Snow White Wah vs Discumbobulator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've watched the demos, read the press... for those of you that have both, how would you compare & contrast the two?

I recently go a Boss Dynamic Wah, and I LOVE the effect. But all the bottom drops out when it's engaged. I'd like it to not rape my base tone, espcially the low end, when engaged. So I've decided to srop some real coin on a really good one.

I know the Emma is coming out with a mkII version this year, anybody got the scuttlebutt on that?

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

I have 'em both .. the SWR is much more of a rock toned autowah IMO ...
    It's overall attack is softer then the Emma...
    The Emma has a lot more snap & quack ...
    Just a matter of preference of reference to the genre one might use it in ...

MK11 version ... really? Would like to know more about that too ..!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

So, would you say the Emma would be more "funky" (as opposed to the snow white "rock"?)

4. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

The SWAW is really a strange beast. At first it seems a bit limited but the 4 controls are very interactive and after a bit of practice you can achieve different types of autowah/filter effects. It's really a fat and smooth device, very analog and liquid sounding, without any artifacts you can hear on many filters (I could not stand the Maxon because of that) but it's not as quacky as a EHX Q-Tron. I find it so fat it's almost too much, I like to put it in a wet/dry blender so I can retain the original attack of the notes.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

"fat" & "smooth" are always descriptors I look for, but since I'm new to Auto-wah, I'm not really sure how much quack I want... I know the amount of quack in the AW-3 is fine, but that pedal robs all low end... making it somewhat anemic compared to the dry signal.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:bumpbump

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had both and chose to stick with my Emma. I did experiment a lot with the SWAW. The controls are very interactive and there are a lot of sounds in the pedal, but for I could never match the top end bite and sharpness of the Emma. For funk, I think the Emma is the winner.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Comparing the PGS vids, the SWAW sounds warmer/rounder than the Emma, which seems to be the opposite of what you're saying...? I'll say that I don't like high peaks... I had a CAE wah, and I LOVED the red fasel (darker), but didn't care for the yellow fasel (brighter). So I'm looking to apply that to an auto wah.

9. Lucidology

Exactly my experience & my conclusion ...

10. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Ive tried for a few minutes to put together a paragraph that explains this, but the words elude me... So, in simple terms, the Emma is more pronounced IMO and has the "true" Funk sound. The SWAW doesn't nail this as well (from the demos i have heard), but given it's flexibility I am guessing it could get close.

I bought an Emma a few months ago and haven't researched Envelope Filters since...for the money it has my vote.

11. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Got an Emma recently for the same reason. Bottom was dropping out of my MXR-120 auto-Q. I am very satisfied now with the Emma. Finally! An auto wah that doesn't kill my tone.

12. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc <<== I made this Gold Supporting Member

I am also trying to decide between the two and am looking for the Jerry Garcia tone (Grateful Dead) especially the song Estimated Prophet as a tone reference. I cant find a clip that shows either doing that, but I have heard the Emma is a Mutron clone(?)

13. Lucidology

The Emma hands down ... & that's coming from a Funkster

14. mjm59

mjm59 Member

This one sounds interesting and has the Hi/Band/Lo pass filters that the Mutron has (in case you're looking for that Jerry tone, I think there's a reason it's called the Super Fatman):

15. thesjkexperienc

HA! I LOVE IT! I am listening to it now. Not sure why they put the DC jack in the way of a RT angle cord going into input?

I cant find a good demo of the Emma Pedal. Even on the Emma site, so maybe a version 2 is in the mix?

I have never owned a pedal of this type, so I am not too sure what I need to look for and I suppose this type of pedal(s) is THE most rig dependent of any sort.

16. thesjkexperienc

Thanks, I suspect someone from Monterey has a good idea of what I am talking about ;)

17. Lucidology

There's an actual setting to do the JC thing ...
    & yeah, Jerry was a big hero of mine when I first started out ...
    & then in the last few years of his life I was very fortunate enough to hang out with him several times when he would come to the Monterey/Carmel area ...

18. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I have heard that the EHX Qtrons were decent in doing Jerry stuff, Heard a dynamite version of "Estimated Prophet " tonight on a new DVD from 89 the Dead released, A show in Philly, in fact, the whole show is killer.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

When I first posted this thread, the Emma website said a v.2 WAS coming. But now I can find no such info on their site???

20. thesjkexperienc

It would be bad for current sales to mention a new model coming out, but who knows.

I missed out on an Emma and a SWAW tonight, so I have to sit and wait a bit longer. :cry:

Has anyone used a fuzz after the Emma Discumbobulator? I was wondering how friendly the buffer is with other pedals.