So has anyone compared the new Gibson layered rosewood boards to a non layered?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, May 2, 2012.

1. Tom60

Tom60 Senior Member

+1
    Problem is, some people do not realise that the fingerboard isn´t there just to rest fingers on..

Fingerboard material IMO acts instead like a sonic filter, transferring vibration from strings/frets to the neck, with a vast number of possible effects on that - suppressing some frequencies while augmenting other, also influencing attack, etc etc.

While I have not yet played a layered RW board or richlite or whatnot, I can easily imagine that these stop-gap inventions´ sound -
    or pehaps more precisely the feel of tone shaping - would be different.

2. Strat

Strat Member

mine sounds fine and my closet Queen comparisons are some early 60's models. But then again I actually play my stuff in front of people so what do I know....

3. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Would the layered RW vs unlayered make as big a tone or feel difference than Brazilian RW vs Indian? Don't know. What could be done is to check the resonance of a layered vs unlayered fingerboard blank. You can strike nearly any rosewood fingerboard blank and it will make a musical note. Does the layering change this resonance, I.e.dampen it or shift the frequency?

It may be worth considering that on a guitar with neck binding, the only way you can definitively tell if the fingerboard is layered is to remove the nut. That would bring in a lot of uncertainty During resale I'd think.

4. coreybox

coreybox Supporting Member

My layered es330 sounds spectacular. I wouldn't have guessed it was a laminated board without reading about it.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I can just see it now, kids in 2018 modding their Les Pauls by replacing a layer.

6. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

You're asking a lot of this group. :)

7. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

But are the boards too thin for Gibson's design?

Would 6mm boards be a compromise for Gibson ... where as they are fine for other designs?

:dunno

8. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

I just saw one at the local guitar center for the first time... eerr, it looked weird. the color was off. I didnt play it so not sure if it sounds the same or not. I think my next guitar will be a suhr, fender, or prs...until all this blows over and Gibson goes back to the original manufacturing methods.