SHOW OFF your Supro, Silvertone, Danelectro, Alamo, and any OFF-BRAND AMP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by valcotone, Mar 11, 2009.

1. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

I love amps... and I really love many of the off brand amps that often are neglected and sitting in the dusty corner of some music shop.

Well here's a thread to show off your Supro, Valco, National, Danelectro, Silvertone, Alamo, Univox, Kalamazoo, Airline, Kay, Lectrolab, Teisco, Premier, Sano, Gretsch, Harmony.... etc.

If possible, PLEASE post tube line-up and speaker details... but don't let that stop you from posting pics if you don't have that info.

Here we go... here's my 1956 National Stage Star with (4) oval 6x11" Rola AlNiCo speakers, Tubes: 5V4, 6L6GB, 6L6GB, 6SC7 P/I, 5879 inst, 6SJ7 mic, 6SQ7 trem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Derwood

Derwood Supporting Member

I haven't taken any pictures of my own, but here's a clip of my Kalamazoo Reverb 12 posted by the shop before my girlfriend got it for me for Christmas. It was a very nice surprise. Pretty much all original with the cover and footswitch. I did remove the death cap and added a grounded plug. Planning on a different speaker and replacing the electrolytics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbAKy0Lwzo&feature=channel

3. korby

korby Supporting Member

Not the prettiest amp but it does have nice faux ostrich tolex .
    1960's Harmony H400A
    [​IMG]

4. sinner

sinner Member

The only pic I had handy:

1955 Supro Comet
    [​IMG]

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Alamo on the left. Love it.

[​IMG]

6. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

My 1960 National 1210 with the 1958 Town and Country:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Simto

Simto Member

This is my favourite "just going over for a little jam" / Holiday amp, i love it, it has a great warmth

[​IMG]

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Here my modded Marvel 35....I've never heard of it, but think it was a no name lapsteel amp back in the day. It was shot, so my buddy hot rodded it for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

Interesting - Marvel guitars were made by Kay, but that looks like a Harmony-built amp.

10. DavidG

DavidG Member

11. 6789

6789 Member

:drool:drool:drool:crazy:crazy:crazy:drool:drool

-------------------------------------------
    my ken watt's model 24 based on a supro 6424 circuit.

(2) 6973s, (1)5Y3 & (3) 12AX7s

[​IMG]

12. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I'm not sure what year it is but my mom picked it up at a yard sale for a $1.

[​IMG]

13. epluribus

epluribus Member

A pair of '66-ish Kalamazoo Model IIs. Got 'em as a pair, the one on the right was badly damaged. Made one very nice OEM amp out of the two, and the other is now a FrankenAmp. (Am Std Strat and an LP BlondeTop, bg.)

[​IMG]

A '69 Univox U-1221 w original footswitch. "100W" 2 x 6L6GC that actually pushes about sixty (but clean) with 620+V on the plates. Atop is the aforementioned FrankenAmp in early mod doing duty as sort of a Hertzoggian dirt pedal, back before the really major mods. Guitar: '85 Aria Pro II Ironman Standard. (The Nuge's auto on the wing. Likewise auto'd [different Ted tho) Weber Mass atop the Univox.)

[​IMG]

--Ray

14. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

Nice amps guys!!

Nigel11 - I believe yours is a mid-40's Supro amp.

Here are a few more:

1948 McKinney/Valco Supreme amp... 10" Rola field-coil speaker... tubes: 6J7, 6SC7, (2) 6V6GT, 5Y3.... I sold this one after posting this YouTube video

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1954 Eddie Alkire amp (same as the Supro Airline model 1666)... 10" Rola f/c speaker and 6sQ7, 6SC7, (2) 6V6, 5Y3 tubes... similar amp to the one above but sounds better:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1954 Bronson Melody King by Valco, similar to the National Sportsman or Deluxe... Jensen P12Q, tubes: 6SL7, 6SC7, 6L6G, 6L6G, 6AX5GT.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. sinner

sinner Member

Nice amps! I just wish everyone used one of these little guys--great tone at comfortable volume, because if everyone used one that's all anyone would need!

16. bunuel

bunuel Member

My Kalamazoo Reverb 12. 2 el84, 3 12ax7, reverb, trem, thru an eminence legend 10" alnico (best fit for the amp!). Inspiring lo-fi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bunuel

bunuel Member

Fairly rare silvertone. Contrary to the badge, it's not stereo or hi-fi. Great for raunchy early Ron Woods type tones. on of my fave single ended 6 watt amps, 6v6, 6x5gt, 12ax7. I've got Airline-badged dano w/ the same tube complement. Dunno if it's the primitive circuit or the tube lineup w/ 6x5 rectifier, but these are just great amps for rauncy ragged guitar tone. N. Daniels had it down, from circuitry to appearance, gotta love his stuff.

[​IMG]

18. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I used to have one VERY similar labeled "Aztek" that had 3 of those 6X9 speakers. It sounded fantastic and was one of my favorite amps ever for, believe it or not, bass tracks!

Here's my humble offering:

[​IMG]

Danelectro Maestro. 1x12" speaker, 2x6L6's. The amp's at my drummer's studio and I can't remember the other tubes. I know it has one of those 6SJ7's in it. It has 2 channels, and vibrato that's just delicious!

Great thread, BTW!!

19. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

Thanks for the info. I need to get it back to playing condition. It needs a speaker and tubes maybe but it still works. I have played through it but there is a hole in the speaker. I can't believe my mom found it at a yard sale for a buck.

20. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

National 1964 mod#1201 and 65 Rocket 2 that had been closeted for 40+ years.
    275.00 for both last week :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]