Ronnie Earl content here.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DEMENTED, Aug 10, 2010.

1. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

2. gstan

gstan Member

99.9% probability of Blackface Super Reverb

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

He used to use two BFSRs together. Not sure about now.

MD

4. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

You can see what looks like it might be his amp at 5 min, 6:07 and the very end. Looks to be shorter then a Super, it's hard to tell though. Maybe a Twin? I know Ronnie loves SR's though, he called a strat and SR "a match made in heaven". He has the best sounding strat tones I've ever heard (and amazing talent to go with it). Notice how he picks near the bridge. Love that sound!

5. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

That's what he was using when I saw him.

6. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

15-17 years ago I saw him at a place called "Chicago Blues" in NYC. Got there at 4:00 and his rig was set up on the 1' stage. It was a BF Twin with 2 D-120's. Walked right up to the amp and took a look in the back. Bright switch was on too.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Killer player! No problem hearing Ronnie Earl in any mix fo sho ;)

8. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

looks like a twin.

9. Goofball

Goofball Member

Ronnie Earl just drips tone from his fingers!

Years ago, an old friend of mine turned me on to Ronnie and man, am I glad he did. One of my favorite guitar players!

10. John Barber

John Barber Supporting Member

A good friend and mentor Robbie Laws who has played with Ronnie several times, said he's been using a BFTR for a long time now, and he's one of the really great guitar player that have not gotten their rightfull spot in the music business, or well deserved kudos. This Cat can play Jazz or Blues with so much soul.
    He's, as far as I know the only guy that SRV didn't want to go up against in a guitar slinging shoot out in Texas.

11. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Love Ronnie to death! That video is a Twin but his favourite amp for the last long while is a Super reverb.A youtuber that filmed some shows sent me his settings-Super Man!
    Thought you might like to see Ronnies Super Reverb settings the other night:

Main amp:
    Treble 8
    Mid 6.5
    Bass 4
    Reverb 5

Backup amp used second half of show:
    Treble 9.5
    Mid 10
    Bass 5.5
    Reverb 8

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I much prefer Ronnie's tone and playing to some other players that get more "press" here.:dude

13. Dumb Bell

Dumb Bell Member

Couldn't agree more. I supplied some amps to a bluesfest here years ago, Ronnie used a blackface twin and super together. I think he adjusts everything strictly by ear, is not a distorto junkie like so many guys. What a sound he got that night. He was using what looked like a 50's refin maple neck strat. Loud and pure.

14. barbarossa

barbarossa Member

Oh, man...

A young Ronnie Earl on fire, cigarette smoking, pre-rehab, pre-spiritual. No hint of Coltranesque Santanaism yet. :rotflmao

I used to love him back then. I miss that period in music...

15. frank62

frank62 Member

Great player and great tone. I just watched an instruction video of his and it is full of him making very annoying smaking noises with his mouth. WTF?

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

He was sick as a dog when he made that video, with a serious fever. You can see how pale he is, as well.

It's still super-inspiring with some lessons that lots of players could stand to learn.

17. Jeff Michael

Jeff Michael Member

Ronnie Earl is my favorite guitarist in the world. I had the sheer good dumb luck to catch him live at Godfrey Daniels in Bethlehem PA in about '88. Changed my life. I made it a point to never miss him thereafter.

At GD's he always had a BFTR.

JAM

18. Ryguy

Ryguy Supporting Member

No doubt, I got to see most of the great blues guitarists that were alive and gigging in the late 80's/early 90's, including all the kings, Albert Collins, SRV many times, but I don't remember ever being quite so blown away buy anything guitar related as seeing Ronnie Earl do a slow blues, whisper to a SCREAM, epic solo at a blues fest in Mass., probably '89. The whole show was killer, (Danny Gatton played earlier), but the way he ripped through that tune, the amazing dynamics and simple yet astounding tonal variations he got with his guitar, just had a tremendous impact on me. I never bonded as much with his later forays into quasi-organ jazz, but playing straight ahead blues when he was at the top of his game....he was a bad mofo.

19. frank62

frank62 Member

Man, I bought the video because I think he is great and wanted to learn something. Thanks for clearing that up.

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

An inspiring musician, to say the very least.