SG Supreme Neck Dive Solution

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tbonesullivan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

So, while I love the looks and vintage sound of my SG Supreme, the grover tuners make it head stock-heavy, and also the nylon dunlop strap I was using just wasn't keeping it as stable as I would like when standing up.

This is the guitar in question:

[​IMG]

So, after asking a few people, two main things I could do came up: get a suede leather strap that wouldn't slip on my shoulder, and reduce the weight of the headstock. I decided to do both, so I googled, and found some Ebony replacement buttons for grover up at Elderly instruments, and also got a Levy's seude strap, as well as some more schaller straplocks, because I needed an extra pair, and it would mean I didn't have to remove the locks from the old strap.

[​IMG]

and the tuner pegs, before, during, and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End result? NO MORE NECK DIVE! Also I think the ebony tuner buttons look snazzy. as far as I can tell they are actual ebony wood, with a metal insert in the bottom/collar that goes around the tuner shaft. They are definitely lighter than the solid metal stock tuner buttons.

2. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Ebony tuner buttons? Looks cool. What do they feel like?

3. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Looks awesome! Good work!

4. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

like nicely worn pieces of wood. They might be "ebonoid" but I think they are real wood, probably stained. They are smooth, and sligh, and also feel less cool to the touch. also I don't need to worry about leaving fingerprints!

You can also get Ivoroid plastic replacement grover buttons, as well as ivoroid "imperial" style buttons. I was not into either of those. I think the ebony buttons look nice. Only question now is whether I leave that switch tip creme colored, or change it to black or something else.

5. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Get a custom-made black ebony switch tip to match the tuner buttons.

6. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

well, work ain't over yet. the AC in the summer seams to have put my neck almost perfectly straight. I like a little relief to help with string buzz.

7. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Cool deal. I've been swapping tuner buttons for years to lighten the weight of guitars, as well as reduce neck dive. Easy, cheap, and totally reversible.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward Gold Supporting Member

I wish I could change the ugly ones on my SG Special Faded. I'll probably get a new set of locking tuners later...

9. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

custom? Looks like someone already makes them! Now, am I actually willing to pay $15 for a switch tip? I only paid $26.00 for all 6 knobs.

http://dknob.com/switchtip.html

10. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

More money spent in the pursuit of vanity!

Really, it's just an idea. That's an isnane price IMHO....

11. CharlyG

I used a Sharpie on my white one!!! Guitarget didn't have a black one.....
    Less than a cent for ink from the pen...

and while we're at it, who came up with that ORANGE tip?

12. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Nice. Sharpie markers are a must in every gigbag/case....but only when used properly....I took a red Sharpie and made the white edge of a 3-ply 'guard red....looked terrible. I tried to cover it up with black, then realized that the edges were a different color the the face. So now an entire B/W/B 3-ply SG Pickguard is covered in Shaprie....and my SG has no pickguard on it! :D

13. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

Just tie some lead weights to the rear strap button to fix the neck dive. It's cheap and will come in handy if you want to go fishing.

14. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Somebody actually sells weights specifically for this, I can't remember what they're called though.....

15. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

well... it's easy to see. Maybe I should get an orange tip for the Supreme. Or, maybe not. I have an amber tip on one of my guitars, and it looks awesome.

16. CharlyG

So the audience can see it, maybe? {;^)

17. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Isn't it supposed to look like an old white one that faded?

I can't see how white can fade to orange......

18. CharlyG

This whole look like it's faded thing has got to go. I am sick of fake mojo!

says the one with a faded brown SG, but I didn't get it cuz of the fade, I got it cuz of the price!

19. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

yeah... I'll do my OWN fading. Fake mojo will always be fake mojo. I met a guy who picked up an LP deluxe back in the 70s, kahlerized it, and has had it ever since. It's now got a crack in the top during the dry months, had the tuners replaced, and had 2 refrets. Original case. It still LOOK nice though, but worn in. You CAN NOT fake that mojo.

More importantly, you can't fake the 30+ years of memories that the owner has of the guitar, the stories, the everything. Now that is what I consider mojo.

Also, fading? Once Gibson and other companies starting using dyes that didn't fade in 5 years, the whole fading thing went away. All you had then was nitro yellowing and now for the most part nitro is on the outs. I've got more than a few guitars with some use marks, slight mojo, but still look killer, and probably will still look killer in 20 years.

Anyway, I'm just glad my SG supreme will finally see some real use. one of these days I've gotta start offloading some of the "herd". 14 guitars is borderline too many for a hobby player like myself.

20. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

Yeah...big suede strap took care of neck dive for me on a guitar I used to own. Not sure if the tuners make that big a difference though...?