Jazz Bebop series. They use a smaller diameter wrap wire than is typical (pure nickel wrap) for a core to wrap ratio closer to a set of flats. They're sort of in between roundwound and flatwound strings as far as tone goes - with a lot of fundamental in the sound but still with sparkly overtones. Kind of "piano like" I'd say. I used to use them on a Godin Acousticaster and was very happy with them. Being a jazz string, the tensions are very even across the set, and overall tension is probably less than what you'd expect. Given that, I'd suggest starting with the .012-.050 set, the heaviest to still have a plain steel G, although they also make an .011 Bebop set. Here's what the pack looks like:

[​IMG]

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Dean Markely medium gauge.

4. Rotten

Closer to rockabilly. Although the jazz tone that I like is an early Kenny Burrell kinda dirty tone. I also like to bend a bit.

5. jo2012

jo2012 Member

Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys

6. Rotten

It's a jazz box, but with the P-90s, covers 295 territory. Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Member

I recently plopped some D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds on my Gretsch (with Dearmond 2000's, which are not exactly P-90s, but close in character). I ordered a set of T-Is to try, but haven't broken open the package yet.

I can say that the chromes on my Gretsch sound very Rockabilly.. or very Jazzy... or very Jump Blues.

I just picked up a Les Paul Junior Special P-90 and am contemplating the T-I's on it.

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I run Chromes on my Godin Kingpin P-90, and it sounds retro as hell. I can't imagine going back to roundwounds.

9. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Brian Setzer.