Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaptainAwesome, Feb 23, 2013.

1. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

This looks interesting.

From the Skreddy Site: "I've taken every single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module and combined them into a format specifically tuned for humbucking pickups--quite a few changes and improvements! So if you love your Les Paul and haven't found a Skreddy Pedal you bond with yet, this one's for you."

http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.htm

[​IMG]

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Interesting indeed. :)

3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Cool. Interest piqued....

4. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Supporting Member

Ah, so close to a Lunar Driver!!!

5. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Lunar Module is an excellent pedal so I'd imagine this should be nice as well. I personally don't really enjoy fuzz with buckers though so it may not be for me.

I love a fuzz with my strat into a clean or just slightly broken up amp, but with my LP's I like straight ahead amp distortion and never really found I liked the dynamics, or lack there of with the hotter pups.

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Humbuckers Hmmm.....

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I LOVE my Screwdriver with my Les Pauls humbuckers. Curious about this in how it compares. Looks like a Screwdriver with a bc109 input stage instead of mosfet? So maybe more fuzzy capabilities than a Screwdriver?

8. papersun

papersun Supporting Member

Aw crap.

9. thesooze

thesooze Supporting Member

I'd like to know, in Marc's words, what the "single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module" are... :)

10. Ben S.

Ben S. Silver Supporting Member

lol, that is the exact thing I just said.

I love my LM, and have been tempted to get a SD for years.

11. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Supporting Member

It always amazes me that when you think you've finished buying gear and nothing else out there could possibly interest you, somebody comes along with something that you just have to have. It just never stops.

12. keenan

keenan Supporting Member

Step 1: Don't go on tGP

:)

13. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

Looks like this and the new Bearfoot Candy Apple Fuzz may be in competition.

14. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Interesting that it's voiced for Humbuckers.. May have to check this out and make it my first Skreddy pedal.

15. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

The Lunar's input is better suited for humbuckers and cleans up better with the guitar volume. I don't like how the Screw Driver's mosfet input sounds congested with humbuckers or how it darkens slightly when you clean up with the guitar volume. I designed the Screw Driver to not need the guitar volume for clean-up, and it was built using my Strat to achieve all it's target tones; in other words I make Pagey tones with my Strat -> Screw Driver, and I don't bother playing much with the volume knob when I play my Strat.

When you play a Les Paul style guitar, it's really part of the whole experience to adjust the volume controls to dial in the tone, and in my experience I generally have the pickup selector in the middle position and rarely have either volume knob full up.

The Lunar Module's input has zero headroom when using humbuckers. Great for fuzz, but not for cleans or overdrive (like it is with singles).

I love how the Screw Driver's hybrid fuzz (silicon -> germanium) section creates a proper vintage amp-like distortion with its soft edges and how it gets syrupy when you crank its gain, never harsh. And I love how the Lunar Module gets lots more fuzz and aggression and maintains a more neutral EQ rather than a jangly EQ signature like the Screw Driver (which certainly has its place, 'cause hey; variety is the spice of life).

So I started with the Lunar Module's input into the Screw Driver's output section and re-tuned it, both gain-wise and EQ-wise, to work with humbuckers (I'm using my Ibanez SZ520 with vintage Maxon PAF-style humbuckers, which is very close to a '59 Les Paul sonically and electronically) just as well as both pedals do with my Strat (that has Bill Lawrence L-280S noiseless singles).

Here is a list of changes:
    - using Screw Driver's .047uf input capacitor instead of the Lunar's 10uf input cap
    - limited the overall gain of the input transistor to give it more headroom
    - changed the gain control of the input transistor from full-range boost to mid boost
    - removed the high-cut from the bass side of the "tightness" control to retain clarity even when in bassy mode
    - increased the series resistor on the bass side of the "tightness" control by a great deal so it doesn't overwhelm the fuzz section with boosted bass and excess volume when in bassy mode--instead just has a very natural sounding flubbiness at full counter-clock-wise and of course a tight, but not overly thin, response at full clockwise (much like the Lunar Module at this end of the range), and a neutral EQ at noon
    - decreased the filter cap of the 2nd silicon transistor, by a bit, for better high-end clarity
    - increased the output volume so that unity gain with loud pickups is still noon on the volume pot (with the Lunar it would have to be turned up to like 2:00 o'clock if I'm not mistaken)
    - different output capacitor to match the openness of the humbucker's EQ when in bypass

So I ended up with the same clarity and touch sensitivity as the Screw Driver when using single coils has, excellent volume-knob cleanup, neutral and open EQ, and hotter range of fuzz available than the Screw Driver. Such a pleasure to finally be able to play with 'buckers and hear the same clear string attack and openness into a nice overdrive as it gets straight into the amp (better, even). And the fuzz sustains nice and liquid but not nasty sounding.

16. thesooze

Well there you go!! Thanks so much Marc.

How does the pedal sound with your Strat?

17. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

^^^exellent post. Thanks Marc.

18. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I have absolutely not even plugged my Strat into it yet. I did not want a single consideration for single coils to enter into my thinking until I was totally finished. And I have a hard time leaving well enough alone, so I thought it best to not tempt myself to do any further tweaking and just perfect it for the target application period.

I would venture to guess that it might be somewhat like the BJF Honey Bee with singles, though, only with lots more available gain and fuzz. Oh did I say BJF? I meant Klon. :banana

19. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

This sounds great. I'm a full-on humbucker user.

20. thesooze

Sweet. That's good to focus like that!

I had the Screwdriver but sold it when I got my LMDX. This one intrigues me as a mix of the two pedals, but I'm not much of a humbucker player. :messedup